deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What Other Games do we Play  (Read 6414 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
What Other Games do we Play
« on: November 10, 2020, 07:50:58 pm »
I'm kinda curious what non-Magic games we are playing right now, so tell me! They can be video games, other card games (I will judge if you play Yu-Gi-Ew or Suckémon, so be aware), or even board games.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: What Other Games do we Play
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:54:47 pm »
Right now, it's just me and my wife at home.  We're not getting together with people for gaming.  Taking Covid precautions is a lot of extra work.  So there isn't much time for gaming for the two of us right now.

BUT ...

... Once we are on the other side of this pandemic, most likely due to widespread vaccinations, we are planning to host a "We've had our shots Game Day". 

My mother-in-law likes to play Mexican Train dominoes.  So we'll have that going on.
My dad likes to play card games like Uno, Hearts, and Shanghai.  We will probably also have some Rage and Clubs going on.
My nephew like board games.  So we will likely have Khet and/or Ticket to Ride going.
There may also be one or two versions of Fluxx going on.
And, of course, most of my friends like to play Magic.  So if there's enough of us, we'll likely get in some Commander.
Happy Brewing!
:)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:56 pm »
They can be video games, other card games (I will judge if you play Yu-Gi-Ew or Suckémon, so be aware), or even board games.
Right now, it's just me and my wife at home.  We're not getting together with people for gaming.  Taking Covid precautions is a lot of extra work.  So there isn't much time for gaming for the two of us right now.
I'm guessing you aren't interested in video games? The way you worded that makes it seem like all of the types of games I mentioned wouldn't be a good idea in a Covid world (except of course for the games you listed your immediate family would be playing), but video games are obviously built to negate the problems Covid pose.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 10:44:58 pm »
I'm guessing you aren't interested in video games? The way you worded that makes it seem like all of the types of games I mentioned wouldn't be a good idea in a Covid world (except of course for the games you listed your immediate family would be playing), but video games are obviously built to negate the problems Covid pose.

They are quite decent options.  This is just my personal situation.  I'm not big into video gaming.  I have always preferred a more personal interaction.  I have an Xbox 360.  Still have a Wii.  But, as I mentioned, not much time for that currently.

Looking forward to when I can get together with family and friends for gaming again.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:08:04 pm »
I play a lot of sandbox. I play Minecraft, Cities: Skylines, Kerbal Space Program. Used to play a bit of Skyrim (like thousands of hours, modded to Oblivion) and Old School Runescape but haven't played those in a while. I really like Magic, it's one of my main hobbies. I like thinking about cards, interactions and such. My other main hobby is Legos. Haven't had much time to build lately but I will definitely spread that stuff all over the floor given the chance. I like collecting Star Wars Legos in particular.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 11:25:02 pm »
The other night, my wife and I spent about 3 hours playing "carrot in a box".

Those of you familiar with British T.V. might be familiar with it. The premise is this:

- Two players, each with a box. Inside one of the boxes is a carrot.
- Player 1 starts and gets to look in their box. They then decide if they would like to swap boxes with player 2.
- Player 2 then gets to make the same decision WITHOUT LOOKING IN THE BOX. They have to decide if player 1 was bluffing or not.
- Then, the game is over. The boxes are opened and the winner is revealed.

It's incredibly simple, but hilarious. Search "8 out of 10 cats carrot in a box" on Youtube for the games origin (8 out of 10 cats is the name of a British panel show). It's very funny.

My son is old enough now that we've been teaching him some classic games. Monopoly, Charades, Draughts, Chess. We're a big board game family.

Don't get much time for video games these days, but I usually like big single player RPGs like Skyrim, GTA, Red Dead etc. Got a switch a few months back and have been playing the ever loving heck out of Caveblazers. Superb little indie game.

A few years back I hand made my own Game of Thrones themed card game. It was a bit like Star Wars Destiny. Spent literally hundreds of hours doing all the art, creating rules, my buddies and I play tested it pretty extensively over several months. Still got it tucked away in a drawer somewhere. Ended up being pretty fun.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Necromunda starter kit too. Seems like a real fun table top game to me. Used to play 40K as a kid but I Necromunda seems like it has more lore and personality.

Magic is still the game I play the most though, and it's not even close.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:48:45 pm »
I play a lot of sandbox. I play Minecraft, Cities: Skylines, Kerbal Space Program. Used to play a bit of Skyrim (like thousands of hours, modded to Oblivion) and Old School Runescape but haven't played those in a while. I really like Magic, it's one of my main hobbies. I like thinking about cards, interactions and such. My other main hobby is Legos. Haven't had much time to build lately but I will definitely spread that stuff all over the floor given the chance. I like collecting Star Wars Legos in particular.
I actually used to buy a lot of Legos, but I started realizing just how expensive they were and how much money I could spend on a much more worthwhile hobby, like Magic. Now they are just really good decoration. I'll play Minecraft on occasion, but I've started playing Civilization more mainly b/c it feels a lot more structured and relaxed than Minecraft. Obviously, though, great game.

The other night, my wife and I spent about 3 hours playing "carrot in a box".

