deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH - Commander] Teysa Karlov  (Read 534 times)

BiscottoSupremo

• Decks
[EDH - Commander] Teysa Karlov
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
Deck: Teysa Karlov

I need to remove 11 cards  :o
Does anyone help me?
Which cards would you remove and why?

Thank you!  ;D

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: [EDH - Commander] Teysa Karlov
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:00:43 pm »
First off, did you check out this thread?

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,42562.0.html

This is an excellent guide that the Deckstats community put together, specifically for commander players that need to cut those last few cards from decks.

BiscottoSupremo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:03:47 pm »
First off, did you check out this thread?

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,42562.0.html

This is an excellent guide that the Deckstats community put together, specifically for commander players that need to cut those last few cards from decks.

Thank you,
I read it but I'm really undecided about which cards to remove.  :P

Ylhyssia

• I love deck-building :3
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:38:43 pm »
It's funny, I was helping someone with a deck very similar to yours earlier, and your deck has the same issue that his deck had.

My biggest issue with your deck is how you have a lot of one-off death triggers, but very few repeatable ones.

For example: Afterlife creatures.

I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I don't like them except as a budget option. Once you kill a creature with afterlife, it's dead, gone, unless you run reanimation. So eventually, if you don't have a way to generate tokens in a consistent way, your deck will run out of gas.

So my cuts would be:

Everything with afterlife, period.

ligntning greaves (if you only have 1 card to protect your commander, it's not worth it, you won't see it in 80% of games).

Revival // Revenge (1st effect only brings back 1 creature once, 2nd effect is too expensive. Run any reanimation that can be reused, like Phyrexian Reclamation, or Hell's caretaker instead.)

Unbreakable Formation (why? It's a death trigger/aristocrat deck, let your stuff die, by all means).

Crested Sunmare (too expensive for what it does, Regna is just 100% better, and you already run her. Run Bitterblossom instead).

Disciple of Bolas (again, one off effect, run Dawn of Hope or Dark Prophecy instead)

Hallowed Spiritkeeper (doesn't generate enough tokens, add Hangarback Walker instead, or Martial Coup since it also doubles as a board wipe)

Archon of Justice (you already run Orzhov Scion, Grave Pact and Dictate, which do the same thing but better. Also very expensive, gotta watch that curve, you have 12 (Twelve!) cards at 5 CMC)

Blasting Station / Darkest Hour, that's a very good combo when you have Orzhov Scion in the command zone, not so good as a part of the 99, since those 2 cards do almost nothing on their own. Easy cut.

Solemn Simulacrum (one off effect, there are much better draw engines with Teysa, see above with Agent of Bolas. Why not Phyrexian Arena or Mentor of the Meek instead?)

Stuff you need:

Hero of Bladehold (2 tokens, every turn)
Hangarback Walker
Elspeth, Sun's champion (3 tokens, every turn)
Martial Coup (tokens, mana dump, board wipe)
Spawning Pit (sac outlet that creates tokens)
Requiem angel (allows you to sac tokens and create more tokens)
Twilight Drover (same as requiem angel)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:46 am »
Pitiless Pontiff seems pointless; you already have zero mana sacrifice outlets, that also do something relevant.
Maybe I'm missing something, but Darkest Hour seems useless without Teysa, Orzhov Scion, and is messes with Attrition.
On second thought, you can scrap most of the afterlife cards (keep Tithe Taker if you hate interaction on your turn). You have better token generators.
Dutiful Attendant is a weak recursion effect, you don't need it.
So six so far. When I have more time I'll come back to this.

BiscottoSupremo

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:24 am »
Thank you all for these suggestions!  :)
I had forgotten to say that the deck will be used in multiplayer commander.
I don’t know if this info can be useful.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:19:01 pm »
I'm back, and ready to remove 5 more cards.

In general I think you should ditch the lifegain theme. You already have a sacrifice/grave theme and a token theme. Adding in lifegain is unnecessary, and lifegain is pretty weak in commander.

