deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Unmarked Grave in Budget Modern Reanimator  (Read 331 times)

ekans_

• Decks
Unmarked Grave in Budget Modern Reanimator
« on: May 21, 2021, 09:18:00 am »
Yesterday some cards were spoiled for Modern Horizons and one of them was a fixed Entomb called Unmarked Grave. It reads just as Entomb but with three major differences: It went from instant speed to sorcery speed, the mana cost went from B to 1B and it could only Entomb non-legendary creatures.

The non-legendary restriction might render this unplayable in "competetive" reanimator (for the few tier 2-3 reanimator lists played in modern) as it can't get Griselbrand and such bombs.

In my budget modern reanimator deck this is different as all my threats are non-legends anyway, but I am not sure if Unmarked Grave would add a level of clunkyness I don't want.
Normally I just draw a load of cards with Cathartic Reunion and Merchant of the Vale, find a reanimation spell with them and simultaneously I discard some dredgers, eventually milling a threat to reanimate.
These discard-and-draw spells really do everything I want at once.

So now I am asking myself: Do I even want Unmarked Graves in there and if thats true, what should I exclude for it?
Let me know if I'm talking nonsense or if I'm right to say that this might not be an automatic include.

Here's the list:
https://deckstats.net/decks/160540/1925504-rakdos-reanimator
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:25:39 am by ekans_ »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Unmarked Grave in Budget Modern Reanimator
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 10:33:38 am »
This is definitely an interesting quandry.

I guess the most important question is: How often do you find yourself without an appropriate card in your graveyard?

The looting / self mill available to this deck is obviously pretty formidable. Do you find that that is usually sufficient? By the time you have your reanimation spell ready, is there usually a strong target?

If the answer is yes, then I'd say it's probably not worth it.

Tutors are obviously powerful, but your looting effects also play well into your dredge cards and provide an engine.

How would you feel about splashing white and playing Unburial Rites? Unmarked grave being able to find you a bomb to reanimate or a reanimate spell might make it more worthwhile, but then you have to contend with reliably hitting a third splash colour.

ekans_

• Decks
Re: Unmarked Grave in Budget Modern Reanimator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 03:39:13 pm »
This is definitely an interesting quandry.

I guess the most important question is: How often do you find yourself without an appropriate card in your graveyard?

The looting / self mill available to this deck is obviously pretty formidable. Do you find that that is usually sufficient? By the time you have your reanimation spell ready, is there usually a strong target?

If the answer is yes, then I'd say it's probably not worth it.

Tutors are obviously powerful, but your looting effects also play well into your dredge cards and provide an engine.

How would you feel about splashing white and playing Unburial Rites? Unmarked grave being able to find you a bomb to reanimate or a reanimate spell might make it more worthwhile, but then you have to contend with reliably hitting a third splash colour.

I don't feel like I am confronted with not having gas in the yard too often. And even if that's the case, I am able to survive quite long until I do hit something.

I guess the upsides would now be reduced to: This is a nice toolbox card. If there's any (I didn't look) hate cards on bodies that can go for beatdown, it could be quite nice to for example get something that disables life gain, when playing against Heliod Company.
The other upside is: I can quickly recover from getting my card exiled. I got my only card in yard exiled? No worries, another one is on its way.
But I don't feel like that's worth sacrificing my looting-gameplan, as it just feels too conistent.

I also thought about including Unburial Rites, but I feel like going for 2 and a half colors would either exceed my budget or be awkward as hell with the lands I usually play (Reveal- and Checklands).

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts :D