deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: need help with this deck before game day  (Read 682 times)

Bobtheblade

• Decks
need help with this deck before game day
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:27:07 am »
http://deckstats.net/decks/38660/542479-prowess-ur-

I know it will be all about BANT  and emerge on game day, i would like enough control/card draw/prowess balance.
any help would be appreciated.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
Re: need help with this deck before game day
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:38:00 am »
I need to shave 9 cards and get a decent sideboard for the spirits, spell quellers, emrakul's and CoCo's

c.hinkelmann

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:51:04 am »
Interesting set-up, but yes, it does need some focus. I would recommend dropping a Shivan Reef for an additional Rogue's Passage because you can get more grind out of the passage. Also look at running 24 lands, just so you don't get bogged out of the right lands. Draw may be good, but I would focus more on burn and control. Trying to get too much of draw, burn, or control will clog things up. I focus more on being able to deal damage than to have an answer for everything. You may want to also look at some more one drop creatures that you can pump up. I would also recommend going to the Gatherer website: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx and put in all of the colors that you want to run and just go down the entire list. Write down the cards and what they do to develop the best synergy among them and what you have or can get. Another aspect is if you have an idea of what people typically play at the Gameday location, try to build something different that people won't expect.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:00:37 am »
Here's a somewhat similar Pro Tour deck that might provide some inspiration.

If I had to cut this down to 60, I'd probably do it like this:

-1 Clash of Wills
-2 Dispel
-3 Rush of Adrenaline
-1 Learn from the Past (to sideboard)
-2 Elusive Spellfist

The counterspells don't seem to suit your Prowess plan, since you can't use them to pump your attackers. Learn from the Past is dead or almost dead in a fair number of matchups. Rush of Adrenaline is just kinda weak. And Elusive Spellfist seems like the least useful of your creatures.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »
those cards are more like a sideboard option but i added them specifically to be able to beat back the emerge, delirium decks and the Bant decks. it does slow the deck but since they use mailly instants and use the graveyard i figured learn from the past around turn 4 would be great.
I dont thing it is fast enough to kill them before they get the deck going which is aroung turn 4-5.
the elusive spellfist is unblockable whick is a plus.
I dont expect any other UR decks on game day so it will be interesting.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:52:59 pm by Bobtheblade »

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:19:16 am »
no nore advice?

c.hinkelmann

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 05:09:09 am »
Day's Undoing or Harness The Storm could be another option too, especially if you have the upper hand, since you want to play from your graveyard.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 09:47:56 am »
  There are a few spots I'd like to offer some advice:

1) If you're going to play bedlam reveler then add more instant and sorcery cards that have MADNESS. maybe some just the wind, some fiery temper, maybe even the geistblast (so you could drop those into the grave for later use).

2) Abbot of keral keep exiles the card off of your deck. I'm not saying whether you should/shouldn't play this card but besides the prowess does it actually have a reason to be played in the deck? You could always add sanguinary mage and have some good vamp support.

3) Take inventory- If you switch these cards out for some of the madness spells from SOI, such as the ones that I previously mentioned, then you'd have more hand plays and interaction with the opposing player.

4) Galvanic bombardment- similar reason behind Take inventory, it's not a bad card but if you want to get the most out of your cards and your plays you may want to play something that has more control or impact on the board state. For example, instead of galvanic blast you could add weaver of lightning and get more out of your spells. Also if you add harness the storm you could get probably double the use out of your spells when using multiples.

5) How do you really want to play this deck? Are you playing it just to beat Bant decks or are you playing it so that you could try out an original idea? The deck itself can be done but depending on your motivation for the build can also steer you in various directions.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
did a few modifications, added fevered visions, added some offense removed some defense but the point of the deck was to use the burn spells to trigger the prowess without running out of gas mid game where the standard decks seem to go off these days. that is the reason for the card draw necessity (slip through space and tke inventory)
I feel i need to have some answers for the delirium decks so I can slow them down and get prowess triggers out of it.

Ferics

• Decks
Re: Prowess UR - Comments
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »
I would play 4 Curious Homunculus and remove the Elusive Spellfist. Having a 3/4 prowess will be better than spellfist both on attacking and blocking purpose. Thougness of Voracious Reader can be improved by prowess.
Plus, you're already running 4 Slip through space.

Sure Galvanic Bombardment is a good card, but not better than Incendiary Flow of Fiery Temper. Those latter can target players and Planeswalker as well !
I would remove them to put 1 more instance of Incendiary Flow and Fiery Temper. With maybe one more Bedlam Reveler to trigger the madness (+Geier Reach Sanitarium that can filter lands in the late game ?)
If you still want to have something like two creature burns for one mana, fiery impulse will be better than galvanic bombardment.

Add Weaver of Lightning, either in main deck, or sideboard. Great card again Bant Spirit.

Ferics

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
And I'm not a pro of Fevered Visions decks but if you to play it, you might want to play more cards like unsubstantiate.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
I am still on the fence on fevered visions as i am not sure i want to give my opponent card draw..

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 07:52:04 am »
As long as you can keep them from using the cards they draw by either canceling or putting them on top of the deck or on the bottom then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. That's why that card is more for a control build because even if you're giving them cards you're not allowing them to use those cards. IT just depends on the deck build, but I'd recommend side boarding it for now.

Bobtheblade

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »
What about sphinx's tuteledge

kiochy

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 06:00:12 pm »
I would change take inventory for tormenting voice. works well with fiery temper. but that's because I don't like take inventory.

for sideboard tech, nahiri's wrath ? if you expect a lot of Coco, you can play up to 3 dispel. 2 main one SB ?