deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Session aktualisieren button and then try again.

Autor Thema: New to magic. What can I do to make this deck a lot better. Any suggestions?  (Gelesen 297 mal)

RakdosMatt66

• Decks
http://deck.tk/9nDi6ynN
Your review and help will be greatly appreciated.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
Re: New to magic. What can I do to make this deck a lot better. Any suggestions?
« Antwort #1 am: Mai 25, 2019, 11:54:18 Nachmittag »
I'm going to make some suggestions assuming that you want to keep the deck Casual [and very budget/affordable] but help trim down to the minimum of 60 to increase efficiency. 

- Assassin's Strike and Consign to the Pit are just way too mana intensive for what they do.  Your removal should either be of a lesser converted mana cost [CMC] or provide more bang for the buck.  I'd cut both.
- Aid the Fallen, or effects like it are fine for a casual deck but I'd trim down to just one copy.
- Barrier of Bones, walls are probably not where you want to be in a deck with these 2 colours, I'd cut both.
- Gilded Lotus, a great card but probably more suited to a Commander deck.  Artifacts that produce mana are good but for 60 card casual I'd look for something more like Rakdos Signet
- Douser of Lights, while a sturdy creature, doesn't do anything, I'd cut.
- Fire Elemental, for the same cost you could have more Demanding Dragon, I'd cut all of the Elementals and add one more Dragon [if you have or can get]
- Kaya's Ghostform, fine for casual but I'd cut down to 2 at most and only because I'm assuming you want to keep some focus on your Chandra planeswalker.
- Karplusan Hound, with only one copy of your planeswalker, I'd cut down to 1 or 2 copies.
- Gravewaker, fine as a one-of but the activated ability is expensive so multiple copies don't do a ton for you.
- Price of Fame, its usefulness will depend on how many legendary creatures your opponents are playing.  Better in a Commander deck.  I leave it up to you to assess how valuable these are going to be based on what your opponents will typically be playing.
- Goblin Assailant, while having great flavour text, doesn't do anything.  I'd replace with something like Burning Prophet or Cult Guildmage.  Any 2/2 for 2 mana that has some sort of ability is an upgrade.

The cards in your deck that I think are the best choices are: Demanding Dragon, Lava Coil, Ravenous Chupacabra [I'd look to get one more and replace something with it] and Charging Monstrosaur [2 is probably all you'll want for the deck].  Your deck, however, lacks card draw.  Inexpensive options include: Theater of Horrors, Skeletal Scrying, Promise of Power and Sign in Blood

In a 60 card deck, depending on the overall costs of your spells, you'll want to go to 22-24 lands.  It looks like you've got more black mana requirements so I'd keep more swamps than mountains.

I didn't address every card but made some suggestions to help whittle down the size of the deck so that it plays more consistently.  I also didn't count every cut I suggested but suspect that you'll need to make the last few after some game play tells you what effects you like and what is working for you vs what isn't.  If you're interested in more powerful options [read, more expensive], I can suggest some that aren't break the bank bad.   Hope this advice helps and welcome to MTG!

TheEldraziPenguin

• Decks
Re: New to magic. What can I do to make this deck a lot better. Any suggestions?
« Antwort #2 am: Mai 26, 2019, 12:10:52 Vormittag »
yeah. that pretty much covers it. thought I do suggest making it modern or standard legal.
I am a figment of your Imagination.

iamfat322

• Decks
« Antwort #3 am: Mai 26, 2019, 12:32:20 Vormittag »
Azra Oddsmaker is awesome keep that in.
Fight with fire is fine.
Ghostfire is fine.
Hackrobat is fine.
Lava coil is great.
Mountain is a great card.
Never Happened is fine.
Ravenous Chupacabra is fine.
Swamp is a great card.
Take out everything else.
I know it hurts to take out so many cool cards but cuts have to be made to make the deck better. Next you'll want to go down to 20-22 lands. Burn is more of an aggressive deck and my budget burn deck can sometimes keep a hand with only 1 land and survive and without all the 5+ mana creatures you will be fine.

Now you have 22 lands and the 12 cards I suggested to keep.
Thats a total of 34 cards, not enough for a deck. Some great cheap
cards I would suggest for you would be:
Burn Spells:
Shock
Lightning Strike
Lava Dart
Lightning Bolt (More expen$ive or $)
Needle Drop ($)
Cards that boost your burn spells:
Guttersnipe
Thermo-Alchemist
Electrostatic Field
Harness the Storm
Burning Vengeance (Works well with Harness the Storm)
Other Spells:
Faithless Looting
Light up the Stage ($)
Risk Factor ($)

You also may want to consider going mono-red. This not only increases your consistency with your land but saves you money for dual lands allowing you to use more powerful cards.
Here's a budget shell for a mono-red burn deck off the top of my head.
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Lava Dart
4 Magma Jet
4 Rift Bolt
3 Harness the Storm
4 Guttersnipe
4 Thermo-Alchemist
2 Magus of the Wheel
21 Mountain
1 Detection Tower

Personally, I have a janky burn deck that uses Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded and Faithless Looting and Magus of the Wheel to ditch cards into the graeyard and use Harness the Storm to dig them out and using the cast triggers off of Guttersnipe to burn them out as I Lightning Bolt their creatures.

I hope this helps you a little bit. :)