deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Black/Green Graveyard Deck - Looking for help?!?!  (Read 365 times)

DaBigman

• Decks
[Casual] Black/Green Graveyard Deck - Looking for help?!?!
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:55:23 am »
Black/Green Graveyard Deck

Looking to leverage graveyard for the win, and I've started with a really basic mill/grave power strategy.  That said, I've got a bunch of card options on the maybeboard that I thought might make this a more versatile and less one dimensional deck. 

Let me know what changes you would make to get this to a place where it is competitive?  We play Casual, so pretty much anything goes. 

Thanks for your help!  This is my 2nd attempt to put together a deck and the last one really worked out great after taking some feedback from a helpful soul here. 

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Black/Green Graveyard Deck - Looking for help?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:04:21 am »
Playing a few sample hands, I found myself with creatures stuck in my hand repeatedly. The basic issue is that you need to get some creatures into the grave before you can play stuff like Splinterfright, and your deck's not great at that. All you have to get the milling started is Grisly Salvage. Making things worse, your deck is only one-third creatures.

I suggest adding sets of Satyr Wayfinder and Stinkweed Imp.

Bow of Nylea seems out of place. Not sure what it's doing for you.

jjoseph357

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:06:51 am »
Krakilin, he's amazing

DaBigman

• Decks
Re: Black/Green Graveyard Deck - Comments
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:53:42 am »

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
-3 Bow of Nylea
-2 Rancor
+3 Satyr Wayfinder
+3 Stinkweed Imp

Changed amounts:
-1 Lotleth Troll

Is this what you had in mind?

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:43:16 pm »
Looks like an improvement. I kinda liked Rancor and Lotleth Troll, though.

If you want to cut a creature, I suggest Boneyard Wurm. Being cheap isn't worth much when the card sucks early.

You could do more to make use of Life from the Loam. Lands that you sacrifice or cycle might be worth including.

DaBigman

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:31 pm »
So my thoughts here are that if we pull out Boneyard Wurm x3, that means I've got 3 slots to fill.
I've still got 3x Lotleth Troll in the deck

What about using something like Crop Rotation or Harrow?
I had Dawntreader Elk in this deck before but feel like I can do better than that.
Edge of Autumn, Font of Fertility is another option?
Growth Spasm creates a sacrificeable creature for a mana that I assume would go to the graveyard?
Harvest Wurm provides either an instant creature to graveyard or a land from graveyard to hand. 
Terramorphic expanse seems to be what you were originally asking for?

I'm not married to any of the cards in this deck, so if you see a better combination as a result of shuffling out something else, let me know. 

I'm also thinking that with the land return capabilities I might run less lands.  So maybe I run 21 lands total instead?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:05:41 am by DaBigman »

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:27:02 am »
I did have Terramorphic Expanse in mind. That and the cycling lands: Tranquil Thicket and Barren Moor.

I don't like the idea of cutting lands. Having less of them means less in your hand and less in your graveyard.

Crop Rotation doesn't seem suitable for a deck without crazy nonbasic lands.

Edge of Autumn and Harrow seem decent. You don't need heavy ramp or colour-fixing, though.

If you want a better version of Dawntreader Elk, maybe give Sakura-Tribe Elder a try.

Not keen on Font of Fertility. Three mana to search up a land is a bit much, and it being an enchantment does nothing for you.

The token from Growth Spasm vanishes into nothing as soon as it hits the graveyard, so it doesn't really synergize with your graveyard stuff.

Not a big fan of Harvest Wurm.

DaBigman

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:17 am »
So, you would suggest perhaps 2  Terramorphic Expanse, 2 Tranquil Thicket, 2 Barren Moor subbed in for 3 Forest and 3 Swamp?

I'm thinking that I also remove 1 Putrefy and run 2 Edge of Autumn and 2 Sakura-Tribe Elder

That sounds like the move you would make?  I wasn't sure if you would sub out that many lands for the cyclers.  We stay at 23 lands this way though.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:05:59 am »
Sure, sounds fine to me.

DaBigman

• Decks
Re: Black/Green Graveyard Deck - Comments
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:14:17 am »

Revision 8

Added/removed cards:
-3 Boneyard Wurm

Last set of changes, I guess we'll see how this performs
+2 Barren Moor
+2 Edge of Autumn