deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Design an MTG Card! (With an original mechanic, and if possible artwork!)  (Read 2166 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
So, guys, I have been thinking, and as I haven't seen this as yet on the forum. I thought about having a little demonstration of your creativity. Using http://mtgcardsmith.com and selecting the M15 CARD format, design an MTG card.

Rules:

• Must include an original mechanic like, (Fear, Shadow, Intimidate, Exalted, Menace, Etc.)
  • Must include original artwork, if not then find something unique and cite the artist when relevant.
  • Must not be ridiculously overpowered, in other words, a legal, MTG playable card that won't get you stabbed by your opponent.
  • Must include flavour text, if possible.
  • Finally, do not copy anyone else.
Get going!  ;D

This is mine, will post more, when you guys decide on something.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:23:47 am by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
*rolls eyes* Fine, I'll give you more examples then! These are mine, inspired by the set Amonkhet that will appear after the Kaladesh block! Enjoy!

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Here's my mechanic "Concentrate". It's an ability for equipment (or creature I suppose) that gathers energy for each turn it isn't used, in the form of Concentration counters. These counters can then be used for extremely powerful abilities, usually with dangerous downsides. The Tome, for instance, draws cards at the cost of life, and the longer you concentrate, the more it will do per use. It's important to note that there's no way to take counters off the tome, so if you put too many counters on it, it can kill you (hence the curse).

The staff builds into a powerful board wipe and damage spell, but again, with no way to remove counters from it, it becomes dangerous if the number of counters gets too big.

Finally, the ring is suppose to be the source of the curse and exemplifies it in it's most concentrated form. A single turn of concentrate gives 5 counters, which can be used at instant speed to kill a creature (and potential the wielder). However, saving up those counters until there are 20 can be an instant game winner, but if you fail to finish them off in that one shot, the ring will ill you in it's place.

As written, the ring is more exploitable than intended, largely due to not being able to make the font small enough to fill in the loopholes.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Edani

• Decks
I'll try my hand at this! So here's two mechanics I've considered before, Pathlighting and Subsume. Pathlighting allows scrying through lands you control, inspired by water divining and the such in our "real" world, heh. Subsume is a mechanic that I thought would always go well with anything Phyrexian.

Art is from wen-m on deviantart. I've long admired his artwork. You can find him here: http://wen-m.deviantart.com/

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Here's my mechanic "Concentrate". It's an ability for equipment (or creature I suppose) that gathers energy for each turn it isn't used, in the form of Concentration counters. These counters can then be used for extremely powerful abilities, usually with dangerous downsides. The Tome, for instance, draws cards at the cost of life, and the longer you concentrate, the more it will do per use. It's important to note that there's no way to take counters off the tome, so if you put too many counters on it, it can kill you (hence the curse).

The staff builds into a powerful board wipe and damage spell, but again, with no way to remove counters from it, it becomes dangerous if the number of counters gets too big.

Finally, the ring is suppose to be the source of the curse and exemplifies it in it's most concentrated form. A single turn of concentrate gives 5 counters, which can be used at instant speed to kill a creature (and potential the wielder). However, saving up those counters until there are 20 can be an instant game winner, but if you fail to finish them off in that one shot, the ring will ill you in it's place.

As written, the ring is more exploitable than intended, largely due to not being able to make the font small enough to fill in the loopholes.

These are really flavorful, and I really like them because of that. (I also like that the ring is from the Swedish museum haha)
The cursed element is interesting, I can see how you could abuse them. But I guess that is why WotC like to add additional rulings to some of their cards.
So, cards like Ferropede and Power Conduit would have no effect on the concentrate mechanic?
Well done KouriNick!  :)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
I'll try my hand at this! So here's two mechanics I've considered before, Pathlighting and Subsume. Pathlighting allows scrying through lands you control, inspired by water divining and the such in our "real" world, heh. Subsume is a mechanic that I thought would always go well with anything Phyrexian.

Art is from wen-m on deviantart. I've long admired his artwork. You can find him here: http://wen-m.deviantart.com/

I like your Path Diviner, it has a very interesting mechanic, which would blend rather well in a Blue/Green deck, especially since it is a scry mechanic! I can't think of many mechanics that use scry, so very well done!.
The second is also interesting, it seems a powerful mechanic. I would say that its secondary cost that it destroys the creature, is a little... br0ken, especially for a common! haha, I could use that common on turn 6 pump it with mana and get rid of something big! Obviously, I would let it survive long enough for its ability to resolve. Trust me if I don't exploit it, I am sure someone will. :P

But it is great, like it ! Thanks for the time you guys have spent to make these cards! It is as fun for me looking at your work, as it must have been designing them!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:25:24 am by Mnemosyne »

Edani

• Decks

The second is also interesting, it seems a powerful mechanic. I would say that its secondary cost that it destroys the creature, is a little... br0ken, especially for a common! haha, I could use that common on turn 6 pump it with mana and get rid of something big! Obviously, I would let it survive long enough for its ability to resolve. Trust me if I don't exploit it, I am sure someone will. :P

But it is great, like it ! Thanks for the time you guys have spent to make these cards! It is as fun for me looking at your work, as it must have been designing them!

