deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help with my First ever deck  (Read 732 times)

Alimi

• Decks
Help with my First ever deck
« on: May 26, 2016, 01:24:57 am »
Yo, i'm going straight to the point: I suck at building decks. That's what i've made so far: http://deckstats.net/decks/65883/496718-test

I want a sincere opinion on what i could do to improve it, in a ~cheap~ way, if possible. I'm kinda confused on what strategy i'll use, and that adds to the mess that is my deck.

If there's any essential creatures, spells, lands that i could use, i'll be happy to know. Thanks in advance  :)

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: Help with my First ever deck
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:02:18 am »
Since you're in green-black, you could make a pretty decent efficient-creatures-and-removal deck on the cheap. Putrid Leech, Dreg Mangler, Nekrataal, Reaper of the Wilds, Spiritmonger, Consume Strength, and Putrefy are all inexpensive and fairly strong.

You could also try for something rampier, using green mana acceleration to cast powerful expensive creatures quickly.

And of course green-black is good for graveyard shenanigans.

Regardless, you need a plan. At the moment your deck just looks like a bunch of cards; there's no way to know how to improve it until you decide which direction you wanna go in.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:02:10 am »
   Looking at your deck I have found a way that your deck can be salvaged and turned into something lethal. Here's what you should do (*note, all of this is a matter of opinion, you do not HAVE to do as I suggest if your opinion changes later):

Creatures- Keep Gurmag swiftwing, stonefare crocodile, hooded assassin, sedge scorpion, sluiceway scorpion, ambush viper, nemesis of mortals, deadly recluse, child of night, defiant bloodlord, vampire outcasts. Remove everything else. This equals 13 creatures (which you can add to later).

Spells- Keep Joyous respite, macabre waltz, deadly allure, tragic slip, titanic growth, doom blade, cruel feeding, mark of the vampire, and awaken the bear. This equals 12 spells.

Lands- Run 4 of jungle hollow and add some more green to the deck (cause you're going to need it for what I suggest).

*This leaves your deck at 50 cards. Additions that should be considered: rabid bite, prey upon, time to feed, pathway arrows, spidery grasp, grim contest, grim discovery, skeletal grimace, burst of strength and aim high. This will put your deck at about 60 cards. I would ask that you get multiples of the cards that you like. This way you can build some consistency into your deck. Also as you can see a lot of the spells i Recommended involve fighting or your creatures indirectly dealing damage. That's because with the death touch no matter how little that damage is you can wipe out entire swarms of creatures if played right.

Also keep in mind that there is no perfect deck builder and that we all started from somewhere. Even I wasn't as good as I was when I first started playing. Thankfully my years playing other card games helped but it took practice and constructive criticism along the way to help me out. Just like we're doing for you, we're giving you advice from our experience. But the important thing is for you to learn what you want from your own decks. This way you can learn your own play styles and run your deck like its the back of your hand.

Alimi

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:16:08 pm »
Since you're in green-black, you could make a pretty decent efficient-creatures-and-removal deck on the cheap. Putrid Leech, Dreg Mangler, Nekrataal, Reaper of the Wilds, Spiritmonger, Consume Strength, and Putrefy are all inexpensive and fairly strong.

You could also try for something rampier, using green mana acceleration to cast powerful expensive creatures quickly.

And of course green-black is good for graveyard shenanigans.

Regardless, you need a plan. At the moment your deck just looks like a bunch of cards; there's no way to know how to improve it until you decide which direction you wanna go in.

Those creatures are really great! I'll be sure to check them out. And i think that my vibe is to destroy all enemies in the battlefield so i can reach my opponent and kill him. What cards would be good for it? And which ones in my deck doesn't fit this goal?

Alimi

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »
   Looking at your deck I have found a way that your deck can be salvaged and turned into something lethal. Here's what you should do (*note, all of this is a matter of opinion, you do not HAVE to do as I suggest if your opinion changes later):

Creatures- Keep Gurmag swiftwing, stonefare crocodile, hooded assassin, sedge scorpion, sluiceway scorpion, ambush viper, nemesis of mortals, deadly recluse, child of night, defiant bloodlord, vampire outcasts. Remove everything else. This equals 13 creatures (which you can add to later).

Spells- Keep Joyous respite, macabre waltz, deadly allure, tragic slip, titanic growth, doom blade, cruel feeding, mark of the vampire, and awaken the bear. This equals 12 spells.

Lands- Run 4 of jungle hollow and add some more green to the deck (cause you're going to need it for what I suggest).

*This leaves your deck at 50 cards. Additions that should be considered: rabid bite, prey upon, time to feed, pathway arrows, spidery grasp, grim contest, grim discovery, skeletal grimace, burst of strength and aim high. This will put your deck at about 60 cards. I would ask that you get multiples of the cards that you like. This way you can build some consistency into your deck. Also as you can see a lot of the spells i Recommended involve fighting or your creatures indirectly dealing damage. That's because with the death touch no matter how little that damage is you can wipe out entire swarms of creatures if played right.

