deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tópico: Gary's Cloning Factory  (Lida 1167 vezes)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Gary's Cloning Factory
« em: Outubro 13, 2021, 02:58:25 pm »
Hello!

I'm making another jank deck. It's missing quite a lot of things like removal, counterspells and draw spells. I was wondering if the forums could help me with this! The point of this deck is to play Gray Merchant of Asphodel and keep cloning it to oblivion and then blink stuff to get my opponents to lose even more life. I'm expecting Swords to Plowshares so that's why I've included Pull from Eternity and some reanimation spells.

Here's the list:
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/2273854-gary-s-cloning-factory-sakashi

And here's my generic Esper staples list I'll be pulling stuff from in case I can't find any flavourful spells:
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1730357-every-esper-edh-deck-ever

I will be editing the list as we go. And on my own.
« Última modificação: Outubro 13, 2021, 03:09:42 pm por MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Gary's Cloning Factory
« Responder #1 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 05:13:13 pm »
I think step 1 is cutting down on the number of cards in this deck. Why do you need so much mass removal?
« Última modificação: Outubro 13, 2021, 05:16:20 pm por Morganator 2.0 »

steve1997

• Decks
« Responder #2 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 05:32:39 pm »
what exactly are you copying? for copying grey merchant of asphodel you dont need sakashima

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #3 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 06:34:55 pm »
I think step 1 is cutting down on the number of cards in this deck. Why do you need so much mass removal?
This shouldn't be a problem. I figured conditional mass removal is better than focusing on spot removal. Could cut a few cards there. Also a few clones. Currently not terribly worried about the card count. :) Just need to get the base right and I can cut and adjust the ratios after I have all the cards I need (this is how I build my decks).

what exactly are you copying? for copying grey merchant of asphodel you dont need sakashima
I am copying Grey Merchant of Asphodel. I don't need Sakashima but I need the colour blue for most of the clone effects. Black for the Merchant, white is just a coincidence but gives me access to some really good removal.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Responder #4 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 07:02:59 pm »
I think you have way too many clones to pull this off. Since you've only really got a few targets in the deck, you're gonna have a lot of dead hands without your tutors. Might consider leaning into more draw/mill to get you there; or, go with more utility creatures to bounce and copy, then hang on to a Yorion or other mass bounce/reanimate spell to get a big stack of Gary triggers all at once, otherwise I don't think you'll have the board state to pull out a win.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Responder #5 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 07:04:37 pm »
In other words you wanted to have an esper deck because those are your favorite colours. Still, Ravos is a good pick for this build.

You could also try to do stuff with Kokusho, the Evening Star as a backup to Gray Merchant.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #6 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 07:30:51 pm »
I think you have way too many clones to pull this off. Since you've only really got a few targets in the deck, you're gonna have a lot of dead hands without your tutors. Might consider leaning into more draw/mill to get you there; or, go with more utility creatures to bounce and copy, then hang on to a Yorion or other mass bounce/reanimate spell to get a big stack of Gary triggers all at once, otherwise I don't think you'll have the board state to pull out a win.
Interesting. I figured with counterspells I could hold Gary on the battlefield. Plus clones do stick around if I land one so I can just copy that copy again and again. I might need to cut like half of the clones, you're right. Probably the ones that make token copies because those can't be blinked. Then again I do want to have an insane Gary board, that would be really cool. Win by attrition. I am aware of the relatively low number of draw spells in the deck, hence me asking about it on this forum.

In other words you wanted to have an esper deck because those are your favorite colours. Still, Ravos is a good pick for this build.

You could also try to do stuff with Kokusho, the Evening Star as a backup to Gray Merchant.
Being in Esper was a bit of an accident. I'm willing to look at other commanders as well but I felt like both commanders provide a lot of value to this deck. Kokusho isn't an option because it needs to die and I don't have any ways to make it die. However... I found Skemfar Shadowsage that could act as a backup Gary. It doesn't share a creature type with Gary but if Gary gets utterly removed and out of reach then it doesn't really matter what the rest of my creatures are, right? Clones enter back as clones i.e. anything I want them to be.

