deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Auteur Sujet: The Fear of Missing Out  (Lu 3100 fois)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
The Fear of Missing Out
« le: Février 23, 2022, 07:19:19 pm »
This has been brought up a few times on the site, but we've yet to have a proper discussion about it. So let's do that, it's important.

The fear of missing out, often abbreviated to FOMO, is the idea that if you miss out on something, it's going to suck for you later. Did you buy a Smothering Tithe when it was $10? No? Well now it's $40. Did you buy the Gavi, Nest Warden precon to get that sweet Fierce Guardianship? Well now that card is worth more than what the deck used to sell for. Boseiju, Who Endures is the chase card of Neon Dynasty. Chase cards are usually at their lowest a few weeks after release, and then they do nothing but go up. So right now. Are you going to miss out on this?

The FOMO is something that Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro are well aware of, and they're willing to exploit it. It started off with stuff like the unique buy-a-box promos (Nexus of Fate, Kenrith, the Returned King), but it's gotten steadily worse. The Secret Lairs are an excellent example. You have a limited window to order your package. If you don't buy it NOW direct from Wizards, you're going to have to buy it later from a scalper. The Universes Beyond product takes this a step further. These cards won't be reprinted (technically they're in The List, but don't count on finding one) so those Secret Lairs become the only way to get these cards. You want these cards? BUY NOW!

Giving in to impulse is almost always a bad idea, so in general, you should fight against your fears of missing out. Don't just buy because you know that now is the best time. Ask yourself if you really need these cards. It's also a good idea to set aside a budget for how much you're willing to spend. This does mean you'll miss out on a lot of things and you won't get a Boseiju for every one of your green decks, but you'll have more money to spend on things you really care about.

So that's my take on it, so now it's time to discuss. Have you caught yourself impulse buying a product? What do you do to stop yourself from giving in to the FOMO?

Landale

• Decks
Re: The Fear of Missing Out
« Réponse #1 le: Février 23, 2022, 08:21:58 pm »
What do you do to stop yourself from giving in to the FOMO?
Basically, I just remind myself I have very little money. I won't spend more than $10 a card, and honestly I don't need to because I'm not aiming for maximum possible power. I don't need to spend $50+ on the Onslaught/Zendikar fetch lands, the Mirage ones or Terramorphic Expanse work just fine for a fraction of the cost. I don't need Fierce Guardianship, Force of Will, or Force of Negation, when Foil or Thwart work just fine as a conditionally free counter. Boseiju, Who Endures is nice, but $30 and rising to save a slot and mana on a Reclaiming Vines sort of effect isn't worth it to me. Smothering Tithe? Well I almost never run white without green anyway so who cares? If I really need some white ramp, Monologue Tax and Archaeomancer's Map work well enough, admittedly just outside the range now as singles but it's not too hard to find the deck still for ~$30 so going that route they're functionally ~$.30.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Réponse #2 le: Février 23, 2022, 10:14:43 pm »
For me, I just have to ask myself "is this going to mean my friends and I have more fun?" and the answer is always "no".

Fancy arts and high power isn't what we care about. We're having fun hanging out, and magic happens to be a way we all like to have fun, but we're just as happy playing other games, watching films, shooting the shit etc. Some of our best game nights have been drafting shit decks out of bulk boxes we bought cheap off ebay.

It's about the gathering, and no amount of secret lairs will ever change that.

Although for the record, if they did a secret lair that had Trading Post but with the old, wordy templating like they did with those planeswalkers, I'd buy 4.

"Pay 1, tap trading post and either discard a card to gain 4 life; or pay 1 life create a goat token (treat that goat as a 0/1 white creature); or bury one of your creatures to return an artifact from your graveyard to your hand; or bury one of your artifacts to draw a card" all in the old brown frame.

That'd be enough to get me to take the plunge. But that's what these kinds of things are good for. Special versions of cards you love, once in a blue moon, as a treat.
« Modifié: Février 23, 2022, 10:17:54 pm par CleanBelwas »

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Réponse #3 le: Février 24, 2022, 11:17:20 am »
I was thinking about this yesterday, and I am aware of the fact that (unfortunately) I often give in to the FOMO.
That is not to say, however, that I think of myself as an irresponsible or compulsive buyer of MTG product.

First of all, I almost never by sealed, but only buy singles. I also keep a spreadsheet where I take note of all that I spend every month in MTG cards and all that I gain by selling them. This helps me realize when I'm spending too much. I also usually avoid buying cards that cost more than 20€ unless I'm spending money that I gained by selling cards.

