deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: LOTR Precons  (Read 637 times)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
LOTR Precons
« on: June 10, 2023, 05:57:42 pm »
So, I think they have spoiled enough cards for the LOTR precons that we can get a pretty6 good idea what each is going to do.  Which precon sparks the most interest for you?  Has anyone started brainstorming upgraded versions?

When I saw Bilbo, I started building a silly lifegain deck.  Now that they have spoiled more cards I realize that a lot of the cards I put in that idea are going to be in the "Food and Fellowship" precon.  I can also see people coming up with some interesting ways to use Lobelia, Defender of Bag End.  Gollum, Obsessed Stalker seemed like it could be amazing as a commander when I first glanced at it, but getting a 1/1 through for combat damage is a pain in the rear and gaining life every turn in mono-black is tricky.  I am sure someone else will come up with a great idea for him, but I don't think I am going to try yet.

"Riders of Rohan" is a 'Merica deck.  Eowyn, Shieldmaiden seems decent for a human tribal deck.  It has a Monarch sub theme built around Aragorn, King of Gondor.  I have been thinking of building Dwarf Tribal for a while, but I think Gimli of the Glittering Caves will be one of the cards people cut if they are upgrading this precon.  He doesn't really fit into anything else this deck is doing, although there are quite a few legendaries to trigger his ability.  Overall, it looks to me like this deck is trying to do too many things.  It might be like some of the 40K precons where you split it into 2 decks and fill in the gaps.

"Elven Council" Looks like it is mostly elf-ball, with a voting sub-theme.  Easy to upgrade, but the result will look like a thousand other decks.  Arwen, Weaver of Hope gives us another way to cheese persist creatures, so that is interesting.  Radagast, Wizard of the Wilds could be built around, but it doesn't really seem like he fits into this deck well.  Gandalf, Westward Voyager will have some "go Big or go Home" Simic decks built around him, but I don't see how he fits in here.  Legolas Greenleaf is similar to the Gimli I mentioned above, but he actually fits the theme of this deck.  Haldir, Lorien Lieutenant looks kinda like a cross between Joraga Warcaller and Ezuri, Renegade Leader.  Not sure he will replace Ezuri as a go-to mono-green elf tribal commander, but he goes in the 99 in those decks for sure.  Cirdan, the Shipwright looks interesting.  He has enough toughness that he should survive at least a few attacks to trigger his ability.  The first vote everybody will tend to vote for themselves, so I would hold off casting him till I have another permanent in hand worth giving an opponent 2 cards to cheat in.  After that the rest of the table might start voting for you, giving you cards.  It is risky as hell, but very interesting. 
My fingers are tired and this has become a wall of text people are going to hesitate to read, so I am going to stop there for now.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
Re: LOTR Precons
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 09:21:48 pm »
I'm happy for these precons for a number of reasons. I like each of the themes each one has (I really like Food and Fellowship) and each of the precons contains several double digit priced cards that will eventually lead to their overall prices dropping. cough Toxic Deluge cough

I like how they went with the book lore instead of of the movies. I'm NOT saying the movies were bad at all, I just prefer the lore of the books more.

I was skeptical of this set at first, but now I'm actually leaning towards picking up each of the precons and some boosters.

jackycola

• Hi, I am Jacky and I like Pizza
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 04:08:02 am »
Since I ordered them all I decided to simply wait and don't try to spoiler myself too much. Will enjoy looking through each deck while sleeving.
However I plan to keep the Decks as Precons. Since they are all themed LotR I dont feel an upgrade or taking them apart would be justice.

In case I'll use one deck or commander as base for a new deck, I'll just build it and order the singles.

I only recently got the tyranid precon because I fell in love with lucea kane but after upgrading I realized that in the End I removed half the precon and didnt save any money lol.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 08:40:30 am »
I'll be getting all of them.

LotR is the only thing that I'm more nerdy for than magic. When they announced the set, I immediately resolved to own the whole set; something I've never done for any previous set.

Luckily for me, they've nailed it, so my resolve is doubled.

For the precons specifically, I'm most excited for the Abzan hobbit one. The flavour they put into it with the cards and art is phenomenal. The parts of the book in the Shire were always my favourite. I love epic battles and legendary swords and reluctant heroes and good vs evil and big ass spiders as much as the next guy, but something about the Shire always got me. I guess it's because of how relatable it is. It really is just like the Midlands of England in so many ways.

I have never been more hype for a Magic set.

fluffyp

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 11:11:53 am »
Just look at the art!  It's gorgeous.  I could spend days just talking about the art.

Do I love the look of any of the decks from a gameplay perspective, maybe, but not enough that I'm overly hyped for this release.  Then again, I bought the Warhammer ones on a whim, not expecting to think them anything other than a gimmick and I love the decks, and find myself 20 books deep into the 54 book Horus Heresy series now ... so, maybe, who knows?

I haven't seen any commanders spoiled from the entire set that I have thought to myself I have to build-around, either.  But again, I thought that about the latest Phyrexia block and now my entire brain is caught up with various All Will Be One, MOM and Aftermath commanders I MUST build lists for (even if I never actually purchase the cards).

But, sorry, back on topic ... I guess the Jeskai Human tribal, because I love monarch and I have been wanting to build a humans deck for a while.  I've always tended to be more of a person who leans towards Abzan colours, but I have found myself drifting towards Jeskai recently, so I am interested to check this deck out.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 08:23:47 pm »
I haven’t ever played around with it, but it looks like that Rohan deck will add some useful tech for Monarch decks.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 09:00:56 pm »
Cirdan the Shipwright is going to be pure chaos  xD

...but to be honest, if you are building simic Elves without Edric, Spymaster of Trest, you are doing it wrong.

I like Bilbo and the other Food and Fellowship commanders because they are the first lifegain commanders in abzan, and I have a Karlov of the Ghost Council deck that I'd like to turn abzan.