deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Modern (+KHM) Vehicle Beatdown - Suggestions?  (Read 383 times)

ekans_

• Decks
Modern (+KHM) Vehicle Beatdown - Suggestions?
« on: January 18, 2021, 12:39:44 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/160540/1896039-vehicle-aggro

Before Kaldheim, it required a lot of resources (resulting in tempo-loss) to crew a large vehicle, unless you had a Siege Modification or Peacewalker Colossus. As both of them are at 3 mana (Peacewalker Colossus actually at 5 mana, as it's ability costs an additional 2 mana), it was hard getting a fast curve with Consulate Dreadnought. Also, two (arguably) good game-pieces to crew your stuff is not enough, and the rest was just bad.

But now we got better stuff: Giant Ox and Armed and Armored now made it possible to swing for seven one turn earlier. Which was the reason I wanted to built a deck like this.

This is the build I now came up with. Do you have any suggestions or critics? I would appreciate them.

Here is the link for the spoiler of Giant Ox, as it's not yet registered on here: http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/giant-ox/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:54:04 pm by ekans_ »

Federico Rosano

• Decks
Re: Modern (+KHM) Vehicle Beatdown - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:59:25 pm »
Looks like you collected some beaters! I love vehicles and your deck looks awesome!
Ok, let's think about them. The main benefit of vehicles is that they aren't creatures, so their power/toughness to cmc ratio is quite high compared to regular creatures and they have a clear advantage in combat in the early stages of the game. The disadvantage of them is that you need to tap additional creatures to let them attack/block. And this is a problem.
Siege Modification and Armed and Armored can be a very powerful tool, but rely on them to attack basically increase massively the effective casting cost of your vehicles.
I really like the choice of cards you came up with. The Ox is amazing. Path to Exile and Lightning Bolt look out of place here, but hey, they're good removals!

Here's my current cheap build with vehicles and dwarfs:
https://deckstats.net/decks/88072/1298278-vehicles

Depala, Pilot Exemplar and Heart of Kiran are an absolute blast in this deck. Built to Last add some protection to my vehicles and To Arms! increase the defense side of the deck.
I hope I gave my help. Have fun!

ekans_

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 07:56:07 pm »
Path to Exile and Lightning Bolt look out of place here, but hey, they're good removals!

Yeah I mainly run them, because it really hurts when the opponent has blockers, when playing this deck. I want to make every attack count, and as I don't have much trample going on I have no other choice than just clearing the path with extra spells.

I am not sure about Path to Exile, because it ramps my opponent, but I want to be able to kill bigger creatures, too.

Siege Modification and Armed and Armored can be a very powerful tool, but rely on them to attack basically increase massively the effective casting cost of your vehicles.

You're right but I feel like creatures have the same effect on the deck. Am I wrong about that? Well yeah, you can block with leftover creatures, but I don't feel like this is a huge deal. Also I just like my choices, as most of them don't have summoning sickness to deal with. I also wondered, but you can't actually crew with summoning sick creatures, which makes creatures much worse for that matter, I think.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will think about them ^^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:01:25 pm by ekans_ »

Federico Rosano

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 08:13:43 pm »
While Siege Modification has a permanent effect on the board and can be used multiple times in a game, Armed and Armored activates only once, probably waiting for the final beat. Like other finishers (Overrun and Temur Battle Rage to say a couple), it's an easy target to counterspells or Fog-like cards (who named Batwing Brume?). Instead, by relay on other permanents to attack and defend is a safer strategy that pays on the longer run. Veteran Motorist is probably the best example here and it fits the strategy absolutely perfectly.

As a removal I'm using Caught in the Brights. Ok, it's a bad card, but suits the theme very well and it's cheap af.

I also wondered, but you can't actually crew with summoning sick creatures, which makes creatures much worse for that matter, I think.
You can actually crew with summoning sick creatures. The crew effect says: "Tap any number of creatures you control". So it's the vehicle effect that taps your creatures, not the creatures themselvs that decide to tap. Exactly like the effect of Dispatch.
So you can cast at turn 2 the Heart of Kiran, then at turn 3 cast the Veteran Motorist and tap the Veteran with the crew ability and attack with the Heart.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:20:51 pm by Federico Rosano »

ekans_

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:37:09 pm »
You can actually crew with summoning sick creatures.

Oops, didn't know that. I guess the forums I looked it up were wrong. I guess I should use the rulebook next time.