deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 18015 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 01:59:54 am »
Panharmonican with Zealous Conscripts...or Hamletback Goliath....or.....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:03:38 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »
Some new spoilers today :

Thats it for the english Spoilers (at least translated images)  Here are the non-English with some translation:

Ghirapur Guide   2G   Creature-Elf   2G:Target creature you control can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less this turn.

Cataclysmic Gearhulk   3WW   Artifact Creature-Construct   Vigilance   When This Card enters the Battlefield, Each player chooses among non-land permanents they control an artifact, a creature, an enchantment, and a planeswalker and sacrifices the rest,

Tricket Mastercrafter   2W   Creature-Dwarf Artificer   Servo and Thopter creatures you control get +1/+1.   3W: Create a 1/1 colorless servo artifact creature token.

Looks like Pia Nalaar is still alive.  Cataclysmic Gearhulk is pretty cool, Tragic Arrogance on a big ole Vigilance Beater.  What's not to like about that :)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »
Pia Nalaar is alive? It will be interesting to see what the story behind that is, and will she meet up with her daughter! Looks like Liliana is stirring up shit, haha. Apparently, Aether Revolt might be linked to Nico Bolas because of the set after is called Amonkhet (where he's from) 

Oh! And my understanding is that Panharmonicon works on triggers that are on permanents already under your control. For example, if Kalastria Healer is on the field, already with Panharmonicon, and another ally comes in with a trigger ability (Hero of Goma Fada) only Kalastria Healer's ability will trigger twice, and not the card entering the battlefield. That is my interpretation of how it works, though I could be wrong!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 10:39:57 pm »
It'll be interesting to see the ruling when they release them, either way Hamletback Goliath just came that much deadlier...
This space for rent.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 04:52:27 am »
Um...guys? I just saw this.... and thought $$$$$$$$$$$$ (The new Standard version of Jace, The Mind Sculptor?) Probably with a price to match!

This card would be cool in another format, it's abilities are frankly, ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:04:22 am by Mnemosyne »

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 05:07:24 am »
I don't think she's quite as good as mindsculpter but maybe a standard liliana of the veil
I can't even read

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 05:22:45 am »
I don't think she's quite as good as mindsculpter but maybe a standard liliana of the veil

Hmm, maybe. Although, if you look at the cost-benefit of Chandra she is a (4M/4L) that has a choice of doing either 2 abilities as she comes into play. The first functions like Outpost Siege or Abbot of Keral Keep, except that this can be done whenever during your turn, and if you don't play that card, you get to deal 2 points of damage regardless. The second ability (+1) Mana Ramp paying for 50% of her cost when she enters, allowing you to cast something like Fiery Impulse or Lightning bolt twice? There is no disadvantage either, Liliana's +1 ability, causes (you) as well as your opponent to discard a card. Admittedly her (-3) is weak in comparison, her (-7) ability makes up for it. Which is only (+3) more to ultimate, or (+2) with Oath of Gideon. It is a win condition, (5 damage per spell to a creature or player) if you combined this in a tempo red/blue deck that draws and casts two cards systematically, then there is no problem dealing 10 damage per turn at the very least!

But you are correct, both are still VERY good! And are going to cost a LOT.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:30:34 am by Mnemosyne »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 01:39:34 pm »
That Chandra is NASTY!
This space for rent.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:57 pm »
Wow! Looks like things were crazy yesterday While I was busy :)  Got a new Chandra and she is a little pushed isn't she.  4cmc for a 4Loyalty planeswalker is about what you would expect its just all the options she has that is pushing her to the next level.  The turn you bring her in you can  exile a card and cast it (Card Advantage) and even if its a land or something you can't afford to cast you still get a Firebolt like effect out of it, or ramp yourself RR, or remove an annoying x/4.  Archangel Avacyn, Thing in the Ice, Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Thought-Knot Seer just to name a few creature's 4 damage can kill in Standard right now not to mention all of the smaller things.  Then her -7 (possible turn 6) is a game ender.  Each spells has deal 5 damage to target creature or player stapled to it.  I want this card so bad  ;D

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 03:30:34 pm »
New Spoilers from yesterday minus the 2 already posted here:

Nothing of note really.  The 2 best cards from yesterday were already posted.  I am going to have to agree with you Mnemosyne Metallurgic Summonings is also kinda ridiculous.  Chandra got a lot of the attention but that Enchantment does double duty.  Turns Instant/Sorcery spells into creatures and when your outta gas pop that enchantment and bring every Instant and Sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand...  nuts

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 03:41:49 pm »
That harness lightning is already nasty. Any energy counters already on the field will give this card an extra bonus
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »
That harness lightning is already nasty. Any energy counters already on the field will give this card an extra bonus

Especially with all the cards we have seen that give you Energy Counters.  This could end up being a catch-all style card to remove that big beater.  Too bad we didn't get a Kicker or Escalate effect for more targets.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 05:13:50 pm »
new Spoilers just released:

So 2 Chandra's in 1 block... Weird.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I would use this new one over the one Spoiled yesterday... I guess the board wipe might be better against certain decks but then its so late it might not matter much.  Too bad it doesn't exile things that die then maybe I would like it more.

