deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH] Meren.  (Read 335 times)

Xiri

• Decks
[EDH] Meren.
« on: April 04, 2021, 11:48:24 pm »
hey there! does anybody have an idea how to improve my deck ?
https://deckstats.net/decks/155778/1649992-golgari-meren-reanimator-arist
please no to expensive :D
thanks and have a nice day.

Landale

• Decks
Re: [EDH] Meren.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:36:32 am »
Given that you're listing a $200-300 deck, I'll assume "not too expensive" is generally <$5.
You've got a lot of things wanting things to die, but not a lot of ways to make sure they do. Evolutionary Leap, Ayara, First of Locthwain, Viscera Seer, Carrion Feeder, Smothering Abomination, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, and Bushmeat Poacher are some fairly cheap repeatable sacrifice outlets.
You've not provided much of protection for Meren, just the Fiendbonder and Bogbonder I think. Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Gift of Doom, and Mask of Avacyn are some fairly cheap options to keep her around reanimating stuff.

And since others are linking their decks to give ideas, here's my Meren deck. https://deckstats.net/decks/168446/2011213-meren-of-clan-nel-toth
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:14:14 am by Landale »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 04:14:40 am »
My list: https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1651239-meren-of-clan-nel-toth-reanima

I'll just go through each category of card.

Lands:

Your land base is pretty good, but I don't think you need so many taplands. Foul Orchard & Jungle Hollow are pretty much never worth it, and Evolving Wilds, Fabled Passage, and Desert of the Indomitable don't have any synergy here. Darkbore Pathway // Slitherbore Pathway, Llanowar Wastes, Temple of Malady, and Woodland Cemetery are some better options.

Ramp:

Your ramp suite is a little light (I only counted 4-5 cards). Meren has a lot of great options for ramp, so here are my favorites: Arcane Signet, Golgari Signet, Talisman of Dominance, and Elves of Deep Shadow are generically good Golgari ramp; Wood Elves & Devoted Druid are popular because of obvious synergies; and Blood Pet and Heart Warden are less popular but are personal favorites of mine.

Card Advantage:

You have plenty of card draw pieces, but you are lacking some key ones. Village Rites is (mostly) a better Costly Plunder. Viscera Seer is absolutely fantastic, and deserves an inclusion in pretty much every Meren deck. Midnight Reaper is similar to Grim Haruspex, but it triggers off of itself, which is more important than you may think. Smothering Abomination is fantastic because it is a pseudo-sac outlet and even draws cards off of tokens.

Removal:

Your removal is very solid. I noticed you have Caustic Caterpillar in your maybeboard, and I highly suggest you include it. It's an extremely good one drop (I personally rate it even over Acidic Slime because of how self-sufficient Caustic Caterpillar is).

Otherwise, your list seems to have a high average cmc. I suggest resorting your deck based on CMC and reconsidering whether your higher-CMC cards warrant inclusion. Ex. How necessary is In Garruk's Wake? Perhaps Massacre Wurm can do a similar job, without being 9 mana.

Let me know if you have any other questions & I hope this helped!

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
My list: https://deckstats.net/decks/149180/1755348-meren-edh-/en

The main issue with your deck is that your curve is too heavy. You need to cut many 6+ drops and add more 1 and 2 drops.
You'll find some options in my list.

Also there are some cards which are too clunky/slow: for example Altar of Dementia is much better than Nyx Weaver if you want to mill yourself, since it's also a free sac outlet.
Rune-scarred demon is too slow, you want tutors like Jarad's Orers, Fauna Shaman or Birthing Pod.
Acidic slime is also too slow, hitting lands is not worth running a 5-drop: just run Reclamation sage instead.

Also 34 lands with such a small number of ramp cards is not enough, I'd suggest at least 36-37 lands, 2-3 MDFcs (Bala ged recovery, Agadeemn's awakening, Malakir rebirth) and at least 12 ramp cards. You'll notice that I run more lands and ramp in my list despite the fact that my curve is much lighter.

I would suggest that you create custom sections, to better visualize your ramp spells, card draw etc.: you can take a look at my list if you need inspiration. This way it would be also easier for other people to give you suggestions on what to cut and what to add.

I hope this helps!

Golgari is life. And death.