deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ  (Read 7565 times)

Nickadimoose

• Decks
Re: Hour of Devastation SPOILERZ
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
-1/-1 has been my favorite mechanic, so I'm excited to see all these new cards that support that style of play. I haven't had much time to experiment or build my -1/-1 deck since Amonkhet was released (how the 'eff is Hour of Devastation almost here? I've played like 3 times), but Scorpion God and some of the new black spells look amazing!

I think the card I'm most excited about for possibilities is the Mirage Mirror. 3 cost artifact with a 2 cost ability that allows it to copy a target creature, artifact, enchantment or land until the end of turn. The possibilities here are really cool, especially since it doesn't specify just things you control. I haven't given much thought to what I could possibly do outside of just copying a Nest of Scarabs enchantment or even a card with "X" ability, but it still makes me excited! Definitely one I'm hoping to pull/play with on prerelease.

Any other cards from the set you guys are just dying to try?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »
The Scarab God looks amazing! So does the Ramunap Excavator. Solemnity could be a kill-shot towards certain commanders in EDH. Nimble Obstructionist is pretty good as well.

The Scorpion God has me considering rebuilding my old infect/wither EDH deck.

Lots to be excited for in this set as an EDH player.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
Te god-phaoroah has returned and with his return he brings a gift.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:27 pm »
Te god-phaoroah has returned and with his return he brings a gift.

Eternalize marionette master, buff to 7/7. Sac 3 artifacts/artifact creatures. Lethal.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2017, 06:40:45 pm »
At that point you won't even NEED the scarab god....

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:47 pm »
I think the scarab god is better in that you can steal creatures from an opponent's grave.
@ Nickadimoose, I didn't notice mirage mirror earlier. It does have an interesting ability. I am thinking of using it in place of copy enchantment in my token sacrifice deck to make it a copy for say bitterblossom, I wonder how quickly you can use its ability. I am thinking at the beginning of the upkeep. Its ability to copy lands is kind of pointless since it costs two to copy but the creatures is useful. I am thinking of using the scorpion and scarab god, the ammit eternal, and steward of solidarity.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:35:15 pm by entropize »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2017, 07:33:00 am »
Well i don't think that it would work before the upkeep because you'd have to go through your upkeep just to get your mana, then you'd have to pay the cost. Now if you copied the locust god every turn then you could pop out 2x locusts at a time for every cycle and discard/draw that it allows you. There are various other cards that wold benefit from having duplicate copies of themselves on the board. marauding boneslasher, the afflict creatures such as wildfire eternal, or you can keep all the brick counters on sunset pyramid and use the mirage mirror to copy it. This way every turn it becomes the same artifact with 3 brick counters on it. You can tap the pyramid to scry, then use the mirror to draw. And every turn it'll turn back into that same pyramid with 3 counters as long as you don't change the original.

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:09 am »
I don't know if the ability of mirage mirror would work with the locust god since it is a legendary. I think you may be right, but do not know. I would assume that you could use an artifact ability to copy a card during the upkeep after the untap, thus having mirage mirror copy say bitterblossom and have two bitterblossom trigger, don't know if it would work since bitterblossom says beginning of the upkeep. I am also curious about using it at the start of the upkeep say with doubling season allowing you to get two tokens from a token generator during the upkeep. Also I doubt mirage mirror would work with the sunset pyramid since it would already be in play as mirage mirror and not get any counters, it would probably work if you scry with the mirror and draw with pyramid. Same would be true for any card that allows it to gain counters such as assemble the legion. I assume this card would get at most one counter before resetting. I am also curious about using its ability during an opponent's turn. It is kind of funny, this card isn't out yet and still causing debates.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:18:20 am by entropize »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »
 It's the kind of card that shakes up the meta. Anything that can copy almost anything will surely be used in someone's decks. As for the locust God I see your point since the legendary rule would kick in. But if you use the mirror to copy vizier of tumbling sands then you get a second creature that untaps other permanents for you. Use it to copy sandwurm convergence and you'll get two 5/5 worms at the end of your turn. Copy faith of the devoted and by turn 5 you can take up to 4 life from your opponent if you cycle a card. Honestly there are many options for this card. We'll just have to wait until pre-release to see what people come up with.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 04:10:24 am »
So... Who thinks we will see Crested Sunmare in Cat Tribal decks?  A free horse token every time you gain life..  And all gorses indestructible...

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2017, 05:41:39 am »
So... Who thinks we will see Crested Sunmare in Cat Tribal decks?  A free horse token every time you gain life..  And all gorses indestructible...

Not sure if I can find room for it, but I am building a cat tribal / token deck. It is tempting.

What about with Anointer Preist? That is (one of) the reason(s) Crested Sunmare's effect is at end step 'if you gained life this turn" instead of "whenever" you gain life. I love how careful wording of effects can change so much. Constant reminder to really read the text closely, which i forget to do all the time  :-[
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2017, 07:51:22 am »
The crested sunmare is tempting but the Majestic Myriarch is also pretty good. I am considering adding it to my token generator deck if I could find room. It reminds me of Odric, Lunarch Marshal and 2 crusaders of odric combined.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2017, 08:15:28 am »
  When I saw that Chimera I immediately thought of Odric. Add that to a Deck that has the Champion of Rhonas, Scaled behemoth and any creatures that have Vigilance and/or menace. That would be a nasty Green deck. Personally I can see that card being played in a Naya Menagerie Deck. Incorporate some embalm creatures and not only do you get the mass token production but you get all of their abilities as well. Or you can play an Abzan/Sultai/Jund deck where you use the Green for this creature and Black to add some "eternalize matters" to this deck. I sense good things happening with this creature.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »
Welp, just thought about cloning Crested Sunmare with multiple Mirage Mirrors to create multiple tokens during life-gain. That shouldn't be a super hard condition to accomplish. Goodbye horses.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 06:01:08 pm »
As long as you can keep them hexproofed on the field and keep that lifegain going then you should be fine. These mirrors are going to be an interesting addition to this set. And it's looking like Eternalize is most potent in Grixis, though it does exist in all the other colors. Something I just thought about, if you add embalmer's tools that will reduce the eternalize cost of your creatures won't it?