Sometimes, I like to play the finance game a bit: I'll buy some cards that I think will increase in price and try to resell them when they do. It doesn't always work, of course, but I was able to make some nice bargains. I never invest too much in this, however, since it'a risky game.

I have 12 commander decks (plus a precon that I keep unchanged to play with other precon-level decks), and I love to constantly tweak them and upgrade them. Thus, I am constantly buying new cards to try them out in my decks. Sometimes, I end up buying them and not actually trying them out at all.

I also love to brew new decks, and sometimes it's hard to suppress the urge to buy all the cards for that new deck idea I have in mind.

The example that Morgan made about Boseiju really resonates with me. Sometimes, I'll see that a card is selling for a low price on Cardmarket and I'll think "This price is great, I have to get this!". However, I don't always actually need these cards. I just think "It's a good card, I'm gonna play it in some deck someday". Just recently, I bought an Otawara, Soaring City for a price that seemed very reasonable, and I'm definitely slotting it in some deck, but did I actually need it? Of course not. The upgrade will probably be minimal, and I don't even have a specific deck in mind for it at the moment.

So overall, I recognize that I often fall victim to FOMO, and I try my best to counteract this unhealthy behavior by keeping track of how much I spend on MTG every month. However, I feel that I am currently spending too much and making too many impulsive buys, so I want to work on myself to try and do this less.

... This ended up being similar to an alcoholics anonymous session  ;D
Golgari is life. And death.

Kelly

• Decks
« Réponse #4 le: Février 24, 2022, 06:13:01 pm »
Great topic!  Bit of a devil's advocate view here.  Firstly, I'll acknowledge that Wizards does a great job at fomenting FOMO and it feels good to acquire, so I accept a certain budget as guilt-free, but getting the most I can from that requires setting personal goals and having discipline so I don't just spend because something is there.   Making wise choices turns looking at a purchase into a trophy instead of an object of remorse.  It's not always easy, WotC know us well, because for the most part, they are us, but also Hasbro will dump so much in front of us.  I believe many of us have grown savvy over the years in recognizing value and spending accordingly (MH2 vs Double Feature anyone?) but holding your line comes down to having goals, knowing when to spend, when to save and honoring that.

For me, I started buying boxes in the Urza's block when I had little disposable income to do so and often felt like I had mis-prioritized my spending.  I sold a lot (but luckily not all) of my cards to wash away some guilt and stepped away, but more than 20 years later, in 2020, rediscovered the hobby with my sons and wanted to share it with them. With the value of some of my older cards now apparent, I looked at MTG in a new light. 

Firstly, I realized that MTG had become a playable investment, but not all of it investible.  The cards I did save inspired me to think of it this way as a means to justify adding to it - wisely this time.  I've learned new card value tanks after release of each new set, but older cards that are made more relevant by those cards may spike, especially if they are scarce.  The few staples to emerge from a new set will hold and rise, but with no more reserved list, they WILL be reprinted and WILL drop in value.  Thus, I fill a cart with new singles the week of a set release with everything I think we might use that's under $2 to accent our card library while the risk is lowest, skipping the Bosieju's and Meathook Massacre's as we are not competitive players (who is these days?).  Those can be had eventually once out of standard, reprinted and low-priced. 

Then, any money I might have spent on an over-priced new single, I'll spend on a reserved list card I want on a dip, out of the limelight. $50 on a Helm of Obedience right now for example vs a Bosieju while I can.   MTG FOMO for me thus comes with the spikes and dips of the reserved list.  If I overspend now (especially on new cards), I might miss a better opportunity to buy something more investible later, but then if I don't buy - maybe that WAS the opportunity.  Also, if a sealed set goes low enough, I sometimes add a sealed box to the shelf as well.

So, I'm still spending and still subject to FOMO, but I feel like I am avoiding consumer pitfalls and building an appreciating asset my sons will inherit long after the years we've spent playing it are gone.   I have a plan for this accepted expenditure now, I stick to it and I can look at our collection with pride instead of remorse.
« Modifié: Février 24, 2022, 06:21:51 pm par Kelly »

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Réponse #5 le: Février 24, 2022, 07:17:33 pm »
I'm not going to lie, I know it's popular to complain about the oversaturation these days, but the flooded market has been the biggest reducer of my FOMO. Back in 2018, it was still easy to look at a set or a whole block and go, "I want it all." Now, lots of things aren't even on my radar. Keeping up becomes more work than it's worth, and I find myself gravitating more towards the fun of underpowered stuff that provides variance in play. It feels reminiscent of getting together with friends to play setback or crazy eights. It's the same game, with the same deck, every time, but the enjoyment never wavers. I agree with Belwas in their questioning of whether a purchase will mean the group has more fun. It's become my main benchmark to buying cards.

