deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Collaborative Creative Creature Closet  (Read 1657 times)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
The Collaborative Creative Creature Closet
« on: July 03, 2020, 01:06:45 am »
For a couple of days now there has been a lot of talk on the "Tribes you wish to see more support for" thread (https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php?language=english-utf8&topic=55029.msg163879;topicseen#new) about Oozes, how they are underappreciated and unsupported, what embodies the spirit of an Ooze, and what the best, most flavourful commander would look like to lead the Oozes in a tribal EDH deck.

It was a fun conversation, so I decided to make a thread of my own, where people come and talk about tribes they wish to see new legends/creatures for, and we all work together to make a cool creature that is ready to lead a tribe to victory - or just a creature that you think should be added to support the body of a tribal deck.

So anyway, I'm working on the design of the Ooze Commander now, drawing up the art and all that. Other tribes that people wanted more support for were Specters, Warlocks, Dwarves, Octopuses, Nephilim, Golems, Rogues, Shamans, Satyrs, Horses, Beasts, Sphinxes, Scarecrows, Griffins, Archers, Rats, Werewolves, Bears, and Devils, among a few others. So we have a lot to work with.

If this thread could actually start some cool conversation, that would make me very happy. So while I slave away making a new Ooze lord (which will be the best Ooze lord of all) maybe everybody else could come up with new card ideas or even make new creatures and showcase them here!

Have fun  :D

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Re: The Collaborative Creative Creature Closet
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:24:52 am »
I've whipped up a template for the Ooze Lord, and I just have the art to do now. Any ideas or suggestions to help?

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2020/7/2/1593733741144723.png

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:13 am »
I just have the art to do now. Any ideas or suggestions to help?

/snark mode on

Plastic Man   ;)

/snark mode off
Happy Brewing!
:)

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:49:19 am »

/snark mode on

Plastic Man   ;)

/snark mode off

Hehehe - you mean like this?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 03:26:50 am »
Couldn't this just be mono green? Most Oozes are green, with 4 black oozes and 4 red. The keyword abilities are also all found on green creatures. Mechanically, this is a straight green card. Flavor-wise there could be an argument for black (focus on death and rebirth, Necrotic Ooze) and maybe blue (ever-changing physiology, Experiment Kraj), but red seems like a stretch.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 03:39:47 am »
Couldn't this just be mono green? Most Oozes are green, with 4 black oozes and 4 red. The keyword abilities are also all found on green creatures. Mechanically, this is a straight green card. Flavor-wise there could be an argument for black (focus on death and rebirth, Necrotic Ooze) and maybe blue (ever-changing physiology, Experiment Kraj), but red seems like a stretch.

That is a good point. The only reason that I added red and blue were so that (If it was commander for an Ooze deck) you had all your options open. Yes, it could just be mono-green, but I prefer the idea of a green/black Ooze deck myself.

The flavour that I'm looking for could include cards like Umori, the Collector, as well as things like a random Ooze-flavoured instant card I made called "Horrific Transformation." For me, the idea of an Ooze tribal is consume, destroy, replicate, and grow, so I'll sooner remove both red and blue than Black.

I agree though, red and blue are a bit of a stretch... I'll remove them in the final version. And here's the other card - again no art yet:

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 04:39:40 am »
Couldn't this just be mono green?

When I first saw it, I also wondered why it was so many colors.  And why no white.  But then I realized the whole point was to have all the oozes in the deck.  There are no white oozes.  But there are oozes in the other four. 

While WotC does try to make things minimal colors, they have gone the opposite way lately with Legendary creatures.  They go for the maximum amount of colors for Legendary creatures, just so there are more Commander options.  I do believe that if Wizards were to create an ooze lord for Commander, it very well could be 4-colored.

I applaud the 4-colored ooze lord.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 05:47:49 am »
For an ooze legend, I think I'd want something more along the lines of

Ooze Legend
BBGG
1/1
When Ooze Legend enters the battlefield, create X 1/1 Ooze tokens, where X is the number of oozes you control.

Sacrifice an ooze: Put X 1/1 counters on Ooze Legend where X is the sacrificed creature's toughness.

When Ooze Legend dies, create X-1 1/1 Ooze tokens, where X is Ooze Legend's toughness.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:06 am »
If I were to create a theme for an Ooze-tribe I think it would be something similar to the Oozes from Might and Magic (VI - the Mandate of Heaven). Those are invulnerable to non-Magic damage.
In mtg it could be something like preventing the combat damage. I really like the somewhat logical idea of an Ooze (=> liquid-ish lifeform) not being cut-able by swords and the like. :D

I would not exclude other abilities like generating more Oozes. For me this would be like a keyword (like dragons always have Flying).
Or to name a similar tribe: almost every Illusions is to be sacrificed when targeted by a spell or ability. Same for the Oozes with invulnerability.