EDIT: I cut all the cards that make token copies. Down to 108 cards.
« Última modificação: Outubro 13, 2021, 08:08:21 pm por MustaKotka »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Responder #7 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 09:45:34 pm »
Kokusho is a legendary creature. If you clone it you will sacrifice it as part of the legend rule, and then the death trigger goes off. So you do have ways to make it die.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #8 em: Outubro 13, 2021, 11:06:18 pm »
Kokusho is a legendary creature. If you clone it you will sacrifice it as part of the legend rule, and then the death trigger goes off. So you do have ways to make it die.
Forgot about that. You convinced me, I will add Kokusho. Quick and dirty. 109 cards.

C0BRA115

• Decks
« Responder #9 em: Outubro 15, 2021, 06:28:58 am »
First off let me just say that I don't think I've ever been more in love with a deck concept than I am with this! I was seriously just thinking about doing something with sakashima and ravos for clones so I really love that I saw this! I'm gonna break this into sections for your convenience.

Draw- If you're looking for more/better draw options, you can never go wrong with staples (assuming you don't care much about the budget). So phyrexian arena, rhystic study, mystic remora, and dark confidant are all fantastic choices. Arena and confidant both cost life but that's irrelevant if your entire strategy is gray merchant (arena life loss is minimal anyways), they also help out with devotion. Rhystic and remora are just outright good.

Clones-For clones specifically I'd recommend adding in evil twin as a more versatile option instead of maybe clone or wall of stolen identity. Wall is better if you don't ever want to attack under any circumstance, but clone is better if you want to copy something like an ulamog and just wreck havoc. Also might consider helm of the host if that's your thing but I'm not sure if it'd be better or worse than another clone creature in this deck.

Tutors-I'm not sure how many tutors you're looking to use necessarily, but here's a few more worth considering:
mystical tutor-gets better tutors, removal, or counterspells
Enlightened tutor-gets good draw enchantments like ones listed above or especially necropotence, value artifacts, or even ramp in the early game
Profane tutor-a decent 2 mana tutor but pretty annoying to have to wait to pop off
Spellseeker-great for fetching other tutors or removal, and an amazing blink or clone target for value
Diabolic intent-maybe good if you're willing to part with a creature since you have ravos but probably not great in this type of deck
There are also budget options for this category but in most cases you'd probably be better off just paying an extra mana for a mastermind's acquisition or something if you go that route.

Lands-Lands are huge for any deck so if you've got the budget for it definitely don't skimp out on them! I personally recommend the battlebond lands unless you play mostly 1v1 games (which partners are technically banned in unless I'm mistaken). Shock lands and check lands are also pretty much always good choices. Reflecting pool, exotic orchard, and maybe even path of ancestry are good choices as well. The biggest thing in my opinion though is definitely gonna be urborg, tomb of yawgmoth and cabal coffers. Love it or hate it, it's some insane mana generation when it pops off!

Bonus-I got tired of typing so here's some other good stuff to consider that didn't really fit into a category listed above but is definitely worth a look: lim-dul's vault, phyrexian reclamation, land tax, generous gift, anguished unmaking, damn, winds of abandon, counterspell, swan song, mana drain

Well anyways I don't know if this helped at all but I hope it was at least slightly beneficial to you. No idea why I decided to write all of this, but I'm glad I did. You've got an awesome idea here and I absolutely love it! Best of luck with the deck bro!

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #10 em: Outubro 15, 2021, 02:48:51 pm »
First off let me just say that I don't think I've ever been more in love with a deck concept than I am with this! I was seriously just thinking about doing something with sakashima and ravos for clones so I really love that I saw this! I'm gonna break this into sections for your convenience.

