deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Auteur Sujet: Volrath, the Shapestealer - Comments  (Lu 236 fois)

Comment Bot

• Invité
Volrath, the Shapestealer - Comments
« le: Novembre 09, 2020, 08:06:23 am »
Volrath, the Shapestealer

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Okagachi

• Decks
Re: Volrath, the Shapestealer - Comments
« Réponse #1 le: Novembre 09, 2020, 08:06:23 am »
What about all those Amonkhet cards that have a great cost to p/t ratio but come in with -1/-1 counters (e.g. Channeler Initiate, Soulstinger, Decimator Beetle, etc.; most of them are in colour)? Volrath can take advantage of their p/t 'cos he doesn't copy the counter, while still keeping their generally helpful abilities.

Megamite

• Decks
« Réponse #2 le: Novembre 09, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »
Volrath wouldn't benefit from their stats. Mostly because he doesn't copy them anyway, and a bit because he's bigger than almost all of the creatures in question. See for yourself: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=-oracle%3A%2B1+%28oracle%3Aenters+oracle%3Athe+oracle%3Abattlefield+oracle%3A1+oracle%3Acounter%29+type%3Acreature+commander%3AUBG

You are correct about having useful abilities to copy however. Baleful Ammit gives Lifelink, Carnifex Demon flying and a strong activated ability, Deity of Scars trample and one shot renegerates, Sturdy Hatchling Shroud for 1 mana, and Wickerbough Elder a repeatable Disenchant.

Demon, Hatchling, and Elder seem like the best versions of those effects. Paying 2 mana to become Hatchling and gain Shroud for a turn is a big game, a Disenchant engine is strong removal, and finally; if you have Volrath become a copy of Carnifex Demon, you can pay as much black mana as you have every turn to spread negative counters to everything except those two creatures.

Okagachi

• Decks
« Réponse #3 le: Novembre 10, 2020, 08:17:27 am »
*Facepalm at self* He doesn't, does he? I just saw 'copy' and didn't look back. Sorry  :P
Nice to know that the comment wasn't total garbage, even if none of the good creatures actually came from Amonkhet. (I agree with your choices by the way, don't mean to sound bitter.)
In an an attempt to preserve some dignity, I'll point out that Volrath doesn't actually demand a -1/-1 counter specifically (I think... my track record at reading the card isn't great); Isareth the Awakener was the first to spring to my mind, but Heroes' Bane could be very scary indeed, and I believe copying Grimgrin, Corpse-Born lets Volrath untap normally, still zap enemies on the attack, have psuedo-vigilance and buff himself. Also, while The Mimeoplasm is generally used as the commander rather than a supporter, it puts counters on itself, is in colour, generally strong and lets Volrath copy a nice critter that died before you wanted it to.