This idea is just imaginary though, since there are (nearly?) no Oozes with similar abilities to this and will most likely never be. At least not enough to have a fully playable tribe.

________

Edit:
Instead of preventing all combat damage (which might be pretty OP), every Ooze could have Protection from Creatures of their color-identity.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:55:45 pm by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:57 pm »
I really like the somewhat logical idea of an Ooze not being cut-able by swords and the like. :D

Yeah, absolutely! I hadn’t thought of that before. Something involving damage prevention from humans, soldiers, and knights maybe? That isn’t as powerful as preventing all combat damage (because that would be too OP) yet still gives the idea of “un-cuttable.”

Alternatively, something like invulnerability to creatures with equipment would be better flavour-wise (see cards like Bronze Sword), yet I feel that that would be too ineffective in gameplay. I think your idea of “invulnerability from identically coloured creatures” would work very nicely. My only problem with that is that, like both my suggestions, it’s effectiveness would differ from game to game, but nothing’s perfect, right?

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »

I think your idea of “invulnerability from identically coloured creatures” would work very nicely. My only problem with that is that, like both my suggestions, it’s effectiveness would differ from game to game, but nothing’s perfect, right?

Of course, the effectiveness would differ. As you say nothing is perfect and each deck has its weaknesses, as combo decks most likely lose to control or at least counterspells.

Your idea of having protection from equiped creatures does not include attacks like swipes of a bear's claw or something. ;)

In general each ability no matter if its to strong, to weak or less likely to be helpful can be compensated with stats and mana costs. An Ooze with Protection from its color identity (which would make it unblockable sometimes) could cost 4 mana for a 1/1 or 2/2.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 05:15:32 am »
Now that I have all I need to finish the Ooze Lord, how about we look on a different creature type? Like SHARKS!

The only legendary Shark we have at the current time is Shabraz, the Skyshark, who is a "Shark Bird," not a shark, and is partnered with Brallin, Skyshark Rider. This means that he is not suitable for a proper Shark Lord as his flavour is not in line with all the other ones and his main purpose is to synergize with Brallin. So how about we solve this problem and give sharks a new lord? I'll let you guys start on this one, but I will give the info so no-one has to search anything.

Shark Colours:
(Colour) - (Amount)
Green - 1
Blue - 5
Simic (U/G) - 2
Azorius (U/W) - 1

Shark CMCs:
(CMC) - (Amount)
2 - 2
3 - 1
4 - 1
5 - 3
6 - 1
7 - 1

So, what do you think embodies the Shark type? Maybe come up with some draft formats? All points are valid!

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 01:24:04 pm »
I second that opinion that the Ooze legend should be monocolour with probably only splashing red or black. Otherwise, I'd prefer a lord for the Sea Monsters, yet something like that: "Krakens, Leviathans, Octopuses and Serpents you control gain Islandwalk and enter the battlefield with shroud or trample counter by your choice". Meaning with Quest for Ula's Temple, players wouldn't have to cast them and put them directly at each end step. Give a wish spell to genies and effreets? Why not, but it has to be good.
Regards,
Chavdar

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 05:49:31 am »
I second that opinion that the Ooze legend should be monocolour with probably only splashing red or black. Otherwise, I'd prefer a lord for the Sea Monsters, yet something like that: "Krakens, Leviathans, Octopuses and Serpents you control gain Islandwalk and enter the battlefield with shroud or trample counter by your choice".

Thanks for your opinion! As prestated by ApothecaryGeist, the reason it's four-coloured is to include all the possible Oozes. I see no reason to make it mono-coloured, as that would only hamper the ability to include a variety of Oozes in a tribal EDH deck with this as Commander. Possibly gaining access to the commander faster in-game may be an argument to make it mono-green, but we can see the four-coloured decks are perfectly achievable in this day and age, with so many fetchlands, shocklands, etc. that improve EDH manabases.

Also, if you want a Sea-Monster Lord, I'm all for that! If you want, you can write up a design representing your ideas in the format:

[Cardname] - [Mana Cost]
[Type] - [Subtype/s]
[Abilities and Attributes]
[Power]/[Toughness]

I'd be happy to make art and design a card for you if that's what you want, and I can also give suggestions in terms of design and gameplay. Since this is a forum, I'm pretty sure that we'll get others joining in to give their ideas. That's what this thread is for anyway.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 07:41:15 pm »
Sealoxus, Permanent Tide
Legendary Creature - Kraken Leviathan Lord - 4uu
Islandwalk, trample, shroud.
Krakens, Leviathans, Octopuses and Serpents gain Islandwalk and enter the battlefield with trample or shroud counter.
5/5