deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: Best Beginner BiColor Deck?  (Leído 7072 veces)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Best Beginner BiColor Deck?
« Respuesta #15 en: Abril 12, 2016, 10:28:14 pm »
    I think that most of us can agree that a lot of the lingo that we use comes from varying places as far as this game goes. As long as we aren't calling R/G decks selesnya (selesnya is the G/W guild from Ravnica) then we're cool. Also @ robort, the colors of the guilds really are not that confusing. In fact, it was because of the Ravnica guilds that we get the names for our dual color decks. Just how people call U/W/B decks ESPER (from the shards of Alara block). The names are not meant to confuse anyone, they're present to help make identifying color schemes and deck types more easy. In all honesty it's because of looking at the card lore for different blocks and actually playing with those sets that made it easier for me to learn (I still have trouble with the 4-color names but I'll get there eventually).

Also back to this person that you're trying to introduce to MTG, what kind of person is he/she? Could you describe them a bit, maybe 3-4 character traits that best describe this individual?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Respuesta #16 en: Abril 12, 2016, 11:58:42 pm »
Depends on the power level of your deck.

There's a deck under my decks in the kids folder called "my daughters first deck" that I built for my daughter when she was starting to play. She was 9 at the time but had played other tcg's. She actually took 5th at a FNM with it so it's a decent deck for a beginner.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #17 en: Abril 13, 2016, 12:19:01 am »
  I think that's pretty cool man, young people pick up stuff pretty easy when they enjoy it.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Respuesta #18 en: Abril 13, 2016, 10:25:26 pm »
Try to shy away from counterspells when building a beginner deck. They can be very confusing for some people starting out.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Respuesta #19 en: Abril 14, 2016, 03:43:10 pm »
Creativity comes from the title, calling every deck Golgari, Esper, Jeskai ect... Leaves no room in creating a title for a deck
one has created. Not everyone is going to call a bi colored deck just because it was implimeted in a
certain block. While I admire the reason(s) why which Gmoto shown. It isn't "law", "rules" or "etched in stone".
Just like certain aspects of the game per say what's used for tokens or what's used for counters.
Even where your exile zone is.

Just because some pros title it that way, doesn't mean we "should, need or have to" just because
they do.

As for keeping it simple. First it's a public forum, second when someone asks you/us a question .
You/we won't always know if the person asking is a beginner or seasoned veteran. IF an
answer isn't broke down to simplicity, the person who asked may still be confused and we
wouldn't know it. "lurkers", people who read this forum without ever posting can also be confused.
However being to simple as writing the color scheme as w/b/r/g/u can confuse. I remember first
starting and going what color is U? Understanding it now it's blue. That's why I try to type out the colors
as white/black/red/green/blue.

Now again I admire gmoto, but with me I look at the abilities of cards and what do I have that
can deal with those abilities. For instance primordial hydra is green but if I don't have any
way to deal with the abilities , I am now up the creek without a paddle or I need to kill you fast.
Never mind that you have now dropped ancient hellkite.
« Última modificación: Abril 14, 2016, 03:46:49 pm por robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

aizbert065

• Decks
« Respuesta #20 en: Abril 14, 2016, 04:12:03 pm »
I suggest you to combine an aggro color (red-green) with a control one (white-black-blue). that should be the best combination for beginners. the one i would have suggested you is white-green, but if you already have got it then i suggest rakdos (red-black) if he wants a violent deck very hard to beat, a golgari (green-black) NO ELVES if he wants to play a consisten deck with powerful and cheap creatures or izzet (blue-red) when he'll better in the game. if you want i can make the decks i mean, then post 'em here  :)

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Respuesta #21 en: Abril 14, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
Creativity comes from the title, calling every deck Golgari, Esper, Jeskai ect... Leaves no room in creating a title for a deck
one has created. Not everyone is going to call a bi colored deck just because it was implimeted in a
certain block. While I admire the reason(s) why which Gmoto shown. It isn't "law", "rules" or "etched in stone".
Just like certain aspects of the game per say what's used for tokens or what's used for counters.
Even where your exile zone is.

Just because some pros title it that way, doesn't mean we "should, need or have to" just because
they do.

