deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: M21 thoughts & comments  (Read 4130 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
M21 thoughts & comments
« on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:33 pm »
To try to keep the comments separate from the Spoiler thread so that things don't get lost...

My initial thoughts:

* Grim Tutor reprint? A $200 card reprinted in a Core set? Damn.

* I wish the two Liliana's CMC's were switched. I really like the PW deck one for my Sidisi deck but at 6 CMC, it just isn't going to make the cut while the other one is only 4 CMC. Oh well. Maybe I'll get a nice new zombie or two.

ETA- just thought about it, more likely to cool new zombies in the Jumpstart product this summer probably.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:06:55 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: M21 thoughts & comments
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:04:50 pm »
Peer into the Abyss is rad as hell. It's such a stupid, suicide black card. It's everything I love.

And the art is absolutely incredible in a "what the hell did I just look at" kind of way.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:44:35 pm »
Is it just me or does this Core set seem spicier than usual?

Anyhow seconded on Peer into the Abyss, I'd at least like to try to find a way to use it in Licia, Sanguine Tribune where Children of Korlis can fix you right up after it.

Teferi, Master of Time seems great as well! Pretty much requires attacks/answers in turn cycle and a half or extra turns are on the menu. Finally some valuable reprints too, seems good.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:57:54 pm »
Grim Tutor was only $200 because it was printed one time in a rare set. As far as tutors go, there is better.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:06:26 pm »
Yea, I just meant as far as that they would actually reprint a card worth that much in a core set.

This set does appear to look pretty good so far, I may actually buy a box if the rest of the previews look as promising as what's been released so far if for no other reason than trade value.

ETA- Ugin is preselling for $30-40. Grim Tutor for $20-25.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:35:48 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:42 pm »
For some reason I'm really stoked about the keyword "mills". I have no rational justification for this but it just makes me happy nonetheless. I wonder if we'll ever get "rummages" and "loots" too...
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 12:50:50 am »
I like that Dogs will be getting a lot of promising cards (maybe hounds will be errataed to Dogs?). That being said, I think Teferi, Master of Time will be broken in Commander.  Vorel of the Hull Clade or Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, anyone?  If I am reading it correctly, he can activate on every turn due to his static, so he comes equipped with Teferi, Temporal Archmage emblem already equipped for free?

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 12:53:31 am »
Let's be honest, WotC did alot in the last half year in order to anger the community. just remember the super secret lair with enemy fetches.
The reprints now look a little like some kind of compensation.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 01:11:19 am »
Peer Into The Abyss wasn't quite what I expected from the initial teaser from Rosewater. I was thinking more along the lines of an Enter The Infinite like effect. It certainly will have a place in decks such as Nekusar, The Mindrazer. It also combos in standard with Teferi's Tutelage being printed in Core21.

It's cool to see Mill actually become a keyword. It will clean up many older cards that see reprints in the future, but also creates literal card space for design without the extra sentence or two explaining mill everytime in longform.

The reprints so far are interesting choices, but I guess some relate to how Core and Jumpstart will have some overlap. 

Surprised on the mixed opinions already on Chromatic Orrery. I felt like it would be an auto include for most 3-5 colour EDH decks that aren't trying to be cEDH or power level 8-10.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:14:11 am by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 01:38:57 am »
First off, I think last year's core set was a lot better than previous years. As a Commander player, all the new, fantastic options for Commanders were cool, the Leylines were solid reprints, and new planeswalkers like Ajani, Strength of the Pride; Chandra, Awakened Inferno; and Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord were all cool.

This year, it looks like Wizards is trying to make their Core Sets fun again, which I like. I like they are already showing some solid reprints like Ugin and Grim Tutor. I'm interested in the Cat/Dog tribal commander (I love tribal decks more than I should). I am definitely not interested in Mangara, the Diplomat, as while he is card draw and it is inconsistent & boring (doesn't inspire any ideas, deckbuilding-wise).

Overall, I'm excited. This set is already looking to be fun, and I await the rest of the spoilers.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 12:43:07 pm »
Surprised on the mixed opinions already on Chromatic Orrery. I felt like it would be an auto include for most 3-5 colour EDH decks that aren't trying to be cEDH or power level 8-10.

I wouldn't add it into my 3c+ decks per default. It's interesting, but a ramp/fixing piece as curve topper feels wrong. I think its way more interesting for artifact heavy decks, where you have enough colorless ramp. The only decks I currently would like to add it is Memnarch and Mishra, Artificer Prodigy (if I decide to rework the deck after the paradox ban and then finally put it together).
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 01:57:48 pm »
I knew I should have made that bingo card for M21. I was totally going to get "mana rock that no one will use". Oh well. I'll just have to wait until Commander Legends.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 02:57:19 pm »
I knew I should have made that bingo card for M21. I was totally going to get "mana rock that no one will use". Oh well. I'll just have to wait until Commander Legends.

Yeah.  But that's an easy one.  Now that we have the entire Talisman cycle and Arcane Signet (plus the other signets), any mana rock that costs more than 2 won't see much play.

Now if you picked Grim Tutor reprint, that would be impressive.
Happy Brewing!
:)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 10:26:33 pm »

I'm very on the fence about Llanowar Visionary in Ezuri, Renegade Leader. I really wish it was 2 mana (might be a bit much then, though), but I am just not quite sure if the effect is worth it at 3 mana.

I already run Elvish Visionary & Generous Patron, but Visionary is only 2 mana and Patron draws 2 cards (and encourages political plays).

My mana dorks are either 1 mana or they produce more than 1 mana at a time, and this is neither.

I'm honestly thinking against including it, but I would love to see what the other resident Elf aficionado (in addition to everybody) thinks about it.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:22 pm »
I think this elf will see play in casual elf decks.

And if you're tying to combine ramp and card draw into a single card, this is literally an Elvish Visionary and Elvish Mystic stapled together.
Happy Brewing!
:)