deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 17930 times)

Jabilac

• Decks
Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:48:52 pm »
Spoilers are already starting to make their way onto the net for Kaladesh.  I've included the 2 that are available now and I will try to keep up with any releases over the next few weeks.  Here are our first 2.

The Inventors' Fair, so far, has me worried.  I would hate to see Affinity get any stronger.  As it is right now it is considered to be one of the "Unfair" decks anyway and while I am excited to see some new cards I am really worried about the impact on Modern and Affinity.  I would like to see 1-3 of the main Affinity cards banned personally.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
Thanks for posting these Jabilac!

As far as standard goes, I'm excited to see artifact strategies emerge (no pun intended) to shake things up a bit, but for Modern it's definitely concerning. As Dredge showed us this last block, just 1 or 2 new cards can take a fringe playable deck and make it a menace! And affinity isn't exactly fringe as is. If it gets a couple new cards, it could be really poised to completely dominate the format. \

What worries me most is Wizards will probably also print a bunch of artifact hate this set and may use that as an excuse not to ban anything from Affinity (and just force everyone else to run more artifact hate).

The other card is interesting and just shows the flavor of the set, but it will probably be a lot like Identity Thief, just an interesting promo that highlights the theme of the set without seeing any real play outside limited.

Definitely looking forward to future spoilers!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:10:25 pm »
I feel the same way about Saheeli's Artistry <---(I love this! Already tagged and working!).  Copy effects have to be cheaper to be useful.  Even using both effects it is still too dependent on the board state to be reliable.  Your either copying your stuff (Win-More) or copying their stuff (why not just destroy/exile it) and your creating tokens which is worse that an actual copy card like Clone.

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:26 pm »
Some PAX cards have been shown. Here is a very nice one.

In case it didn't upload:

Saheeli Rai  1 Colorless, 1 Blue, 1 Red

Starting Loyalty 3

+1 Scry 1, Saheeli Rai deals 1 damage to each opponent.
-2 Create a token that's a copy of target artifact or creature you control, expect it's an artifact in addition to its other types. That token gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
-7 Search your library for up to three artifact cards with different names, put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Symmetrical effects are fair.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:15:53 pm »
Interesting plainswalker! Izzet hasn't had one in a long time, and I'm not sure about this yet...

The -2 seems insane, especially since you can copy an artifact OR creature. creatures with ETB triggers will be crazy. Imagine -2 on a snapcaster mage, Vendillion Clique or Restoratioon Angel... Seems like exactly the kind of thing Jeskai will want. +1 isn't bad since you get to scry, but definitely not a big impact effect.

She's going to be huge in commander though, copying Sol Ring or other mana rocks to accelerate out something seems good. Plus scrying and hitting everyone definitely is bigger impact in a format like that. 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:04 am »
So far nothing that jumps out and makes me go wow!! I really want play this card. Granted it's still early.
The land gives colorless and life, isn't great but not bad. As previously said a 4 drop metalcraft tutor.
Blue sorcery speed that copies one or both. Maybe copy this spell with mirror pool? Who knows :)
The planeswalker, ok scrying is never a bad thing. Copying something may work well with that sorcery.
And pretty nice if you can protect her long enough to drop her final. Three artifact cards with different names, put them onto the battlefield
could be brutal. Edh play could have a field day with this and this one always comes to mind. Blightsteel Colossus
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:50:13 am by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 05:09:09 am »
I haven't had the chance to look into it yet, but did they mention how pilot was going to work? Are the vehicle artifacts unable to attack unless piloted?
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 05:13:54 pm »
We have a boat load of new spoilers today.  I am gonna post them first then talk about the new Mechanics.

Wow that was a lot to process.  So we have Fabricate, Crew, and Energy Counters as our new Mechanics so far.

Fabricate - Will be seen as Fabricate X and is something we have seen before just not named I.E. Sandsteppe Outcast.  Makes X 1/1 Flyers or adds X +1/+1 counters.  Fits in with the "Crew" Mechanic

Crew - This is a new Mechanic and is kind of interesting.  It only seems to be found on Artifact Vehicles and it has a number like Crew X.  What that means is you need to tap creatures with total power of X to turn the Artifact Vehicle into an Artifact Creature Vehicle for the turn.  Its like you are putting your creatures inside the artifact and they are the crew of it for the turn.  I like the flavor of this mechanic a lot.