As for keeping it simple. First it's a public forum, second when someone asks you/us a question .
You/we won't always know if the person asking is a beginner or seasoned veteran. IF an
answer isn't broke down to simplicity, the person who asked may still be confused and we
wouldn't know it. "lurkers", people who read this forum without ever posting can also be confused.
However being to simple as writing the color scheme as w/b/r/g/u can confuse. I remember first
starting and going what color is U? Understanding it now it's blue. That's why I try to type out the colors
as white/black/red/green/blue.

Now again I admire gmoto, but with me I look at the abilities of cards and what do I have that
can deal with those abilities. For instance primordial hydra is green but if I don't have any
way to deal with the abilities , I am now up the creek without a paddle or I need to kill you fast.
Never mind that you have now dropped ancient hellkite.

Ah now i see what you mean. I agree that they should not be part of the deck title. However if someone is unfamiliar with a deck and they ask what it is the color terms are helpful to quickly identify it. The only deck i use a color descriptor in the title of is my control toolbox deck, and that is because other color combinations could also make up a control toolbox.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #22 en: Abril 14, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
      @robort, now that makes more sense man, I understand what you mean. Usually when I'm typing on the forum or talking to a beginner you'll usually see my type out Rakdos (B/R) or Esper (Blue//White/Black). Indeed you're right, The Color Identity Of The Deck Does Not Have To Be In The Title Of The Deck. If THAT's where you were going with this then i completely agree with you. My only suggestion is that even if you keep it simple at first, still offer them the opportunity to learn what they mean later on. Usually when I play with friends casually they'll bring their own decks and I'll immediately ask; do you have any Golgari or B/G decks? Reason why I do it both ways is because even though MTG has visited the world of Ravnica TWICE already, not that many people who played it or grew up with it will understand what the guild names imply. Same thing for the shards on alara or the clans from Tarkir. But once that person gets to a certain level you should definitely teach them this. After all Information is like a tool, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Brokenbeer

• Decks
« Respuesta #23 en: Abril 14, 2016, 11:57:38 pm »
As a new person to the game and to the forum, I appreciate the various deck names in this thread because it brings up questions I can ask people.  I played M:TG around the Mirrodin block, but even then I was barely casual.  I didn't know about deck names and lore, because nobody used them or talked about it.  I feel that my first few times playing this game lacked a depth I'm finding in it now.

You can't live somebody else's life for them, and keeping it simple may rob others of chances to learn.  So don't worry about what other people know or don't know.  It's up to us to ask questions.  I'm only responding to this because I don't want people to think every time they use lingo they will be attacked.

Please, from a completely new person to the workings of this game, continue to use lingo.  Because languages grow and evolve and the lingo of the game is a common tongue to those in the know.  It symbolizes stories and strategies and to say it shouldn't be used because somebody may not know what it means is ridiculous.  The way you learn language is by exposure to it.  So don't fight people to get them to stop using the lingo, embrace it. 

As to the original argument that "calling every deck Golgari, Esper, Jeskai ect... [sic] Leaves no room in creating a title for a deck one has created" that's simply not true.  Think of cash, currency, dollars, greenbacks... Several names for a single concept - money.  A deck can be called whatever you want.  You can call it your elf deck even if there are no elves in it.  But when you're trying to explain to another player what it is, you may say "B/G" or Golgari (I learned that in this thread!) just as easily as somebody can say cash, currency, dollars, greenbacks, etc...

Ironically, the whole fight and being adamant about whether or not somebody should be allowed to call things by certain names has done nothing but attempt to derail the thread.
« Última modificación: Abril 15, 2016, 12:00:47 am por Brokenbeer »

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Respuesta #24 en: Abril 15, 2016, 03:11:31 am »
As a new person to the game and to the forum, I appreciate the various deck names in this thread because it brings up questions I can ask people.  I played M:TG around the Mirrodin block, but even then I was barely casual.  I didn't know about deck names and lore, because nobody used them or talked about it.  I feel that my first few times playing this game lacked a depth I'm finding in it now.

You can't live somebody else's life for them, and keeping it simple may rob others of chances to learn.  So don't worry about what other people know or don't know.  It's up to us to ask questions.  I'm only responding to this because I don't want people to think every time they use lingo they will be attacked.

