deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: This deck could definitely use your help Seamonster EDH  (Read 937 times)

Adelissa

• Decks
This deck could definitely use your help Seamonster EDH
« on: March 25, 2022, 09:16:46 pm »
The depths
Hey Guys! This is the third deck I'm making and it really needs some help, I'm trying to keep on theme and looked up a few decks but all of them for this archetype are super old. I'd like to know what new love I can put on this deck and help is appreciated!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: This deck could definitely use your help Seamonster EDH
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 01:27:42 am »
Starting with some of the new sea monster cards there's Spawning Kraken. Very useful with the theme you have going. There's also Serpent of Yawning Depths. It's alright for an unblockable-effect. There's Koma, Cosmos Serpent, although I'm not sure what he'd do for this deck other than be a big creature. Reflections of Littjara could be fun for this, as could Kindred Summons but it has a hefty mana cost. The last one to consider is Runo Stromkirk. He would fit the sea monster theme more than Zegana, but you would need to swap out all of your green cards. It's a pretty big change.

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 06:22:07 am »
The last one to consider is Runo Stromkirk. He would fit the sea monster theme more than Zegana, but you would need to swap out all of your green cards. It's a pretty big change.

I think that card would fit great as a commander but since this deck is so mana heavy and lacks draw I settled on zegana so I could ramp mana quickly with green, But I definitely agree he fits the deck more. I love the other suggestions and will definitely be including some of them Thanks!

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 07:13:01 am »

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 +2 Mace
+1 Cyclonic Rift

Mace was added by mistake

SirHerpaderp

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 09:28:47 am »
Hey! I think it's a good choice to go for Runo Stromkirk! He's super fun. One thing I found out while playing my deck is, that legendary creatures don't work that good with him since the copies won't stick around. You could use Sakashima of a thousand Faces or Mirror Box, cut them (I found their valuie lacking most of the time) or just run them anyway ofc. Atm the only legendaries I run are Wrexial and Gyruda since they provide huge value. Also I found some sort of topdeck manipulation or loot effects help a lot to flip Runo. I really hope, this helps a bit on your journey! :)

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 05:43:27 pm »

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
-1 Charcoal Diamond
-1 Chasm Skulker
-1 Pearl Lake Ancient
-1 Stormtide Leviathan
+1 Demonic Tutor
+1 Grim Tutor
+1 Rhystic Study
+1 Sakashima of a Thousand Faces

Thanks for the suggestion, I removed a few cards, included a few tutors and sakashima to help with the legend rule, I also added rhystic study since my draw was removed when I changed commanders
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 05:45:09 pm by Adelissa »

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 05:49:53 pm »

Revision 6

Added/removed cards:
-1 Sealock Monster
+1 Ponder

Removed sealock as its value didnt seem that great and replaced with ponder to help flip runo

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 04:22:35 pm »
Now that you've got Runo as the commander this should be a functional deck. The only real issue is that you're playing a deck with a high curve. It's an unfortunate downside that comes with playing a sea monster deck. I do have a few other suggestions, but it's mostly just small changes at this point.

Your land base is solid. There are only two lands I'd remove: Temple of the False God and Vivid Creek. Temple of the False God is really bad to have in the early game so it's a bit of a trap. Vivid Creek enters tapped, so there's just better options. I'd replace these cards with your choice of either Choked Estuary, Drowned Catacomb, Exotic Orchard, Underground River, or just a basic land.

It's a good thing you have a strong mana ramp package. You're going to need it. I'd still swap out Burnished Hart, Commander's Sphere, Dimir Locket, Sky Diamond, and Solemn Simulacrum for Coldsteel Heart, Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, Star Compass, and Talisman of Dominance. If you have the money to spare you can instead use Sapphire Medallion. If you want another effect like Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power you can think about using Extraplanar Lens. You're using enough basic islands to make it work.

You're going to want some more card draw. I think you're going to want both Windfall and Whispering Madness. They're both good card draw and you can take advantage of the discard effect with Runo Stromkirk. You can also choose to use Notion Thief. It lets you steal your opponent's card draw, and if you play Windfall/Whispering Madness with Notion Thief on the battlefield you'll draw all the cards your opponent would have drawn while your opponents get nothing. That means you win. Far cards to remove I'd start with Coastal Breach and Devastation Tide. You already have a lot of boardwipes that will ignore your creatures (like Whelming Wave), while these two don't.

After that the only thing left is to play some games and test this deck out. See how it performs.

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 06:53:06 pm »

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
-1 Coastal Breach
-1 Commander's Sphere
-1 Devastation Tide
-1 Dimir Locket
-1 Sky Diamond
-1 Temple of the False God
-1 Vivid Creek
+1 Coldsteel Heart
+1 Drowned Catacomb
+1 Extraplanar Lens
+1 Mind Stone
+1 Whispering Madness
+1 Windfall

Changed amounts:
+1 Island

Thanks for the suggestions morgan, always appreciate them, I made some changed but I'd like to keep burnished hart for sunken temple synergy as well so I've excluded felwar stone in place. Your suggestions are always wonderful and appreciated.

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 06:48:10 am »
The deck is actually performing super well, I didnt realize hullbreak horror went infinite with two mana rocks so that put the deck in a much higher tier than intended. I'm going to mark the deck as complete here and retire it from non-competitive games. Thanks for the help all!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 12:00:18 pm »
The deck is actually performing super well, I didnt realize hullbreak horror went infinite with two mana rocks so that put the deck in a much higher tier than intended. I'm going to mark the deck as complete here and retire it from non-competitive games. Thanks for the help all!

Hold up, no need to break out the drastic measures just yet.

First off, you don't need to worry about this being a competitive-only deck. Competitive commander decks (cEDH for short) are on another level. While Runo here is well built, you don't need to worry about it being too strong for people to handle. It's still a deck for casual play.

Let's talk about that Hullbreaker Horror combo. It takes 7 mana to cast this dude, you only have 2 cards that can search for it, and then you need the right mana rocks for infinite mana. Also this is a pretty easy combo to interrupt with any kind of removal. This shouldn't be a problem unless your group is very low-power. And if it is a problem for them, you just gotta remove Hullbreaker Horror, no need to dump the whole deck.

More important than all of this, is do you like the deck? Is this a deck that's fun for you to play? If it is, keep playing it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:07:05 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 01:41:10 pm »
More important than all of this, is do you like the deck? Is this a deck that's fun for you to play? If it is, keep playing it.

This. A deck can always be powered up/down: the important thing is that you like playing it :)
Golgari is life. And death.

Adelissa

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 09:12:02 pm »
Sorry, I realized the wording on the message can be mis-construed out of my play group lol. So when I say 'competitive' games I mean more along the lines of power 7-8 decks. my play groups doesn't really do any competitive games but we do do higher powered games where we bring out decks like these. I love this deck! a lot actually and its definitely not going into the 'never play again' bin. I'm just going to reserve it for our higher competition games or game store rather than casual games. My group does a lot of tribal and meme decks like restaurant tribal and that sort of thing and I didn't realize krakens could be optimized past that because the version with green wasn't really powerful at all. This deck will definitely see play just not as often, I also love building new decks and make a new one about once a month(as budget allows) so its one of the many haha