deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zendikar Rising- what cards for which decks?  (Read 624 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Zendikar Rising- what cards for which decks?
« on: September 10, 2020, 04:18:36 pm »
Alright with most of the set previewed (270 of 280 cards according to Mythicspoiler), what are our thoughts and what cards interest us the most. Mine are:

Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
* Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore: It would count as a zombie for the buffs if I copy a zombie with it, at best it's a second Craterhoof, at worst it's a duplicate zombie lord or Bloom Tender or Glen Elandra Archmage or ... Seems pretty decent but as always, play testing will tell the tell.

Karador- Shadowborn Apostle
* Taborax, Hope's Demise: looks like a sure thing for the deck but we'll see. I'm hoping it's as good as it looks but I've been let down by demons before.

Skullbriar
* Hagra Constrictor: seems like a nice way to give Skullbriar Menace. It seems like it plays pretty well into the +1/+1 counter theme of the deck.
* Oran-Rief Ooze: is at least worth trying out. It could be very similar to a Drana, Liberator of Malakir effect but it's on attack and not on damage to a player which could make it better.
* Grakmaw, Skyclave Ravager: is going to  be tried out in, I think it has some potential but I'm not entirely sure.

I've already looked at it and decided which cards to take out for them. If the play-testing goes well I can have a few new toys for some of my favorite decks.

ETA- the last 10 cards were just previewed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:33:41 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Zendikar Rising- what cards for which decks?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:55:38 pm »
I know it's dumb with all the new exciting stuff coming out, but the card I'm most hyped for is Demon's Disciple. I'll play Fleshy B, plaguecrafter and executioner in every black deck I have (and I have a lot of black decks) so having more of these effects is superb to me. Also has the all important human type which is great for my Queen Marchesa aristocrats deck that runs a human tribal sub theme.

Feed the Swarm is pretty good for us mono black players. Not sure if I like that black can now remove enchantments but purely from a gameplay perspective, it's nice to have the option.

Charix, the Raging Isle also looks super fun. Not sure yet if I want to add it to Arixmethes big dumb sea monsters or if I want to make a new deck out if it entirely with stuff that makes things with low power unblockable then activate before damage. Either way, he's my favourite big dumb idiot they've printed in a long time.

Felidar Retreat is pretty good too. My stupid colourless Golos deck is glad of any "landfall, make a token" effects, and this is actually a good one.

Maxix

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:58:18 pm »
I want to try Ancient Greenwarden in Omnath, Locus of Rage. Though I feel like it's going to eat so much removal that I'll never get to have it and Omnath at the same time on the field.

Demon's Disciple is not very exciting but might go in my Meren deck.

Skyclave Relic in Budget BrudicladTM because why not.

I would love to do something with Charix, the Raging Isle too. I like the design but don't have inspiration for it atm :/ I take suggestions !

I was never really into Zendikar theme/design, so I think I'll mostly stay aside from this set and save for Commander Legends  :)

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Ancient greenwared for my uro deck and gitrog deck both of them get a huge boost from both abilities while still keeping them around the same power level as my playgroup.

All of the spell lands seem pretty cool too being as at worst case its a tap land and getting to play a land even if its tapped is better than not playing your spells.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
I don't see too many must-haves, sadly.

Anticognition could work well in my Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath deck since I often try to get Mesmeric Orb out.

Jace, Mirror Mage is something I could see jamming into...some deck. Don't know which, yet.

Lithoform Blight could work in something that attempts to create mana of all colours like Sen Triplets.

Nahiri's Lithoforming is an interesting card I'm planning to do something with. Maybe Rosheen Meanderer? It sorely needs some X draw and this is exactly that. Obviously a huge risk (huge reward) card.

Valakut Awakening is definitely going in Rosheen Meanderer. I just realised it's not a full wheel. Not going in. I was actually thinking about wheels in general as a form of card draw for that deck. Never quite realised I could do that.

Skyclave Relic is going into my Sen Triplets. Need all the coloured mana here.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 05:34:45 pm »
Meren of Clan Nel Toth:

Demon's Disciple is nice as another Plaguecrafter effect.

Nullpriest of Oblivion is interesting, I'm very on the fence here.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death:

Skyclave Apparition is the card I'm most excited for. Alesha has lacked a creature that can remove artifacts/enchantments permanently, and Apparition is fantastic. Even without a sac outlet, it's reusable and replaces the things it removes with small tokens, which aren't a problem at all. Such an awesome card.

Archon of Emeria & Angel of Destiny are also options for Alesha, but they aren't 100%. Archon might draw too much ire from my playgroup & if Angel is more than ~$5, it probably won't be worth it.

I was really hoping some of the party cards would be playable as Alesha is a Warrior, but none of them stand out to me.

Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca:

Glasspool Mystic // Glasspool Shore is nice as a replacement for a land.

Thieving Skydiver has potential, but I am not in an artifact-heavy meta and don't have any open spots, so I'll probably decide against grabbing it.

Merfolk Windrobber is a solid option for a more combat-focused approach, but not my specific version.

Ezuri, Renegade Leader:

Tajuru Paragon is interesting, but likely not worth it.

Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary interests me. Seems like the perfect split card.

For all of them:

The fliplands are cool but not necessary for any of my decks, so I'll see how their price settles.

The mythic fliplands are cool (looking at the green one for Ezuri the most), as there is very little reason to not include them, but I doubt their prices will fall low enough to justify purchasing them.

I would love to hear everybody's opinions on the cards I listed I'm on the fence about & tell me if there's any that stand out to you that I missed!

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks

BudgetishEDH

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:16:40 pm »
I have a Geth deck that revolves around artifacts which is getting

Relic Golem
Mind Carver

As well as Whispersteel Dagger from the Commander decks.