deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Boros Heroic (Modern)  (Read 8743 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Boros Heroic (Modern)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 02:24:10 pm »
Thanks!

It's just a tourney at one of the LGS but several regulars go to GP's and do pretty well so it should be a good test for the deck. I made sure they were all going to be there before I signed up since they're the ones I'm wanting to face in tournament conditions to get a true feel for the deck.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »
  Sounds like a plan. And remember, your deck appears to use little guys that get big so watch out for;
1) Mass board removal, 2) graveyard shenanigans, 3) High toughness blockers, 4) Token/Enchantment hate, and 5) Hand disruption. Not saying you will encounter these but if I were playing you these are the tactics that I would use AGAINST you. Keep these in mind ok man?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »
Definitely! Thanks again man!
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 03:38:37 am »
Someone suggested Nahiri's Machinations but just can't decide if it's worth it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:45:56 am by G.Moto »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 05:47:43 am »
    It's definitely worth it. Having any one of your creatures become indestructible for FREE every turn and then paying two to automatically burn a defending creature is great. If your creature has first or double strike then it will always survive combat.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 12:30:43 am »
I may wait on testing it after this weekend's tourney. The deck is running so good right now I don't want to mess it up.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 11:50:32 am »
  When in doubt side board it and see how it turns out.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 04:04:17 am »
6-1 at the tournament, 2nd place.

Beat one of the GP players RDW first round 2-1, which surprised me because he smashed me first game. Second game I sideboarded in Path to Exile & Rebuff the Wicked and won both games kind of easily though a little more slowly than I'm use to (not hitting as many heroic triggers early on and playing more defensive to outlast him).

Second round was an Eldrazi Aggro 2-0. My deck was just too fast for it, especially without him  having access to Eye of Ugin. The second game he gave a good fight and was closer but he just couldn't keep pace.

Third round I lost to the Hatebear deck of another GP player 1-2. It was really well built and shocked me with some of the combat tricks he sideboarded in during the third game. This guy never plays combat tricks at all. He knew we all knew that and boy did he take advantage of it. (This guy won the tournament 7-0).

Fourth round I beat a Hatebear deck 2-0 that wasn't as efficient as the previous once I played, he couldn't keep up with the speed of my deck.

Fifth round I played a semi mirror match and won 2-0. Other deck was built around instants to trigger heroic and he was beating me early the first game but ran out of steam once he started topdecking, then it swung quickly in my favor with my enchantment version (Ethereal Armor & Madcap Skills) having staying power. Second game wasn't even close after I sideboarded in Gitaxian Probes to make sure I kept drawing and Path to Exile for removal.

Sixth round I played an infect deck and swept it 2-0. It was never a threat at all. I feel like the guy gave up once he saw the speed of my deck.

Final round I beat UW control 1-0-1 & the other GP player. First game he couldn't keep pace. Second game he sideboarded in a few more creatures and had enough blockers to hold back what creatures he couldn't remove. I just couldn't find a good footing to take control but I was able to hold him off enough that second game came down to turns, was a draw, and no ability to play a third game.

The speed of the deck won several games on it's on but the ability to sideboard in control pieces and slow down how I played the deck was just as big in several other games. Overall I was very happy with how the deck played and my sideboard choices.

Now it's time to start debating putting Phalanx Leader in & playtest Thalia's Lieutenant.

ETA- Spirit Mantle is also on the possibility list, but Twinflame is off- just too many times it was a dead draw.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:20:27 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 06:31:45 am »
  Dude those are some great games, I'm glad that it all turned out so well for you. As far as the two Mono-White creatures it would really depend on how you play the deck. If you're playing lots of humans and/or human tokens then go for thalia's lieutenant, if you're focusing on instant and sorcery spells then go for the phalanx leader.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 09:19:46 am »
Thalia's Lieutenant didn't make the cut, there were times it was a bomb but there were times it just sat there as I'm casting spells to hit the heroic triggers. Spirit Mantle didn't make the cut either though it has sideboard possibility once I have decided on the other possibility I'm looking at now...

Came across my old Bogles deck the other day still sleeved up, and been thinking about adding G to this for Rancor & Alpha Authority main board (in place of Boros Charm & Chained to the Rocks), would move Boros Charm to the sideboard in place of Deflecting Palm (have yet to come across a situation where I put it in), add Nature's Claim to sideboard in place of Gitaxian Probe, and Phalanx Leader main board for Champion of the Parish (starting to run into the same thing with it as I did Thalia's Lieutenant).
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 05:39:41 pm »
   Well the thing about phalanx leader is that once he gets strong enough then he won't be as easy to remove anyway. But for thalia's lieutenant you may want to consider adding cards such as strength of arms and ulvenwald mysteries. The clues will help speed up the deck as far as draw power goes, the tokens produced will trigger your lieutenant and either way you'll have mana to use if you don't draw an instant or sorcery to target your phalanx leader. Just some ideas, the key to making a creature token deck working well is to make sure you have a steady flow of creatures regardless of what you draw. If that's not the overall focus then I can understand that but it is good for building up a small army fast. I think that's what you should focus most on her, make your tokens first then build them up for the swing or block you need.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 06:36:37 am »
Those cards would be awesome but this isn't a token deck really (you do have me thinking about my GW extended deck now...). There's only one generator in it, but it's actually the least of the one drops (other than Champion of the Parish). Monastery Swiftspear & Favored Hoplite are much more powerful in this deck as it's not unusual for either of them to be swinging for 9-15 damage on t3 after swinging for 5-10 on t2.

Alpha Authority would be huge in this deck for it's synergy with Madcap Skills; that and my love for Rancor are the biggest two reasons I'm considering adding G to the deck. Enchantments with Ethereal Armor are the power behind this deck, actually more-so than the heroic/prowess triggers but they work well with the heroic/prowess triggers due to the added buffs from targeting the creatures with those abilities.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 07:22:31 am »
Ok so we have a few methods on running this deck: Naya, Boros, Gruul and Selesnya are all color pairings that could work with this type of deck. You want to use Green so you can use your favorite cards, well why not add that color? IF your deck does not focus on tokens then remove the cards that only work PART of the time and anything token themed. Focus on either the small creatures that grow quickly and hit multiple times or the big creatures that become hard to remove and swing harder as well. It really falls down to not what cards to add, but WHAT DO YOU WANT THE CARDS THAT POSSES TO DO?