That being said, sometimes you gotta crack and smell some packs, amiright?

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Réponse #6 le: Février 24, 2022, 10:05:27 pm »
I don't really feel it but I understand how it can affect majority of people. I do agree that it is a major d!ck move to exploit people like that by WotC, BUT in the end, you are the boss of your money, don't give in if you don't have to. With that being said, if I need a card, I will get it - doesn't matter if it's cheap or not. But in the end there is ALWAYS good/more cards to get so I don't really let it bother me much. I am in no hurry - I can always lend a certain card or if I really need it - I will buy it. cardmarket.com is fast and secure.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Réponse #7 le: Février 25, 2022, 03:15:37 pm »
If I miss out on something I normally move on with life. Having this or that doesn't bother me. I haven't bought a single Secret Lair yet and honestly I don't plan on it anytime soon. I just don't worry about the hype and chase for certain cards. Yes if opportunity presents itself like a local retail store having a pre-con with certain chase cards I may buy it depending on if I think I can afford it. I will buy packs here and there or got to a pre-release. I'll create a deck with a budget in mind, buy the singles for it and that is about it.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Réponse #8 le: Février 25, 2022, 04:33:45 pm »
I've managed to teach myself not to buy all the good cards "when they're still cheap". Instead I buy cards whenever I feel like I need one and with new cards I try to hit the low point or at least close to it. Reprints obviously push the value down - sometimes dramatically - so I don't think my collection has risen in value substantially. There are a couple of RL cards that have gone up percentually significantly but not by much in absolute value. Going from 5€ to 15€ sounds like a lot (+200%) but it's not going to pay my rent.

For example once Boseiju was spoiled I contemplated whether I should buy it or not because I saw potential in that card. It has gone up by 50% since then but I don't regret my decision. I don't really need the card for any deck right now. Instead I bought two Otawaras because I need those for my decks. I made sure to wait for a while and indeed it dropped by ~20% so I saved a couple of Euros there. No doubt it'll still go down a bit but after a few weeks or a month or two I'm suspecting it'll go up again because it's also a good card. It's not going to be the next Urza's Saga (Boseiju will be in my opinion) but it doesn't have to be. I got it for what I think is a reasonable price and I'm happy with it.

Another example is Volrath's Stronghold that I bought when its price had gone up some and it kept climbing. Now after the coronaboom it has gone back down to the price it was when I bought it. So not a good investment but I wanted the card so I got it for myself. Since it's on the RL and in good condition I can always sell it for some cash.

I also own cards that are not on the RL but still command a high price. Mana Crypt and Force of Will come to mind. If they get reprinted soon then tough luck for me. I don't stress about it. As long as I can pay my rent, eat food and play fun games I'm fine for now. The Force of Will is actually a very recent purchase but I got to play some games with it and it's great in my draw deck because it can afford to throw away cards. It makes me 80€ happier. I could see myself spending that on a dinner at a semi-fancy place and for me it's a no-brainer which one is long term the better choice for me. So even if a reprint cuts 80% of the value of a card I bought when it was expensive I won't be sad. It's just the way life is sometimes.

So no, I don't think I have FOMO. I just buy cards when I need them and since I love optimising I try to buy them when they're at their lowest (within reason, of course).
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Réponse #9 le: Février 27, 2022, 05:32:03 pm »
For me it's not so much about FOMO.  But more about accomplishing my goal.  (See this thread.)

With unique cards in Secret Lairs, unique cards in commander decks, unique commander cards that aren't in the Commander decks (??), WotC is making it more and more difficult.  Not to mention the increased pace of new products.  I am beginning to rethink my goal.  But so far, still achieved!
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Réponse #10 le: Février 27, 2022, 06:12:15 pm »
For me it's not so much about FOMO.  But more about accomplishing my goal.  (See this thread.)

With unique cards in Secret Lairs, unique cards in commander decks, unique commander cards that aren't in the Commander decks (??), WotC is making it more and more difficult.  Not to mention the increased pace of new products.  I am beginning to rethink my goal.  But so far, still achieved!

