deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: With some game stores reopening...  (Leído 2156 veces)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: With some game stores reopening...
« Respuesta #15 en: Agosto 15, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »
...Some people have compromised immune systems. Some people have relatives with weak immune systems. Many people aren't lucky enough to survive covid, let alone without persisting effects.

I feel this. My wife has a condition called Lupus (SLE). Her immune system is heavily compromised and she is considered to be at "very high risk" from Covid-19. Some of our friends are failing to understand the implications of this and are expecting us to start doing more social things now that pubs and restaurants and what not are open again. Naturally, we're not.

Just wanted to pass on my appreciation to those of you like Sylvester12 here who are considerate, taking necessary precautions and keeping these things in mind. From a family that are very much affected by it, we appreciate it a lot. It is only through these actions that we can hope to come out the other side. This is the new normal now. Probably will be for some time.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Respuesta #16 en: Agosto 15, 2020, 11:53:16 pm »
...Some people have compromised immune systems. Some people have relatives with weak immune systems. Many people aren't lucky enough to survive covid, let alone without persisting effects.

I feel this. My wife has a condition called Lupus (SLE). Her immune system is heavily compromised and she is considered to be at "very high risk" from Covid-19. Some of our friends are failing to understand the implications of this and are expecting us to start doing more social things now that pubs and restaurants and what not are open again. Naturally, we're not.

Just wanted to pass on my appreciation to those of you like Sylvester12 here who are considerate, taking necessary precautions and keeping these things in mind. From a family that are very much affected by it, we appreciate it a lot. It is only through these actions that we can hope to come out the other side. This is the new normal now. Probably will be for some time.
I have a friend who is immunocompromised. I haven't talked to him recently (we really only interacted in-person), but I think he's okay. Even before Covid, he missed a lot of school, and I can't imagine him getting Covid.

I did a little research, and about 3% of the U.S. population (~7 million people) is immunocompromised. Note: this number doesn't even include healthy elderly people (for reference, there are over 54 million people 65 or older in the U.S., although some people may be included in both groups), which would skyrocket the number of people in extra danger from Covid.

Source 1: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/immunosuppressed-coronavirus-wellness-trnd/index.html
Source 2: https://www.census.gov/topics/population/older-aging.html

Wearing a mask is just as much, if not more, for others than it is for yourself. Remember this.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Respuesta #17 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 08:07:16 am »
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what you're advocating for, Chavdar. You said your government took some drastic measures and beat SARS-CoV-2 that way. Shouldn't other countries follow suit and do the same, i.e. take drastic measures?
Well it's too late for this, in my honest opinion. The virus has spread very fast. Should have but it's too late.

I'm not sure if I'm that lucky. Really. With my bouts of epileptic seizures, returning this year, I'm really not that sure.

I was ironic, but in my opinion, yes, I do agree that the safety measures probably work for countries with higly infected population. Here, in Bulgaria, we took precautions and preventive measures that saved lives.

Also, judging by the death toll, I think the parasite does infect and kill mostly the elderly people. So, I still think it has to die by itself. I'm not advocating anything. Me and my girlfriend both got sick around March and recovered from covid influenza around May. The tonne of the article just wasn't for my liking, but I guess it's good for preventive measures.

Does everyone gave me downvotes? Giving downvotes on posts is shite. It should be separated from ones on decks. Fantastic system but 10 downvotes on my worst nightmares this evening brought me to tears.
Regards,
Chavdar

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Respuesta #18 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 10:36:23 am »
Does everyone gave me downvotes? Giving downvotes on posts is shite. It should be separated from ones on decks. Fantastic system but 10 downvotes on my worst nightmares this evening brought me to tears.

That is the risk of posting your oppinion somewhere. If you are together with you're friends and give input on a discusion you have to be aware that the other's may not agree with it.
Especially if you communicate in a more or less provocative manner (at least it seems like the other ones posting in this thread took it like this), attacking someone how put a lot of efford in something to help the community. You really mustn't wonder about the reactions.

I confess I downvoted you too, because I FIND IT SHITTY to rant about someone in such a manner.