Those of you familiar with British T.V. might be familiar with it. The premise is this:

- Two players, each with a box. Inside one of the boxes is a carrot.
- Player 1 starts and gets to look in their box. They then decide if they would like to swap boxes with player 2.
- Player 2 then gets to make the same decision WITHOUT LOOKING IN THE BOX. They have to decide if player 1 was bluffing or not.
- Then, the game is over. The boxes are opened and the winner is revealed.

It's incredibly simple, but hilarious. Search "8 out of 10 cats carrot in a box" on Youtube for the games origin (8 out of 10 cats is the name of a British panel show). It's very funny.

My son is old enough now that we've been teaching him some classic games. Monopoly, Charades, Draughts, Chess. We're a big board game family.

Don't get much time for video games these days, but I usually like big single player RPGs like Skyrim, GTA, Red Dead etc. Got a switch a few months back and have been playing the ever loving heck out of Caveblazers. Superb little indie game.

A few years back I hand made my own Game of Thrones themed card game. It was a bit like Star Wars Destiny. Spent literally hundreds of hours doing all the art, creating rules, my buddies and I play tested it pretty extensively over several months. Still got it tucked away in a drawer somewhere. Ended up being pretty fun.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Necromunda starter kit too. Seems like a real fun table top game to me. Used to play 40K as a kid but I Necromunda seems like it has more lore and personality.
Carrot in a box sounds actually hilarious. Good practice for bluffing counterspells/removal amiright?

Man, I wish my family/friends liked Monopoly. All the irl people I know just hate Monopoly, Risk, etc. and we almost never play them.

Magic is still the game I play the most though, and it's not even close.
I really like Magic, it's one of my main hobbies.
I'm sensing a theme here.  ???

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:41 pm »
And now I'm going to continue that theme. Magic has been my primary hobby for years now. Aside from that I'm an avid D&D player. I'm also a really good Catan player. Of the many games I have played, I've only ever lost one time. I've yet to play with any expansions (other than the 5 to 6 player one) so that would be a nice way to spice things up. Unfortunately, all of those hobbies have been put on hold for a while.

Like many of the people who also peruse this site, I play Minecraft. Fun fact: without fail, every single house I've ever made has somehow incorporated lava into it's design. I've done lavafalls, lava floor, lava traps, and "siege mode" where the space outside the house gets flooded with lava. I just started a realm with my roommates, so now I gotta think of what to do this time.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 01:39:58 am »
I'm also a really good Catan player. Of the many games I have played, I've only ever lost one time.
I really like Catan, too, it's probably one of the few long, strategy-based board games I can find people to play with irl. I can't claim any amount of success with it though. rip

I just started a realm with my roommates, so now I gotta think of what to do this time.
Might I be so bold as to suggest...lava?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 07:17:57 pm »
I guess I'm the oddball here. My other gaming interests are pretty limited to video games (COD's, sports games, and sandbox games like GTA and Red Dead Redemption). I do play board games or card games with my kids sometimes but it's mostly stuff like Cards Against Humanity or Uno.

I probably would play more board games if I had more people to play with but none of my friends are really into them. I've suggested us trying some but not with much success.
This space for rent.

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:10:44 pm »
I play a lot of warhamer 40k. I also like to play catan and risk and games like that.

ekans_

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:31 pm »
I actually used to play videogames pretty reguarly, but in the last few months life was pretty busy so I didn't really have time for that.

When I play, I like to play FPS games like CS:GO and Hell Let Loose. When I'm in the mood to have all my hours of efford destroyed in a few minutes I like to play Rimworld. Otherwise I play a boardgame called Eldritch Horror with my family. It's based on the Lovecraftian Horror Stories and pretty fun and frustrating ;D
Sometimes I happen to play MtGA, but I didn't really spend money on that, so I don't really have the cards for fun decks.

Of course I also play MtG with my friends each Friday, when the pandemic here in Berlin allows it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:26:23 pm by Laboratory Maniac »

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 04:32:16 pm »
I grew up playing YuGiOh!, and when it turned into FTK: the Game, I switched to Cardfight!! Vanguard.  I haven't bought any Magic cards yet (although I've proxied a fair amount), but I will once I settle on something to keep me busy for a while.

EDIT: I never liked Pokemon either.  Even when I was young enough to play it seemed too simple.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:42:02 pm by jlutzxinc »

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 05:52:21 pm »
Most of my recent video game time has been devoted to World of Warcraft with the new Shadowlands expansion just dropping.

Other than that I play Diablo 3 whenever a new season opens.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 12:59:39 pm »
Honestly (and maybe sadly!), besides Magic there are not many irl games card, tabletop or board games I play.

As for videogames I play much PUBG (I know, I know... but I just can't get myself to get into a new battle royal ::) ), occasionally Minecraft, Star Trek Armada or randomized Zelda - A link to the past roms. Mostly stuff that can be played while bingewatching netflix, twitch or youtube. Oh and I just started to give Dark Souls on the Switch a try, due to the lack of games I would want to play in handheld mode.

To do some advertising for everyone who likes the winter, snow, christmas and the flair of whole season: try out Marvin's Mittens on steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333260/Marvins_Mittens/

It's like a ritual for me to play it on 100% before christmas every year to get into the right mood. It's a beautiful 2D jump'n run where you can't die or lose and can fully concentrate on the wonderful scenerie.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:02:04 pm by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.