deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] I Hate Modern Players  (Read 382 times)

sticky9blade

• Quality memes and quality dreams.
  • Decks
[Modern] I Hate Modern Players
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »
Deck: Pass, Untap, Scoop

Hey everyone!

So far, I've been really enjoying my take on R/W Prison, and so far, it's been performing quite well! However, I have a few issues that I'm looking to get help with:

• I know a deck can't win against everything, but Through the Breach seems like a damn-near unwinnable matchup. What can I do to tip the scales in my favor?
  • Return to Dust and Pyroclasm seem to underperform. I definitely want some enchantment hate in the sideboard (just in case), but Pyroclasm feels like beating a dead horse.
  • The lands seem wonky. I've gotten mana-screwed on multiple occasions, but flooding with this deck is an equal nightmare. In addition, I'd love to add more duals, but turn 1 Chalice of the Void on 1 or turn 2 Blood Moon with untapped lands and a Simian Spirit Guide are critical to the deck.

Thanks for any and all advice!

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] I Hate Modern Players
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »
Boros prison is a sweet deck, and I'm glad you're generally enjoying it!

if the problem you're having is against Through the Breach + Emrakful / Grisselbrand deck, then Hallowed Moonlight is a really good way to beat it. It stops Through the breach, collected Company, Prized Amalgam triggers, Chord of Calling and Aether Vial triggers. Because it hits so many different ways to cheat creatues in, you could probably get away with as many as 3/4 copies in the sideboard.

As for wanting to keep enchantment revoal, why not Disenchant instead? You can play it a lot sooner, and it acts more like an extra removal spell against affinity. Besides, Nahiri can get rid of enchantments if they're that backbreaking. 

As for the mana, Temple of Triumph is secretly the best land for this deck for exactly the reason you stated. On turn 1 it smooths out your draw to make sure you hit your next land drop (or not if you're flooding). Having lands that come into play tapped isn't ideal, but the idea is to play one on turn 1 when you don't have another play anyway, or later in the game when you can cast what you want without that land.

Hope you find this helpful! Good luck :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

sticky9blade

• Quality memes and quality dreams.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] I Hate Modern Players
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:41 am »
Hallowed Moonlight is exactly the card I've been wanting! Hadn't seen it in other (older) lists, thanks for the info!
Hadn't really needed to use the enchantment hate yet, so I totally missed the Nahiri relevance. Guess I can just give those sideboard slots to Moonlight.
Temple isn't something I had thought about, but it now seems really viable. I'll be sure to try it out.

Thanks for all the help!