Also keep in mind that there is no perfect deck builder and that we all started from somewhere. Even I wasn't as good as I was when I first started playing. Thankfully my years playing other card games helped but it took practice and constructive criticism along the way to help me out. Just like we're doing for you, we're giving you advice from our experience. But the important thing is for you to learn what you want from your own decks. This way you can learn your own play styles and run your deck like its the back of your hand.

I really like your idea, and fits well with my focus on the "destroy creatures - kill enemy" strategy. I'm thinking on adding some cards like Evil Eye of Urborg (because i still need some damage) and Golgari Charm (because of the versatility)

But yeah, if there's anything on my deck (and i'm sure that there's a lot) that doesn't suit that idea, i'll be glad to hear.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:30 pm »
   Basically anything that I didn't name specifically in my last post to you I would recommend putting them all in the sideboard or maybe board under your interactive deck builder tab. If you go on the gatherer (under the main magic the gathering website) you'll find the card archive. Look up the Return to Ravnica and Theros blocks and look for only the Black and/or Green cards (you can do this by simply EXCLUDING all other colors). This will give you a larger variety of cards to use and will give you some idea as to what you might be hopeful in adding. The Golgari Swarm guild is pretty good, its's actually one of my favorite guilds. 

Alimi

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »
I changed ALOT of things in my deck, based on my objective: http://deckstats.net/decks/65883/496718-test

Added some of the cards Philippe Saner and you suggested, and i plan on going to the store tonight to buy the cards. How is it going?

Alimi

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:19 am »
Hmm, i know it's kind of hard for a beginner, but if it's not asking too much, is there a way to turn my deck into a 3-color? I'm still thinking if i would prefer blue or white, but i want it to be like:

-Black: Spells
-Green: Creatures, specially strong ones.
-White or Blue: ???

I don't know which one would play well with what i'm thinking, but yeah, any oppinions?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:46 am »
   Your deck looks a LOT better than it was before. And yes I will help you run a three color deck. For your deck's goal though I'm going to recommend adding RED as your third color. This is why: JUND (R/B/G) is a color combo that focuses on strong creatures, hunting instincts and a little death along the way. With your death touch creatures if you add red spells that give your creatures FIRST STRIKE, that's like saying, I have a wall of creatures that will ALWAYS hit you first. Adding cards such as madcap skills to your outland colossus. Think about that for a moment......you've just created a (6/6) creature that turns into a (9/6) that after dealing damage turns into a (15/12) creature!!! The best part about it is this.......It is UNBLOCKABLE (because both the enchantment and the creature's effects create a loophole). A creature that can only be blocked by 1 creature and an enchantment that says it HAS to be blocked by 2 or more creatures creates a gap for you to abuse beautifully. Also it'll let you add more cards such as sure strike which would be great to have in combat.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:18:37 am »
I wouldn't recommend adding a third colour. Good mana fixing tends to be expensive, and you seem to be on a tight budget.

Anyway, deck looks much improved. If you're looking for an example of a green-black kill-creatures-then-enemy deck, here's my Vraska-themed deck. Apart from Night's Whisper and Vraska herself, everything there is cheap.

If you're looking for specific removal suggestions, I recommend Nekrataal and Putrefy.

Alimi

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:15:22 pm »
http://deckstats.net/decks/65883/496718-test

So, i changed a few things based on the opinions of both of you. My deck won't be 3-colored, because of the mana problems that i have even with TWO colors, but i liked the idea of buffing Outland Colossus , but instead of Madcap Skills , i added Untamed Hunger (which i think will serve well)

And i've added two Putrid Leech and one Putrefy , this way i think my deck will become really strong! Thanks for the tips.

And Vraska looks like a cool (and for what i've researched, the cheapier) planeswalker to have, i'll keep an eye on her :)

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »
    As long as the deck works the way you want it to I'm fine with whatever choice you make. If you ever do decide to build a three color deck then just send me a post and I'll be glad to assist.

sandrew26

• Decks
Re: Golgari Budget Fun - Comments
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 01:15:15 am »
To you, what does "a little more money" look like? Right now, the deck is 15$.

I think my biggest suggestion for you is also a question. What is your goal with this deck? Right now, it seems like general aggro with maybe some graveyard interaction? Find a card or mechanic that really excites you in this deck, and focus the deck around it. That will make it easier to pick out other cards to put in the deck while also increasing its power.

From your post it sounds like you've been playing for a while, so I have two more suggestions. One, try to move toward having 4x copies of each card you're including. It's okay to have fewer, but there should be a reason to have fewer other than "versatility". Without tutors, versatility is really just more randomness. Two, think about how fast you want this deck to play and adjust the mana curve accordingly. Right now you've got creatures at 3 - 8 - 3 - 1 - 4 - 2; If you're curving out at 6 CMC, then maybe something like 6 - 6 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 4 will help you to more consistently have plays throughout the game.