deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Session aktualisieren button and then try again.

Autor Thema: [Oathbreaker] Do you like bears?  (Gelesen 776 mal)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
[Oathbreaker] Do you like bears?
« am: August 21, 2019, 09:58:11 Vormittag »
Do you like bears?

So it seems to me that Oathbreaker is a pretty busted format (I like it and enjoy playing it at the kitchen table, but it can be broken pretty easily). The consistency the signature spell allows is pretty ridiculous.

This is my take on the slightly more busted Lab Maniac Jace + Mana Severance + 58 lands combo. It's worse, but I really like bears.

It's simple. You play Kiora on 3. Hunt on 4.

You go find Ayula's Influence. With a bit of luck, you can use Kiora's untap to untap a land and play that on 4 too. Then you make bears. Lots of bears. If you got a decent amount of lands in hand from the hunt, you can probably win on 5. If not, you get a 2/2 every turn for the rest of the game.

The spellbook is there for two reasons. If you hit it off the first hunt, you can just play it and keep your lands in hand. This is ideal as you can activate the influence at instant speed, which means you can do it at the last possible moment and protect as much as possible from wipes.

If you hit the influence first, it will give you a chance to hunt again on 5 and restock your hand with lands, and then provide the same benefit as if you hit it first, allowing you to keep everything in your hand until the last possible moment.

Not sure if there are enough blue sources. Might need to adjust slightly after a few plays.

You could also adjust this deck into Izzet for that discard a land to shock or dimir for that discard two lands for a zombie card, but bears are where it's at for me, plus Kiora is only a 3 drop and lets you potentially get hunt and influence out on turn 4.
« Letzte Änderung: August 21, 2019, 10:29:54 Vormittag von CleanBelwas »

DataS

• Decks
Re: [Oathbreaker] Do you like bears?
« Antwort #1 am: August 21, 2019, 09:11:55 Nachmittag »
Seems interesting but this deck will suffer the same downside as the Jace version. You’re spending the first few turns of the game in a very Aggro-enabled format with no blockers. My personal group meta would have you dead before you have the mana to Kiora and Hunt on the same turn fairly reliably. And if the combo does go off, it is not until the table is at boardwipe mana, and 3 opportunities to do so, which depending on how many lands you hit before influence, might not even be required.

All in all, it seems like a very fragile combo deck, but still decently interesting.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Antwort #2 am: August 21, 2019, 09:31:26 Nachmittag »
Yea I completely agree, this is not a good deck, just an interesting one. Leaving yourself open to be attacked by 3 players for the first 4-5 turns is bad in any format.

The point is that having access to a key spell makes things incredibly consistent. People have built around treasure hunt before and those decks are always incredibly powerful they hit their components early and useless if they don't. Having them easily accessible takes a lot of that uncertainty out. This is obviously slowed by having to cast your oathbreaker first, and even Kiora's 3cmc and untap ability only allows this to function so fast.

There are most certainly ways to break it more while staying competitive and not being as vulnerable, but I really like bears so this came to my mind. I also liked the idea that anyone who has just a stack of spare lands could build an oathbreaker deck for under £1. Fun jank, but not going to hold up against 3 opponents smashing faces.

ezqimo

• Decks
« Antwort #3 am: August 22, 2019, 06:13:36 Nachmittag »
Hey Man,

Super sweet deck !

Always nice to see Casual players brewing ! If you like some more casual budget decks , feel free to check out my channel and give me some feedback ...

https://youtu.be/jKkhHq_EKRw

Cheers !

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Antwort #4 am: Juni 27, 2023, 03:04:57 Vormittag »
it's not a fragile deck at all, you can keep casting the treasure hunt and making bears in the early turns

I just ran this yesterday - and found out that having the Ayula's Influence in your starting hand and drawing the Spellbook - let's just say that on turn 4, when I triggered the Treasure Hunt, I decked myself out.

HAHAHAHA - probably need to mulligan if you have either of those in your opening hand so that you still have at least one "stop click" in your deck/library.

But, hey, I was able to discard to create something like 40 bears, then on my next turn, no cards in my library, so I immediately lost the game.