This means you can get rid of Authority of the Consuls, Vizkopa Guildmage, Crested Sunmare, Regna, the Redeemer, and Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim.

You might want to keep Blasting Station in, because it's a sacrifice outlet, that also functions as removal. Test it out, if it doesn't work, ditch it for mana ramp.

Ylhyssia

• I love deck-building :3
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:09:49 pm »
I disagree with you @Morganator 2.0

Blasting station isn't a very good sac outlet for Aristocrats because it taps, so it can only sac one creature per turn. Free sac outlets like the altars, or viscera seer are much better. I'd say this list runs more than enough sac outlets, so blasting station can be cut entirely. (Edit: yes I'm aware Station untaps when a creature enters the battlefield, but there are still much better sac outlets available).

While Regna does benefit from Lifegain, she doesn't need a lifegain "theme" to work, since she can tutor Krav by herself, and Krav gives lifegain whenever he sacs a creature. So you can simply use Krav's ability on each of your opponent's turn as well as your own, and she can create 8 tokens by the time it's your turn again. She's probably one of the best token generator available.

On top of that, Teysa already gives lifelink to tokens anyway, so it's not like getting lifegain will be difficult in this deck. Definitely keep Regna and Krav in your deck, they work really well together.

BiscottoSupremo

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »
Hi,
I have done this edits:
-1 Archon of Justice   
-1 Authority of the Consuls   
-1 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim   
-1 Blasting Station   
-1 Crested Sunmare   
-1 Darkest Hour   
-1 Disciple of Bolas   
-1 Dutiful Attendant   
-1 Hallowed Spiritkeeper   
-1 Lightning Greaves   
-1 Ministrant of Obligation   
-1 Orzhov Enforcer   
-1 Pitiless Pontiff   
-1 Revival // Revenge   
-1 Solemn Simulacrum   
-1 Unbreakable Formation

+1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
+1 Hangarback Walker
+1 Martial Coup
+1 Requiem Angel
+1 Twilight Drover

Deck: Teysa Karlov

Tomorrow evening I will try this deck in a 4vs4 commader with friends  8)

Thank you all!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:04:02 am »
I hate to disagree with one thing but Crested Sunmare gives 5/5 indestructible bodies with lifelink compared to Regna, the Redeemer with 2 tokens and cost 1 more mana to boot. With Teysa Karlov on board your 5/5's gain you life. Regna just gives out 1 extra token for more sacrifice options compared to Crested. Regna isn't the best token generators when you need life to generate tokens and Teysa is more geared towards death triggers and not life triggers. The vigilance and lifelink is a bonus not the main goal of Tesya though.

Then of course you have the combo of Divine Visitation, Requiem angel and Ashnod's Altar is unlimited mana. Sac the 4/4 angel, Requiem angel kicks in and puts a 1/1 spirt wich in turn kicks divine visitation in to make a 4/4 angle and gain two colorless mana. Rinse and Repeat to your hearts desire.. Drop in blood artist and game over. Any other sac outlet as well also works. Those 2 together and you constantly have 4/4 angels to do with whatever your heart desires. You can even use blasting station now with this combo as well
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:28 am »
No Elenda the dusk rose? Stuff dying with heavy possibility of putting out a boat load of tokens
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

FinalBosco

• Commander/Brawl/Oathbreaker
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 02:19:56 am »
^^^ Elenda, the Dusk Rose is bae <333

All abhorrent internet speak aside, I've been theorycrafting a Teysa EDH deck that exploits Elenda's death condition. In a perfect board, Ajani's Welcome + Epicure of Blood + Elenda dying is amazing, but adding in Teysa Karlov's ability is just too good to pass up trying. Blow out the entire board by gaining life and watch the salt fly 8)
A spaceman... that's what they say I am.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 04:21:37 am »
Listen to Ylhissia’s advice.

Teysa Karlov as commander is not just about blindly killing everything in sight, or abusing/milking classic 187s.

The key to mastering this commander is to make stuff dying SUPPORT a token based synergy.

Her deck is an amazing blueprint of efficiency in this matter.