deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: The Health of Standard.  (Leído 432 veces)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
The Health of Standard.
« en: Octubre 26, 2020, 08:02:49 pm »
So, I thought I would create a new topic, instead of using another thread that overlaps two subjects.

Basically, I wanted to know what you guys thought about standard now that the ban list has been updated.

Think there is any hope for Standard, as a format? Especially, when R&D keeps making costly mistakes for players?
It is not just about the card being banned, and therefore, being unplayable in competitive MTG at your LGS, it is the huge cost benefit of the investment. (Arena less so - Wild Cards)
How many people spent $35x4 to buy Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath? Omnath, Locus of creation was trending at $18+ before it was banned. The list goes on.

I don't think I've seen standard this bad since Kaladesh introduced the energy mechanic (Attune with Aether) and vehicles (Smuggler's Copter). Even then, it took a while for them to ban half the cards that had been causing them problems in the meta. (Aetherworks Marvel)

Wizards were always hesitant when it came to welding the ban hammer on cards, but now, they seem to be extremely liberal with it.

I wasn't really concerned with the power level of Omnath, Locus of Creation. Sure it is a 4/4 with an ETB trigger (draw a card) and a triggered ability (land - gain 4 life) but it is a mythic and 4 colours. True there were lots of ways to 'fix' mana but it still seems hard to get out, not to mention trigger multiple landfall triggers with it.

I think Wizards believed that it would be played in Commander/Brawl more than it would in Standard, especially with its 4 colour mana cost.
When I look at a format I look for certain things:
  • Removal options
  • Cost efficient creatures & creatures resistant to removal
  • Cost efficient card draw
  • Card synergy - landfall/counters/anthem effects, etc...

I think Omnath did so well in the meta because the removal seems to be lacking... to put it mildly. True there are cards like, Bloodchief's Thirst, Eat to Extinction, Hagra Mauling, Spikefield Hazard... But if you look they are not very effective, or efficient. Comparing it to previous cards like: Fatal Push, Murder, Cast Down, Abrade, Lightning Strike, Settle the Wreckage... The power level seems to have dropped off.

As you can see from the current deck lists, a lot of the newer decks are taking advantage of this with, Mono Green/ Red Deck Wins, creature heavy decks, which would have been limited due to Omnath's gain 4 life. Was it due to Omnath, Locus of Creation, or was this due to the format not having the appropriate removal to deal with it?

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!