Please, from a completely new person to the workings of this game, continue to use lingo.  Because languages grow and evolve and the lingo of the game is a common tongue to those in the know.  It symbolizes stories and strategies and to say it shouldn't be used because somebody may not know what it means is ridiculous.  The way you learn language is by exposure to it.  So don't fight people to get them to stop using the lingo, embrace it. 

As to the original argument that "calling every deck Golgari, Esper, Jeskai ect... [sic] Leaves no room in creating a title for a deck one has created" that's simply not true.  Think of cash, currency, dollars, greenbacks... Several names for a single concept - money.  A deck can be called whatever you want.  You can call it your elf deck even if there are no elves in it.  But when you're trying to explain to another player what it is, you may say "B/G" or Golgari (I learned that in this thread!) just as easily as somebody can say cash, currency, dollars, greenbacks, etc...

Ironically, the whole fight and being adamant about whether or not somebody should be allowed to call things by certain names has done nothing but attempt to derail the thread.

Well spoken, sir. I salute your willingness and openness to the possibility learning (which is teacher-speak for you have an open mind). People usually gdo this because that's how people describe them. They are used interchangeably.

back to the topic at hand....

The easiest (and least finicky) deck is a mono-colored deck. most people would agree to this statement.

if you insist on a two-colored deck, I would choose a deck with complementary colors.
    Colors                              Strong against
White/Blue                                 Red
Blue/Black                                Green
Black/Red                                 White
Red/Green                                Blue
Green/White                             Black

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #25 en: Abril 15, 2016, 05:46:13 am »
    @brokenbeer, I respect your honesty and willingness to speak your opinion on this topic. Regardless of being a new person I want to say WELCOME to OUR online forum.

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Respuesta #26 en: Abril 15, 2016, 06:31:17 am »
    @brokenbeer, I respect your honesty and willingness to speak your opinion on this topic. Regardless of being a new person I want to say WELCOME to OUR online forum.
@brokenbeer welcome to the club. sorry, we are out of crackers, but if you need anything else just ask

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Respuesta #27 en: Abril 15, 2016, 08:24:34 pm »

See you put your big boy pants on and brought your soapbox. *standing* on soapbox and *puffing chest out*. Sorry that doesn't work for me. I know what does though.
1st It doesn't rob you of anything, just need to ask another or more questions. This was proven when question about creativity was asked. Or you to busy using rose colored glasses that you didn't notice?
2nd Attacked? Again with rose colored glasses and missed the part of "admire". Would you feel better if I said admire to everyone so the don't feel left out?
3rd So your saying I am not in the know? So anybody who doesn't use lingo just doesn't know? They have no clue?
May as come out and say "we aren't smart and shouldn't be posting at all". Again using rose colored glasses is definately becoming of you. To actually think I said "don't use" when again "admire" comes into play is lets use your words "ridiculious".
4th I am not out to stop anybody about lingo, storylines, et-cetra. If you wish to add to a very "BIG" comprehenive rule book by adding more lingo, storylines, et-cetra then again I "admire" you. Some of us want to keep it simple and just
"play" the "game". "Knowing" the lingo, storylines, et-cetra is a bonus.
5th Apparently those rose colored glasses got in the way again. Read the entire part on what I said about creativity. Then when you title your elf deck as elves and there are no elves in it. Don't cry to me when I call you misleading, distrustfull, and  coniving.
6th and final derail? Those rose colored glasses got in the way again. There was more lingo on more color combinations brought up that your glasses allowed you to miss. Now since we are talking lingo and finger pointing. You wish to be the pot or kettle because by lingo definition you are trolling.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Respuesta #28 en: Abril 16, 2016, 02:40:20 am »

