deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: You ARE a PIRATE! - Comments  (Read 568 times)

Comment Bot

You ARE a PIRATE! - Comments
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:27 am »
You ARE a PIRATE!

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

osamba

• Decks
Re: You ARE a PIRATE! - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:32 am »
Ruin Raider into Varaska GG....

Benjamin

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:45:02 am »
I think unsummon isn´t that great with hostage taker, because to stole 1 creature you need 5 mana + cmc of the stolen creature and 2 cards.

ReMeDy_III

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:28:49 am »
Okay, I made some revisions:

-Sideboard changes. Harsh Scrutiny works great with Ruin Raider for its 1-CMC and Scry, but gotta make sure opp's running creatures first.
-Reduced Vraska from two to one. It just felt like the right thing to do when I already have four 4-CMC Hostage Taker's.
-Replaced one Unsummon with a fourth Siren Stormtamer to bring my 1-drop creatures up to four.
-Added two Fell Flagships to round out my curve a bit better.

Will test it all on FNM today and see how it goes.

osamba

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:16:15 pm »
I’ve tried Fell Flagship and found in underwhelming Vanquisher’s Banner is better for pump because of the card draw. But then again with Ruin Raider you get hosed. You’re better off probably running Aethersphere Harvester in that slot.

ReMeDy_III

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:38:51 pm »
Well, I got 4th place out of 8 participants. I was somewhat happy with how it worked, but the deck definitely needs revisions. My FNM match summaries:

1st match (0-2): Despite my low mana curve, I struggled to get a 2nd land out, despite the Opt's. I can see why some players hate running Opt -- if you open with a single Island and an Opt, it leaves you in a scary mulligan decision. What's worse, I opened a round with the lone Forest, so I had to mulligan. The Unsummons were awful, as my opponent was running a Panharmonicon deck where all his creatures had, "whenever this creature comes into play..." Yea, try Unsummoning a Verdurous Gearhulk and see how that works for you! Plus, with all the Temur energy cards floating around, I'll move the Unsummons over to the sideboard.

2nd match (2-1): vs. Jace Cunning Castaway w/ Merfolk deck. At this point, I had ditched the Unsummons for Harsh Scrutiny, which is a much better option for trading 1-for-1 in cards, not to mention the Scry. He got Jace out, but it just delayed his death. I still got mana screwed a bit. I did manage to get Vraska out, but I had to tap myself out for it, which is a shame because my hand was flooded with cheap CMC cards from Ruin Raider. Vraska's looking pretty slow right now.

3rd match (2-1): vs. a Dinosaur deck.  The dinosaurs struggled against my pirates with Menace, since the dinosaurs were too expensive, lacking the extra bodies needed to block. Once I gave my Menace pirates a Pirate's Cutlass, it was fairly easy to win.

-----
CHANGES:
- Needs two more land, and replacing the Forest for an extra Island or Swamp. Even though the curve is low, I can always dump extra mana into pirate tokens, Daring Saboteur unblocks, Hostage Taker exiles, swapping around Pirate Cutlass, and the extra land works great with Ruin Raider, since a land = 0 CMC.

- I'm removing Vraska and the Forest. Vraska's too slow and I'd have to tap myself out to play her, meaning I can't dump mana into the above mentioned things for a full turn. Maybe just a simple vehicle, such as Consulate Dreadnought would suffice; a late game knockout punch with a cheap CMC.

ReMeDy_III

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:28:54 am »
Taking a different direction. I'm rolling with 3x Bontu the Glorified as my mid-late game threat over Vraska. Bontu combos quiet well with Ruin Raider, since it's only 3-CMC, can scry, and the life gain is a nice cherry on top. Sacrificing isn't a problem with Fathom Fleet tokens, Siren Stormtamer, and it's nice to self-destruct Dire Fleet Hoarder if you're desperate for that treasure.

awesomewaseem

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 12:31:26 am »
You mention you don't play Kitesail Freebooter b/c, if it doesn't take away a card, it's a vanilla 1/2.  However, it's actually a 1/2 flying — in the current meta it is unlikely to be blockable.  With Pirate Cutlas, as a 3/3 flying, it's quite menacing.
Also, other than the obvious $$$, why not run Scarab God?  All of your creatures are likely dying, esp e/ Bontu, and all would be very impressive as 4/4s.