I gotta say, I think about your endeavour quite a lot these days. Every time more and more stuff comes out with more and more cards only being available in certain boosters etc. I can't help but think "oof, this is gonna be rough for ApothecaryGeist".

Props to you for still going strong. I think by this point I would have decided on a cut off point and called it there. But I imagine after so long and such an amount of effort, stopping wouldn't be so easy. Good going dude.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Réponse #11 le: Février 27, 2022, 07:00:15 pm »

I gotta say, I think about your endeavour quite a lot these days. Every time more and more stuff comes out with more and more cards only being available in certain boosters etc. I can't help but think "oof, this is gonna be rough for ApothecaryGeist".

Thank you.  I'm honored to be thought of.

Props to you for still going strong. I think by this point I would have decided on a cut off point and called it there. But I imagine after so long and such an amount of effort, stopping wouldn't be so easy. Good going dude.

That would be a correct assessment.

Kamigawa Neon Dynasty actually proved a little easier to obtain all of the cards-that-aren't-actually-in-the-set.  I got most of the Commander extras in The List slot of my packs.  The thing that is making it more difficult (expensive) is, perhaps ironically, all of the extra treatments that cards get.  Showcase, Borderless, Extended Art, Alternate Art.  Often each card has multiple styles.  And each in foil and non-foil.  When opening packs, I'll get three and four different versions of the same rare.  That's two and three unique rares that I didn't get and now have to obtain as singles.
Happy Brewing!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Réponse #12 le: Février 27, 2022, 07:47:52 pm »

Thank you.  I'm honored to be thought of.

That would be a correct assessment.

Kamigawa Neon Dynasty actually proved a little easier to obtain all of the cards-that-aren't-actually-in-the-set.  I got most of the Commander extras in The List slot of my packs.  The thing that is making it more difficult (expensive) is, perhaps ironically, all of the extra treatments that cards get.  Showcase, Borderless, Extended Art, Alternate Art.  Often each card has multiple styles.  And each in foil and non-foil.  When opening packs, I'll get three and four different versions of the same rare.  That's two and three unique rares that I didn't get and now have to obtain as singles.

Damn, I didn't realise your collection extended to different treatments too. I thought it was "just" a case of 1 of each distinct magic card, regardless of treatment.

That makes it even more impressive/bat shit insane, and probably only makes it harder to stop because of how far down the rabbit hole you've already gone.

I can't even get my head around what that would physically look like. I find myself thinking a couple of thousand cards is more than I'm willing to keep sorted and stored.

With that level of dedication and attention to detail, I can only assume you're excellent at your job.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Réponse #13 le: Février 27, 2022, 08:00:41 pm »

Damn, I didn't realise your collection extended to different treatments too. I thought it was "just" a case of 1 of each distinct magic card, regardless of treatment.

Oh No.  It is just one of each.  Treatment doesn't matter.  My point is that each different treatment is effectively a different card within the booster pack collation.  So I end up getting a lot more of one single card.  And therefore fewer unique cards.  Things makes my goal of one of each more difficult to obtain through cracking packs.

[size=78%]With that level of dedication and attention to detail, I can only assume you're excellent at your job.[/size]

Thank you very much.  I like to think so.

I can't even get my head around what that would physically look like.
No photo description available.

Edit:  Image as of Zendikar Rising.  The fourth box (on the right) is almost full now.
« Modifié: Février 27, 2022, 08:02:46 pm par ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Réponse #14 le: Février 27, 2022, 08:42:04 pm »

Oh No.  It is just one of each.  Treatment doesn't matter.  My point is that each different treatment is effectively a different card within the booster pack collation.  So I end up getting a lot more of one single card.  And therefore fewer unique cards.  Things makes my goal of one of each more difficult to obtain through cracking packs.

[size=78%]With that level of dedication and attention to detail, I can only assume you're excellent at your job.[/size]

Thank you very much.  I like to think so.

I can't even get my head around what that would physically look like.
No photo description available.

Edit:  Image as of Zendikar Rising.  The fourth box (on the right) is almost full now.

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. All the different treatments for certain cards skew the probabilities across the whole set.

Thanks for sharing a picture! It's both significantly more than my collection and simultaneously no where near as large and cumbersome as I was expecting.

I find the whole thing fascinating. Such a huge endeavour, but a perfect summation of one of the greatest, most well loved and constantly evolving games ever created.