deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Legendary creature question  (Read 959 times)

angorashi

• Decks
Legendary creature question
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:23 am »
Hey there! So, I have a question about the legendary creature rule. When do you have to send a creature to the graveyard, if two are in play? This is about kolaghan, the storm's fury .

IE, say I have one kolaghan out at the start of my turn. Can I play a second kolaghan for its dash cost, attack with both, and then sac the second? I guess I'm asking whether they just sac at end step.

If not, when I cast a second kolaghan, will it still trigger dragon tempest?

Thanks!

Rikker5698

• Decks
Re: Legendary creature question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:19:48 am »
As far as I know with the Legendary Rule, as soon as the second Kolaghan enters the battlefield, the legend rule and the dragon tempest triggers will go on the stack and you can choose which resolves first, so you can have your tempest trigger resolve first so you'll get the damage from both Kolaghans but after that trigger the legend rule trigger resolve, which means you'll have to sacrifice one and it won't get to attack.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:22:42 am by Rikker5698 »

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »
As far as I know with the Legendary Rule, as soon as the second Kolaghan enters the battlefield, the legend rule and the dragon tempest triggers will go on the stack and you can choose which resolves first, so you can have your tempest trigger resolve first so you'll get the damage from both Kolaghans but after that trigger the legend rule trigger resolve, which means you'll have to sacrifice one and it won't get to attack.

This is my understanding as well. Second legend/planeswalker enters the battlefield. Enters battlefield effects go on stack and getting rid of the other "one of" goes on the stack. As the player with priority you get to pick the order those things go on the stack if for some reason you don't want the enters the battlefield effects although that is the most likely reason you're playing the second legend in the first place. This would all resolve before you pass on the before combat main phase.

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:16:10 pm »
Thanks for the responses! Answers my question perfectly :)

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:25 pm »
Hey there! So, I have a question about the legendary creature rule. When do you have to send a creature to the graveyard, if two are in play? This is about kolaghan, the storm's fury .

IE, say I have one kolaghan out at the start of my turn. Can I play a second kolaghan for its dash cost, attack with both, and then sac the second? I guess I'm asking whether they just sac at end step.

If not, when I cast a second kolaghan, will it still trigger dragon tempest?

Thanks!

you can cast the second kolaghan for the dash cost and trigger dragon tempest because dragon tempest triggers on enter the battlefield. the legendary rule doesn't kick in until the second kolagan is in play and then triggers before the attack.

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:19:07 am »
I have another question, about Dragon Tempest actually- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, right. So Dragon Tempest, it's text states that the dragon deals the damage, not the enchantment, and as far as I can tell, infect isn't limited to combat damage- so will the damage ol Skrillex deals upon entry via dragon tempest deal -1/1 counters/poison damage?

Thanks again guys :)

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 01:41:23 pm »
Skthiryx would deal poison/-1-1 damage because the text in infect states, "Whenever this creature deals damage," not combat damage. Poison counters could be taken advantage of. Tainted strike could give any dragon infect with Dragon Tempest's trigger on the stack.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »
Jace27 ninja'ed me. Yes, Skthiryx would deal poison counters off a Dragon Tempest trigger. If you click through on the card to the Gatherer database you can see some of the rulings appropriate to the card.

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:49:44 pm »
Dang, Tainted Strike is a crazy idea in relation to my question! Thanks both of you :)