'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Respuesta #19 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 10:43:36 am »
I don't wonder now, but it's huge downfall for me that brought me to tears. I might've been provocative, but I didn't expect such a backwave of negative feedback. I'm sorry. I guess, I'm not with friends. I won't be posting anytime soon.
Regards,
Chavdar

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Respuesta #20 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 10:47:56 am »
I don't wonder now, but it's huge downfall for me that brought me to tears. I might've been provocative, but I didn't expect such a backwave of negative feedback. I'm sorry. I guess, I'm not with friends. I won't be posting anytime soon.
Regards,
Chavdar

Tbh that sounds a bit childish, but individuals are individual I believe. So do what you like and get your mind together (not meant to sound offending). Knowing the community I don't think/hope you will get similar reactions in the future just because of what happened here. Take your time.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Respuesta #21 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »
Well, it is offending. My current state of mind, considering my epilepsy as stated is extremely fragile and it is offending, but I guess it's just me. I didn't know the community and getting another downvote on my last post when I expressed my tearful disappointment is also offending and hurtful. I really don't know how much longer I'll be here, but still I'm thankful for the great system and the amount of upvotes I received on my Tribal combinations.
Regards,
Chavdar

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Respuesta #22 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 04:26:49 pm »
Chavdar,

You're advocating inaction in the face of a global pandemic, and a large part of your motive comes from a notion that you've been exposed and were fine. You are saying that many countries are too far gone and should just accept their fate.

Inaction will result in the deaths of many more fathers and mothers, wives and husbands, children, partners, friends and colleagues. Every preventable death is a tragedy. Every action we can take to stop more is an action worth taking. This isn't about geographical borders and caring about how one country is faring against another. There is a real human cost to this pandemic. People are dying.

There are people across the globe who haven't been as lucky as you were. There are many more who still won't be.

I will gladly stay home, wear a mask, wash my hands every five minutes, not see my friends and family for months on end, and everything else that I can do to help bring this thing to an end without more people dying.

Your mindset is truly baffling to me. Try a little empathy for those who have lost people dear to them. Maybe spend more time thinking about the impact this is having on the world and less time caring about meaningless fake internet points.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Respuesta #23 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 04:51:59 pm »
Alright, time for me to step in.

I made this thread to help people to be safe if they do choose to go out to a local game store. I initially wasn't going to touch on this topic, but after seeing how badly some other placed did it, I couldn't stay quiet. There was a dude on Reddit who made a post with the same intent as mine, but with different advice...

Last night at my LGS I had a player who exhaled like this multiple times during a pod game and some of his spittle landed on my face and forehead, and there even was a drop that landed on my commander on my board state. This LGS requires a mask to enter, and encourages wearing a mask while incide but does not require a mask within the store or playing at the tables. Usually on nights that I am there, about 60% of people wear a mask while playing at the tables. If you choose not to wear a mask while playing in the pod, just try to be conscious of expelling air with enough force to launch your saliva across the table.

This is something out of a horror story for me. Wear a mask! That should be standard.

And this post wasn't aimed at places with a high number of cases, I made it for places that handled the pandemic well, and are in the process of reopening some services. Countries like Bulgaria, Canada, and Germany. When I said "If you're in a location that has a spike in cases, or just a high number of cases (like a certain North American country...), you should stay home", that certain North American country that I was referring to was the United States (although admittedly Mexico isn't doing that great either). If you're in a place that still has a high number of cases, stay home.

But even if your country handled it well, if you don't follow proper safety procedures, you risk starting a second wave. That's why I want people to be safe, to wash hands often, to wear a mask. You on the other hand, didn't see it this way and thought it was hypochondriac, nasty and absolutely uncooperative. Now there definitely were parts that were ranty (the initial outburst, calling people that bite nails off animals, the freakout over pissing on the toilet bowl/seat/floor) but my intent was to provide useful information relevant to a game store setting. And you knew that you were going to get downvoted for what you were saying. Most of that stuff I can look past, but there is one in particular that I'll address now:

So, I still think it has to die by itself.

No! Absolutely not! There's no guarantee that this will just disappear one day. Swine flu is still around. Avian flu exists. The Black Plague (caused by the bacterium Yersinia Pestis) still has outbreaks in some parts of the world. All of these have a lower R0 (infection rate) than Covid-19. We need to take action. There are 127 vaccines in medical trial right now. I'll let the medical professionals handle that. We need to focus on stopping the spread as much as we can by being responsible.