Draw- If you're looking for more/better draw options, you can never go wrong with staples (assuming you don't care much about the budget). So phyrexian arena, rhystic study, mystic remora, and dark confidant are all fantastic choices. Arena and confidant both cost life but that's irrelevant if your entire strategy is gray merchant (arena life loss is minimal anyways), they also help out with devotion. Rhystic and remora are just outright good.

Clones-For clones specifically I'd recommend adding in evil twin as a more versatile option instead of maybe clone or wall of stolen identity. Wall is better if you don't ever want to attack under any circumstance, but clone is better if you want to copy something like an ulamog and just wreck havoc. Also might consider helm of the host if that's your thing but I'm not sure if it'd be better or worse than another clone creature in this deck.

Tutors-I'm not sure how many tutors you're looking to use necessarily, but here's a few more worth considering:
mystical tutor-gets better tutors, removal, or counterspells
Enlightened tutor-gets good draw enchantments like ones listed above or especially necropotence, value artifacts, or even ramp in the early game
Profane tutor-a decent 2 mana tutor but pretty annoying to have to wait to pop off
Spellseeker-great for fetching other tutors or removal, and an amazing blink or clone target for value
Diabolic intent-maybe good if you're willing to part with a creature since you have ravos but probably not great in this type of deck
There are also budget options for this category but in most cases you'd probably be better off just paying an extra mana for a mastermind's acquisition or something if you go that route.

Lands-Lands are huge for any deck so if you've got the budget for it definitely don't skimp out on them! I personally recommend the battlebond lands unless you play mostly 1v1 games (which partners are technically banned in unless I'm mistaken). Shock lands and check lands are also pretty much always good choices. Reflecting pool, exotic orchard, and maybe even path of ancestry are good choices as well. The biggest thing in my opinion though is definitely gonna be urborg, tomb of yawgmoth and cabal coffers. Love it or hate it, it's some insane mana generation when it pops off!

Bonus-I got tired of typing so here's some other good stuff to consider that didn't really fit into a category listed above but is definitely worth a look: lim-dul's vault, phyrexian reclamation, land tax, generous gift, anguished unmaking, damn, winds of abandon, counterspell, swan song, mana drain

Well anyways I don't know if this helped at all but I hope it was at least slightly beneficial to you. No idea why I decided to write all of this, but I'm glad I did. You've got an awesome idea here and I absolutely love it! Best of luck with the deck bro!
I'm usually against Phyrexian Arena. And Bob. But especially Arena provides me with some of that sweet, sweet devotion so it makes sense even if I don't draw cards off of it.

Evil Twin is a good addition. Doubles as removal.

Mystical Tutor and Solve the Equation are probably going in since those find Demonic Tutor (Gary) and they find Rite of Replication.

When it comes to lands the mana base is currently optimised to support Eldrazi Displacer, nothing else. I should probably go with Shocks and Fetches.

Lim-Dul's Vault is an all time favourite of mine. It's even on my staples list, why did I not include it?

EDIT: Decided on the final cuts. Thank you all for the help!
« Última modificação: Outubro 15, 2021, 05:13:50 pm por MustaKotka »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Responder #11 em: Outubro 15, 2021, 05:34:13 pm »
Hey so... Slight issue... I count about 12 black symbols among permanents you control.

How many clones will it take for you to wipe the table?

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #12 em: Outubro 15, 2021, 10:17:33 pm »
Hey so... Slight issue... I count about 12 black symbols among permanents you control.

How many clones will it take for you to wipe the table?
Each clone should provide 2 + whatever I can blink. I played two test games with the deck and it can definitely reach the ~10 devotion easily.

Nils

• Decks
« Responder #13 em: Outubro 18, 2021, 09:33:03 pm »
Your deck was selected as our deckstats.net deck of the week this week. Congratulations!
Please contact the user “admin” or email [email protected] if you have any questions about Deckstats!