Energy Counters - This one was kind of confusing for me because at first I couldn't figure out what the energy counters were... Were they a token like Clues or something else.  I have interpreted this as the Player gets an Energy Counter (similar to a Loyalty counter or an Infect Counter) and you can spend these counters to create effects.  I would assume these counters can also be affected by effects like Proliferate.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:10:33 pm »
I'm getting some interesting ideas from Aetherstorm Roc and Architect of the Untamed in the standard format there is great synergy between them and Aetherworks Marvel. (Imagine bouncing Aetherstorm Roc with something like Essence Flux or Eldrazi Displacer ). The ramp cards from Origins and DoT will be going out soon, (Explosive Vegetation, Nissa's Pilgrimage) but there are still some good cards like Loam Dryad, Evolving Wilds, Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Oblivion Sower to benifit from Architect of the Untamed, and it isn't even legendary!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:20:04 pm by Mnemosyne »

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 01:39:26 am »
So since we are obviously going to see tons and tons of artifacts in Kaladesh how much artifact hate will there be? I know modern does but in standard I don't think there is a whole lot. Of course we will see some but will it be enough? Either way I am super excited for this set it looks like its gonna be a lot of fun.
I can't even read

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 05:08:14 am »
I'm getting some interesting ideas from Aetherstorm Roc and Architect of the Untamed in the standard format there is great synergy between them and Aetherworks Marvel. (Imagine bouncing Aetherstorm Roc with something like Essence Flux or Eldrazi Displacer ). The ramp cards from Origins and DoT will be going out soon, (Explosive Vegetation, Nissa's Pilgrimage) but there are still some good cards like Loam Dryad, Evolving Wilds, Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Oblivion Sower to benifit from Architect of the Untamed, and it isn't even legendary!

I have already started looking for Synergies myself.  I already run a Modern Flicker based deck and I am interested in Gonti, Lord of Luxury and Aetherworks Marvel.  You are right with the synergies that you pointed out in Standard.  We are going to see some clue based synergies as well.  Its an exciting block that I hope gets better.  I like that they have pushed what we expect to appear in Magic.

So since we are obviously going to see tons and tons of artifacts in Kaladesh how much artifact hate will there be? I know modern does but in standard I don't think there is a whole lot. Of course we will see some but will it be enough? Either way I am super excited for this set it looks like its gonna be a lot of fun.  The crew Mechanic is just dripping with Flavor. 

Ya know I wish I could say that we are guaranteed to see some effective artifact removal but to be honest there is no guarantee things will get better.  The only reasonable artifact removal that will stay available in Standard after the rotation is Natural State.  Lets hope we get something to destroy all this stuff :)

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 05:25:41 am »
New Spoilers :

We also have a large collection of Asian spoilers dropped but most of them were just Dual lands like the 2 posted above a Red/Blue, a Green/Blue, and a Black/Green.

Filigree Familiar  3   Artifact - Fox  When it enters the Battlefield Gain 2 life.  When it dies Draw a Card.

Demon of Shady Schemes  3BBB  Creature - Demon   When it enters all other creatures get -2/-2 until EOT.  Whenever another creature dies gain E (Energy Counter)  2B, pay EEEE: Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield tapped under your control.

Territorial Devourer  3R   Creature - Gremlin   Trample   When you gain one or more E (energy counters) This card gets +2/+2 until EOT.

That's it for tonight.  More to come tomorrow hopefully.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 06:19:35 am »

I have already started looking for Synergies myself.  I already run a Modern Flicker based deck and I am interested in Gonti, Lord of Luxury and Aetherworks Marvel.  You are right with the synergies that you pointed out in Standard.  We are going to see some clue based synergies as well.  Its an exciting block that I hope gets better.  I like that they have pushed what we expect to appear in Magic.

Holy hell Jabilac! This card is fricking amazing! , I saw it just now on MTG Salvation... You realise the potential?!  :o And you were talking about synergy between Aetherworks Marvel! Aetherstorm Roc and Panharmonicon is tasty!

Can you imagine the ally triggers with Kalastria Healer?! Crazzzyyyyy....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:25:43 am by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 04:37:17 pm »
Holy hell Jabilac! This card is fricking amazing! , I saw it just now on MTG Salvation... You realise the potential?!  :o And you were talking about synergy between Aetherworks Marvel! Aetherstorm Roc and Panharmonicon is tasty!

Can you imagine the ally triggers with Kalastria Healer?! Crazzzyyyyy....

This card is nuts!  Wow I am excited about this.  Wall of Omens draw 2 cards, Lone Missionary gains 8 life, Blade Splicer makes 2 3/3 Golems, Tidehollow sculler exiles 2 cards, Mulldrifter draws 4 cards, Thought-Knot Seer exiles 2 cards... and the list goes on and on. Gonna be an awesome addition to quite a few decks...

I will have to face this with Ally triggers :(  I've got a friend that runs BW ally drain and I hate it soo much.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:14:25 am »
New round of Spoilers today:

Nothing crazy here.  A cheap hard counter to colorless spells but nothing else.