deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Liliana, the Nightmare Weaver  (Read 249 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
[Modern] Liliana, the Nightmare Weaver
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:51 am »
Liliana, the Nightmare Weaver

This is, at its core, a UB control deck.  But it does it a (maybe?) unique way.  Maybe.  Or not. 

I have a deck called "You're Picking Up What You're Putting Down", which is a UB Control deck based on bouncing Permanents.  It has a weird, convoluted combo with Warped Devotion where you can just make them constantly discard their stuff.  it's pretty brutal.  I got some cards on MTGO and I tried messing with it and I came up with this. 

The win con is, basically, Liliana or Ashiok.  You have an alternate plan with Creeping Tar Pit, but they are your general bread and butter. 

Isochron Scepter exiling any of the 3 instants turns your opponents day into a bad day. 
Isochron + Boomerang = bouncing whatever every turn. 
Isochron + Throat/Fatal push = killing little creatures.
Isochron + Funeral Charm = This is the brutal combo if you can get it.  Funeral charm is an instant speed discard, which means if you get it with Isochron, you can pop it every turn.  I pop it on opponent's, on their draw step, after they draw, before the main phase.  With Liliana, you can get them down to 0 cards, which means they are constantly discarding the card they draw.  It's pretty nice. 

The deck was meh until I threw in Ensnaring Bridge

I'm trying to work on a sideboard, because I'm pretty bad at making those. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Liliana, the Nightmare Weaver
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:13 am »
I would drop your planeswalkers down to 3 because you can only have one planeswalker of the same name.!for example Liliana is a name, you may only have one Liliana planeswalker in play at a time, regardless of which one it is. This would free up 2 spots for other cards. Also I don't see how they're your win conditions.. they don't hurt your opponent and they don't say "you win the game." Yes they can be very good for control but I don't see how you WIN. Can you please explain? Also I haven't looked THAT hard and it's late so sorry if I missed something about that (I probably did) 🙈
Nils is the God I worship

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:14 am »
It just looks like a ton of control and no way to win other than Creeping Tar Pit

luca9395

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:33:45 am »
-1 liliana -1 ashiok +2 the scarab god, as win condition

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
It's win con, so far, has been a slow mill with ashiok. I've put tar pit as a creature but all the games it's won so far have been with ashiok milling or putting something fun out. It's basically been like Lantern where it's a slow, grindy game that either draws or the opponent concedes.

I was actually looking at Scarab God as a possible inclusion, or palace siege. Something that slowly drains. Somebody suggested I try Shrieking Afflictions but idk...

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:12:58 pm »
Palace Siege would be good

xXTommyDarkoxX

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:01:59 am »
It seems like a good concept but, the execution seems off here. There's no mass creature removal. I'd have at least 1 Damnation or Languish. Also, I see no reason to mainboard 3 Pithing Needle. Shrieking Affliction Would be nice if you weren't running boomerang. This is something to consider. It seems that Shrieking Affliction + The Rack + Ensnaring Bridge + Liliana Of The Veil is where you want to be. This is the bare bones of 8rack but, could work in a UB control shell. So the changes I would make to the deck are:

- 4 Boomerang
- 3 Evil Presence
- 3 Pithing Needle
- 3 Hero's Downfall
- 4 Isochron Scepter
- 1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
- 2 Watery Grave
- 2 Island

+1 Fatal Push
+4 Raven's Crime
+4 The Rack
+4 Shrieking Affliction
+4 Inquisition of Kozilek
+1 Damnation
+2 Mana Leak
+2 Remand

Sideboard

-1 Grafdigger's Cage

+2 Pithing Needle
+3 Nihil Spellbomb
+2 Ceremonious Rejection
+1 Damnation
+1 Thoughtseize 

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »
Post-banning version of the deck.  I've been looking forward to adding Jace, the MInd Sculpter for a while. 

Side note: the site may say Jace is banned.  But he was unbanned 2/12/2018. 

Revision 11

Added/removed cards:
+2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Changed amounts:
-2 Funeral Charm

Modern >