D'oh! I totally forgot to change the rarity on Assimilation Knight LOL That should be, at least, Uncommon, if not Rare. Here I go again, mixing MtG and work LOL!

The idea behind the destroy aspect is to add some serious urgency to the board. I guess that's something that I feel lacks in a lot of the games I play (I play mostly Modern, some Sealed Draft), so to have this "IMMA GONNA EET YOO IF YOO DONT KEEL ME!" monster out there gives me a nice tingly heebeejeebee feeling :)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks

D'oh! I totally forgot to change the rarity on Assimilation Knight LOL That should be, at least, Uncommon, if not Rare. Here I go again, mixing MtG and work LOL!

The idea behind the destroy aspect is to add some serious urgency to the board. I guess that's something that I feel lacks in a lot of the games I play (I play mostly Modern, some Sealed Draft), so to have this "IMMA GONNA EET YOO IF YOO DONT KEEL ME!" monster out there gives me a nice tingly heebeejeebee feeling :)

Haha no worries, I understand. It's a threat that cannot be ignored! I play Standard mainly, urgency is a necessary commodity.

Anyway guys, here is another I've made: Raegis, Arboreal Ancient! I made this with a mechanic called, decomposition. (Cause, you know trees?) You get to sacrifice any number of creatures to put counters on Raegis. Since this card also makes tokens w/ land it lends urgency to the game, remove it fast! Or, get whomped for a lot of damage!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:22:17 am by Mnemosyne »

Chronologist

• Decks
Dr. Kylie Moriarty. 

She is against the planeswalkers because she has come to learn that the planeswalkers, because of how powerful they are and continue to become, are doing critical damage to each world in the multiverse.  For a time, she thought she could use her own magic to protect Great Britain and, to a lesser degree, the rest of Planet Earth.  But her spells can't keep them out now, not the planeswalkers nor the damage they do simply by hopping planes.  What they do when they get there is worse.

Through careful research, she has discovered that every world in the multi-verse is slowly decomposing, being destroyed because of the planeswalkers.  She considers this to be like climate change on a full multi-verse scale.  So she has to stop the planeswalkers, not by killing them, but by turning them back into powerless mortal creatures.  It's the only way to save her beloved Great Britain, and with it, each and every other world.

I'm sorry if she's a bit overpowered.  I hadn't intended to make her so.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Dr. Kylie Moriarty. 

She is against the planeswalkers because she has come to learn that the planeswalkers, because of how powerful they are and continue to become, are doing critical damage to each world in the multiverse.  For a time, she thought she could use her own magic to protect Great Britain and, to a lesser degree, the rest of Planet Earth.  But her spells can't keep them out now, not the planeswalkers nor the damage they do simply by hopping planes.  What they do when they get there is worse.

Through careful research, she has discovered that every world in the multi-verse is slowly decomposing, being destroyed because of the planeswalkers.  She considers this to be like climate change on a full multi-verse scale.  So she has to stop the planeswalkers, not by killing them, but by turning them back into powerless mortal creatures.  It's the only way to save her beloved Great Britain, and with it, each and every other world.

I'm sorry if she's a bit overpowered.  I hadn't intended to make her so.

Someone likes Sherlock Holmes and that is not a bad thing.  :)
Well, it is an interesting ability. It is a bit like Imprisoned in the Moon but a universal effect, instead. It is a little OP because Moriarty can't be targeted directly or indirectly. The reflect mechanic means that only creature's she blocks or is blocked by can kill her. haha horrible. I don't think you will make many friends if she appeared in a deck! And that face is not something I would like to see in an ally. :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:18:10 pm by Mnemosyne »

Chronologist

• Decks
Re: Design an MTG Card! (With an original mechanic, and if possible artwork!)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:08:52 am »
Would it help if it said "Other creatures you control have Reflect" instead?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:49 am »
Yeah, that would balance it.  :)

Chronologist

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:29 am »
As I'd said, she works better as an anti-planeswalker.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 05:26:57 am »

An old school Pyrexian, and Wurm with flavour text. Hope you guys like it! Keep posting. This is all interesting.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:47:52 am by Mnemosyne »

Doranon

• I tend to stay away from meta decks.
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
Wait Territorial requires it to either have Flash or get Flashed in somehow...