deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I am going to be building a deck and wanted to ask options on some cards  (Read 733 times)

DJShadow

• Decks
My ex cat named Yin-Yang had to be put down, I'm not going to go into detail why but it hurts to talk about. I was thing of have a card made for her to be a commander in a Black & White yin yang cat deck. The problem is I don't know if I can even have a card made or if I can what to give it for abilities. it doesn't need to be capable for a tier 1 but id rather it also not be trash tier either. I would love to have a conversation on this because I'm still learn deck building and I don't want my abilities of being a beginner in the world of building to make it bad.

Card in memory of Yin Yang, https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/yin-yang-never-forgotten
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:40:31 pm by DJShadow »

Slyvester12

• Decks
Sorry to hear about your cat. My older brother's cat just died, too, so I know it can be hard to lose a pet. If you want something that's tournament legal, you won't be able to make a custom card. If you just want something that's a reskin or for a casual group, there are several sites that allow you to create custom cards. If you're looking for already existing cat cards, I would look at Arahbo, Roar of the World. I'm not sure there's much support for cats in WB, but WG should have enough for a deck.

EDIT: Huh, turns out there are partner commanders who are both cats and in the colors you wanted: Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar and Prava of the Steel Legion. So, I guess you could try making a WB cat tribal deck with support for tokens?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:29:20 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

DJShadow

• Decks
thank you

Firegriff

• Decks
Lurrus of the Dream Den would be a good one...Nethroi, Apex of Death might be too macabre.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
I like the card design for Yin Yang, but feel it's a little underpowered. Perhaps making it a 2/2 and giving it bigger abilities that trigger on casting black and white spells would make it better in play and thematically. For example:

Yin Yang, Never Forgotten {1}{W}{B}
Legendary Creature - Cat

Deathtouch, Lifelink
Whenever you cast a Black spell, if Yin Yang in in the command zone or on the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Cat creature token, then each opponent loses 1 life for each Cat you control.
Whenever you cast a White spell, if Yin Yang is in the command zone or on the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Cat creature token, then you gain 1 life for each Cat you control.

2/2

I like this design more because its triggers on all Black and White spells instead of just cats, making it more powerful. On top of that, it further embodies the Yin Yang in gaining life and losing life abilities. It also opens up a couple more routes. You could head down a lifegain-synergy deck, a token synergy deck, or just your average Orzhov deck with the usual goodstuffs.

If you want to print your card, you can download it from MTG Cardsmith as a .png and print it from there. Sizing is a little fiddly, but either laser-printing it onto card-thickness cardboard or (the way that I do it) printing it onto normal of paper, gluing 2 sheets onto it, then cutting it out from there makes a passable Magic card. You've gotta be good with scissors though. Alternatively - and probably the better route - you could hire someone else to do it for you, or ask people who know how to do it properly. There are whole communities on Reddit about this stuff.

My condolences for your pet, and I hope these suggestions are useful.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:10:45 am by Potato Chop »