deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I want to scream  (Read 482 times)

fire5167

• Decks
I want to scream
« on: May 29, 2023, 07:13:42 pm »
I just spent 20-30 hours of my life editing, revising, and tuning a deck that doesn’t even work.

I made a commander deck for Myojin of Cryptic Dreams and I thought “wow I can combo with Lost Vale and Clockspinning by copying Lost Vale with the trigger” and I went on to build a whole deck around that idea. If you are confused on how the combo works, I now know that it doesn’t. I thought it said “copy target permanent.” instead of “copy target permanent spell.” I’m so angry at myself. I played an online match this morning and was about to go infinite and then I just didn’t.

I just want to vent because I spent a ton of time tuning and it was all for nothing. I edited the deck again to be fixed-ish but the actual ability is just so much worse than I thought. Anyways I hope y'all get some schadenfreude from this.

Has mtg ever made you want to beat your head against the wall and cry?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: I want to scream
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:27:35 pm »
It's a shame you couldn't make it work out, but there might be something you could do with Gitaxian Anatomist or Kiora's Dambreaker or any other permanent with a proliferate etb.

• Somehow get a second indestructible counter on Myojin.
  • Cast a proliferate permanent.
  • Copy it with Myojin's ability.
  • The copies will resolve first, giving more counters to Myojin.
  • Before the original spell resolves, copy it again.
  • Repeat for infinite proliferate triggers and infinite copies of that permanent.

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 09:38:04 pm »
Oh my god I never would have thought of that. That is a great idea, I really hope there is a way to salvage the idea of a Myojin combo deck. I think I will take a break and mentally recover before I sink more time into this however.

Thank you for the advice!

Also, come to think of it
All produce infinite mana with faerie/jewel on the stack. Ok I’m happier now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:48:40 pm by fire5167 »

UrizenII

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 06:23:20 pm »
Unfortunately, it's not just that it copies a permanent spell and not a permanent that's the problem.  Myojin only gets the indestructible counter on it if you cast it from your hand, and the command zone is not your hand.  The only way I can think of in mono blue to get an indestructible counter on it without casting from hand would be either Tyrite Sanctum or Tekuthal, Inquiry Dominus (activated ability) + Leech Bonder or Nesting Grounds.  Otherwise, you'd need either a Campfire or Command Beacon to put it from the Command Zone into your hand, or to spend the eight mana to cast it, more to bounce it back to your hand somehow, then pay eight again to recast it.

There are a few times where I've done something similar and realized that a card didn't do what I thought it did (because I didn't read it properly) or some interaction I thought was cool didn't actually work the way I thought it would.  The only recent example I can really think of is Liesa, Shroud of Dusk.  She's the commander for my Orzhov Angel tribal deck.  I thought the paying life instead of commander tax was a may, but it isn't.  You have to pay the life each time.  Turns out that you don't need a Drannith Magistrate to prevent her from being cast from the command zone when you yourself played an Angel of Jubilation.  Needless to say, I took that card out of the deck in a hurry.

Has mtg ever made you want to beat your head against the wall and cry?
You mean that isn't the default response when playing Magic?