And there is something you can do too. Because you've had the virus and have since recovered, a unique opportunity has come to you to save lives: go donate blood plasma. Get an antibody test done, and if you have the Covid-19 antibodies, you can donate blood plasma to help someone else fight off the infection. While wearing a mask indirectly saves lives, donating antibodies will directly save someone's life. Isn't that worth more than internet points?
« Última modificación: Agosto 16, 2020, 05:07:40 pm por Morganator 2.0 »

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Respuesta #24 en: Agosto 16, 2020, 05:11:03 pm »
I did. I gave blood while I was infected and gave it the moment I knew I've recovered. Considering my mind state, I might lose my epileptic battle anytime so I'm not that Jim Carrey lucky man. I really mislooked and misspoke, but the post was huge and the mask advertisement was big, that I saw only "ranting" for which and I'm sorry.
Regards,
Chavdar

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Respuesta #25 en: Agosto 17, 2020, 10:36:24 pm »
I'll think the actual xkcd comic fits into the topic:

Mouseover: "I'm like a vampire, except I'm not crossing that threshold even if you invite me."
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Respuesta #26 en: Septiembre 02, 2020, 05:40:48 pm »
Last night, The Krusty Krab did an after-hours event for commander. The event went smoothly, but there were some issues with people wearing their masks incorrectly. Other than that, the other 6 people all wore masks and we kept our distance. Because of the barriers set up at the tables, no one touched each other's cards. When we got hungry, we went outside to eat. When we were done for the night, we cleaned off our play space. Things were great. I also highly recommend getting those dry-erase cards I mentioned earlier. They help a ton with all kinds of things.

With schools reopening right about now, and flu season just around the corner, I'm going to closely monitor Covid spread in my region. When cases start spiking, I'm shutting down this event.

So now I want to go over some misconceptions people seem to have about this pandemic and safety. First of all, this disease travels through respiratory droplets, which isn't the same as being airborne. This means that wearing a mask takes care of most of your problems, hence why it's important to wear one and wear it properly.

Second, I mentioned gloves earlier, but I think I should give a better description. For some reason, people think that because they are wearing gloves they don't need to be careful with what they touch. Like a few weeks back I saw a woman in the super market eat a grape out of a bag from the shelf, and we she saw that I was looking at her dumbfounded, she said "It's alright, I'm wearing gloves." Ignoring all the other things wrong with this, that is not how gloves work. The idea behind gloves is you put them on before touching a hazardous surface, and then you take them off once you're done, before touching anything else.

Third, being outdoors doesn't make you safe from infection. A lot of regulations recommend hosting outdoor events because it's easier to keep your distance outside than it is inside. But it doesn't make a difference if you stay packed together, like what many restaurants and bars are doing with their outdoor patio. If you're doing an outdoor meetup of any kind, you still need to distance.

Lastly, a few weeks back, while my friends were all talking over safety measures with the LGS, someone brought up viral shields, which he said was a product that you can spray on a surface to protect it against viruses for up to a week. Naturally I was skeptical, so I looked into it.

First off, the claims for these products go on the lines of "Protects against SARS viruses" (a sentence designed to make you think it stops Covid) and lasting anywhere between 24 hours and a month. While there are several of these products, none of them are listed by the FDA as proper Covid preventative measure, and a few of them are under investigation for false advertising claims. So, a couple red flags right away.

I found that the websites for these products were eager to say that they protect against bacteria and viruses, but were reluctant to show a journal article as proof, or even explain the mechanism by which it prevents. One of them however, did give a journal article which provided the data for a challenge trial against bacteria like E. coli and MRSA, and the product did manage to keep those surfaces clear for a few weeks. Great, except those were bacteria species with a lipid membrane. Viruses are much smaller and have a protein membrane, so there was no proof that this would help against Covid-19.

Even if this stuff did work, I can't help but think it would give the same false sense of security that gloves give. "Don't worry, I used a viral shield". As it stands, your best option is still to use disinfectant wipes or isopropyl alcohol to disinfect surfaces after you've used them.

Stay safe Deckstats.