See you put your big boy pants on and brought your soapbox. *standing* on soapbox and *puffing chest out*. Sorry that doesn't work for me. I know what does though.
1st It doesn't rob you of anything, just need to ask another or more questions. This was proven when question about creativity was asked. Or you to busy using rose colored glasses that you didn't notice?
2nd Attacked? Again with rose colored glasses and missed the part of "admire". Would you feel better if I said admire to everyone so the don't feel left out?
3rd So your saying I am not in the know? So anybody who doesn't use lingo just doesn't know? They have no clue?
May as come out and say "we aren't smart and shouldn't be posting at all". Again using rose colored glasses is definately becoming of you. To actually think I said "don't use" when again "admire" comes into play is lets use your words "ridiculious".
4th I am not out to stop anybody about lingo, storylines, et-cetra. If you wish to add to a very "BIG" comprehenive rule book by adding more lingo, storylines, et-cetra then again I "admire" you. Some of us want to keep it simple and just
"play" the "game". "Knowing" the lingo, storylines, et-cetra is a bonus.
5th Apparently those rose colored glasses got in the way again. Read the entire part on what I said about creativity. Then when you title your elf deck as elves and there are no elves in it. Don't cry to me when I call you misleading, distrustfull, and  coniving.
6th and final derail? Those rose colored glasses got in the way again. There was more lingo on more color combinations brought up that your glasses allowed you to miss. Now since we are talking lingo and finger pointing. You wish to be the pot or kettle because by lingo definition you are trolling.

Robort, I love you like a bro.
1st - Both points are moot. It's just common phrasing. I don't like how people all call tissue paper Kleenex, but I make do. it's almost as bad as when people use "alright" instead of "all right."
2nd - I'm not sure who attacked whom. as for admiration, I admire a lot of people who were able to make a mark on the world, but I don't have  to like them or what they represent. for example, I admire Hitler for his ability to unite his people. I do not like what he stood for or what he did. I think that Jingoism is bad in all forms.
3rd - I'm not sure he was trying to be disrespectful, but I'm sure it just came out wrong. Stupid English.
4th - KISS is usually the way to go, but I see no harm in letting the fanatical use their fancy names. I never call my decks other than the colors or the theme I'm going after. Beside, who would call a rainbow deck a Progenitus deck. That's just bonkers.
5th - Elf decks with no Elves is like a hamburger with no meat.
6th - Who drank the haterade today? Not me!

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #29 en: Abril 16, 2016, 06:33:44 am »
       Ok guys, before we go any further on this topic (or deviation from the original posting question), I want to say something. Even if we all use different wordings for what we do there's no need for anyone to feel like they are doing anything wrong. As far as wording, lingo and color combo/deck names go people will do whatever they want. This is an online forum, a community where people can get together and share their diversity with others with hopefully minimum judgement. @robort, I understand that you have your personal views on the subject and that maybe making things simpler makes the game easier to play. But let me ask you something; what's the point of putting together a puzzle if it's easy to solve? What's the point of going on a treasure hunt if you already know where all the hiding spots are? Robort, its not the simplicity that makes this game fun, its the opportunity to let other people discover new things for themselves. To turn over rocks that haven't even been discovered, to travel to worlds not ventured before, to grow as individuals. It's that pursuit of knowledge and the chance to find your own special way of doing things that makes us who we are bud.

Everyone on this forum or that's reading this post I want you to know this; CREATIVITY IN ANY FASHION WILL ALWAYS BE FOSTERED AND ENCOURAGED ON THIS FORUM. Some of us are young and others older but we all have things to teach one another. Lets just make the most of the time that we have and the chances that we have of meeting each other on this online domain. And trust me, after this long discussion that has gone from the moon on back, I think that it may be time to put this topic to rest. As far as the original topic goes someone actually gave their opinion on it a while ago; [from EBWonder]

if you insist on a two-colored deck, I would choose a deck with complementary colors.
    Colors                              Strong against
White/Blue                                 Red
Blue/Black                                Green
Black/Red                                 White
Red/Green                                Blue
Green/White                             Black

If you agree with this then ok, if you don't then please post your opinion of what you think is best and why. Either way I still stand by my original ideal, No matter what deck you give a person they have to have a natural aptitude for that deck. Yes these are all simple because these Bi-color decks are ALLIED COLORS, but if you're going to teach a new person how to play let THEM choose from one of these decks. This way THAT PERSON will know what works best for them. It's like trying on pants, you can't give someone else a pair of pants just because they fit you comfortably. Offer them a chance to try on a large selection and let them find what's their style.