Nissa reminds me of the old Garruk Wildspeaker because of the Ultimate.  The rest of her abilities are a little weak... Gain 3 life kinda Meh, Reveal top 2 cards and put lands on battlefield and the rest in your hand... Kinda Meh again but at least its draw and ramp all in one ability.

Lathnu Hellion might be useful as a surprise turn 3 hit and if you have enough energy stores then it will stick around and be all big and scary for a while.

Animation Module is a low grade Proliferate on a stick.  Lets you tick up planeswalkers quickly... 1 extra loyalty a turn.

Edit:  new Spoilers while I made this post :)

All three of the Module's work together and can create a loop as long as you have mana.... Fabrication Module triggers when you gain E to put a +1/+1 counter on a creature which allows you to pay 1 Colorless and create a 1/1 servo creature which triggers Decoction Module giving you another E which triggers Fabrication Module giving you another +1/+1 counter which starts the loop again.

2nd Edit:  Another Spoiler while I was updating this post :)

Now this Nissa looks promising.  Make a 5/5 Elemental after you have already used a land for the turn, Return target permanent from your graveyard to your hand (almost Eternal Witness), and last but certainly the best ability an Emblem that allows you to draw a card after each land enters the battlefield under your control.  Yes please :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:29:07 pm by Jabilac »

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »
Was away for the log weekend and damn! All the good stuff comes down. Kaladesh looks like it's gong to be a very fun set so far with cards playable in nearly every format. Also, I just looked on Mythic Spoiler, and it looks like there's a second Nissa as well (sorry for no link). EDIT: The one Jabilac added above is the one I was referring to, just two Nissa's. I wonder if they're doing some sort of time related thing, where One Chandra and Nissa are along one timeline, and the other pair are from another? Or maybe there are 2 storylines,a nd the different Chandra / Nissa pairs represent them in each storyline?... Anyways, the cards that catch my eye most are:

Chandra, Torch of Defiance: My main Modern deck right now is a plainswalker heavy Mardu control deck, and Chandra feels great! She does have some downsides, and odds are 9 times out of 10, when she enters the battlefield you'll either get the mana or kill a creature. I love that she hits for 4, meaning a lot of the creatures that pass the Lightning Bolt test will fail the Chandra test. If she survives a turn, her +1 exile top card ability is exactly what Red wants, a way to get more gas. She's too slow for Modern burn, but I could see Jeskai or even Jund picking her up, and I'll definitely be trying to play her in my Mardu deck.

Aerial Responder: This dude is a limited bomb! he's like Vampire Nighthawk who use to win games by himself, and at uncommon, you might actually get a couple in a draft or sealed pool.

Enemy Fast Lands: Thank goodness! I was wondering when we'd finally get the other half of one of the best land sets in Modern. These things are going to be crazy valuable, and it goes without saying they'll be dominating standard and Modern, so prices will be quite high for quite a while.

Verdurous Gearhulk: 5 for an 8/8 trample!?!?! This thing is insane, and it's really looking like a Green / Red energy / counters deck is emerging.

Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: This isn't even fair... EACH turn, play a spell and Cascade (or if it's too expensive, just draw a card). The card advantage this thing produces is insane, and in Simic colors it's not like ti will be hard to play stuff at instant speed and get the effect on your opponents turn. With CoCo gone from standard, this may be the new way Bant decks keep their ridiculous card advantage going. Scrying makes her even more insane, so maybe Temur so they can run the new U/R plainswalker and scry every turn.

Filigree Familiar: I actually really like this card. It's a strictly better Exultant Cultist that gains life and fits in any deck. This could be a decent sideboard card if burn-type decks take off (which it looks like they might with all the awesome red cards floating around).

Can't wait to see the rest of the set!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:45:29 pm by KouriNick »
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »
How is having 3 different nissas and Chandra's gonna work? Also the Nissa cards are a little lackluster for me
I can't even read