deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic, Too many cards  (Read 382 times)

billathekilla

• Decks
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic, Too many cards
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:51:02 pm »
Hi, Everyone,

I just created this Oloro  EDH deck to play with my friends, but it's one of the first decks I've made from near scratch i'm having difficulty cutting down the card list to 100.  If anyone could help me cut some cards or has some suggestions  for others that'd be great.

Side note. I did cut enough cards to play last night, but I seemed to have cut the wrong ones. In the two games I played I had trouble getting enough creatures out and keep getting swung at face. I ended up with like 5 enchantments on the battlefield and only like 3 creatures the whole game.

Thanks for any Help!  ;D

Decklist:
http://deck.tk/5vyy3WbN

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic, Too many cards
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
You definitely need more lands than 35. Oloro is a really good card engine that you will have access to every game, so having more lands than you need isn't a problem. I suggest getting up to 38 minimum.

Running through cards I'm not the biggest fan of: Abandon Hope, Cruel Tutor, Tymna the Weaver, Tithe, Light of Promise, Vile Consumption, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Obzedat, Ghost Council, Linden, the Steadfast Queen, Evil Twin, Witch of the Moors, Fountain Watch, and Healer's Hawk. If you want to know why I dislike certain cards, just tell me which ones and I'll be more than happy to give a more in-depth explanation.

You stated that you had problems defending yourself (being outnumbered creature-wise), so here are some cards that can help with that: Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, Sphere of Safety, Collective Restraint, and Norn's Annex. I don't recommend including all of them, but picking 1 or 2 to include could definitely help.

Hope this helps!

billathekilla

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:18:07 pm »
Thank you for your help. I made the cuts you suggested and added some "pillow forting" as well.  I think I'm gonna proxy these and run them a little and see how it goes.
Thanks for you help!

New Deck Link:
http://deck.tk/5vyy3WbN

JitsApePDX

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 07:41:56 am »
I don't know if the exile clause on Return to Dust is important in your meta. If it's not, perhaps Heliod's Intervention would be a solid replacement? I feel like I don't hear enough about it as a solid, mono-white, disenchant effect. Plus, with Oloro, the lifegain mode has got to have a place at times as well.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 12:31:22 pm »
Some suggestions that are up to you:
Teferi's Ageless Insight
Sydri, Galvanic Genius - this one is an instant win combo with Aetherflux Reservoir if you have more than 50 life.

Almost strictly better replacements:
Render Silent -> Dovin's Veto, Swan Song
Phyrexian Arena -> Painful Truths, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones

In general I would add some generic draw spells, especially ones that give you cards now instead of slowly and later in the game. Oloro is already a good engine but a slow one at that. Youv'e got some really expensive cards in there so I'm assuming you're playing at a higher power level where cards like Phyrexian Arena are just too slow. Remember: it takes three turns to gain as many cards with Phyrexian Arena as it does with Painful Truths. You've got 11 card advantage spells almost all of which are slow - you may want to consider replacing them with more powerful burst draw.

Finally I'm going to gift you my Generic Esper list that includes some of the better cards for Esper in general. Pick your weapons.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1730357-every-esper-edh-deck-ever
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/