deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: Goad as Pillowfort  (Leído 642 veces)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Goad as Pillowfort
« en: Agosto 02, 2023, 06:13:53 am »
Not much else to say. Do you think that goading your opponents creatures is just as effective as, say, a Propaganda effect? Is it more effective? And what are your favorite goad effects to use?

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
Re: Goad as Pillowfort
« Respuesta #1 en: Agosto 02, 2023, 12:17:34 pm »
I used to have Xantcha, Sleeper Agent EDH deck, the whole idea revolved around Goading opponents and also letting them sink mana into Xantcha, while using undying effects to keep her around. The idea was fun I think, but gameplay-wise maybe I just wasn't the right pilot for the deck, even if you do end up taking down 2 opponents, was hard to finish off the last player.

I preffer regular pillowfort over goading.

_shift

• Decks
« Respuesta #2 en: Agosto 02, 2023, 12:28:00 pm »
I tend to build a lot of Aikido decks / play with that Aikido mindset (control player at heart). I do not believe Goad is as effective as deterrants such as Ghostly Prison or Propaganda for two reasons:

• Aggro. Goad just tends to make all the other players irritated at you. The goal of an Aikido playstyle is to fly under the radar. I tried to make a Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer / Noble Heritage "Politics" deck but the political piece failed because all everyone wanted to do was kill Baeloth to stop the Goad.
  • 1v1. Goad can be great disruption, but it all falls apart if you don't finish the table off before it gets down to 1v1. A Ghostly Prison is something my opponent always has to deal with, but Goad offers no protection when it's down to me and the other player.

Varatius

• Decks
« Respuesta #3 en: Agosto 02, 2023, 08:49:27 pm »
I think of goad as aif it's got 3 modes, pseudo self fog, temporary pillow fort, or delayed removal.

I thing the self fog part is obvious same with the temporary pillow fort, however I have goaded my opponents with the knowledge that certain creatures would be blocked and killed.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Respuesta #4 en: Agosto 02, 2023, 10:31:46 pm »
I'm a little torn on Goad. I don't think it's as "good" as pillow fort but I've definitely used it to control the board state of my opponents.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Respuesta #5 en: Agosto 03, 2023, 02:13:00 am »
I am the king of goad in my playgroups. It is a very interesting mechanic that inspires you to aim and finish for 2nd place. However when used correctly it can win casual games. Goading however does need a finisher because when it comes down to 1 v 1 then it becomes pointless to use unlike pillow fort. Also using goad is more efficient when goading multiple creatures at one time compared to just 1 creature. That is why disrupt decorum, taunt from the rampart and Komainu Battle Armor are much better cards to use. The thing with goad is to not rely on it to heavily because then all your doing is having your opponents beat each other up while you just do nothing but goad. Goad moves things along very rapidly. Goad forces others to attack each other while pillowfort an opponent can still attack you. Alas that also pillowfort shuts down goad cause the goaded player doesn't have to attack the pillowfort opponent because he isn't obligated to pay.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Respuesta #6 en: Agosto 21, 2023, 10:39:26 pm »
Maybe, if you can consistently goad every turn...
I think of goad as a mostly aggressive ability. Like a delayed Falter.

I used to have Xantcha, Sleeper Agent EDH deck, the whole idea revolved around Goading opponents and also letting them sink mana into Xantcha, while using undying effects to keep her around. The idea was fun I think, but gameplay-wise maybe I just wasn't the right pilot for the deck, even if you do end up taking down 2 opponents, was hard to finish off the last player.

I preffer regular pillowfort over goading.

Imho, a good goad commander is Grenzo, Havoc Raiser. By forcing opponents to attack each other, you make them vulnerable to future attacks from your creatures. And Grenzo's other ability gives you a bit of staying power in the late game.

The newly spoiled Alela, Cunning Conqueror also looks good, because it comes with her own evasive attacker.

PS: another very good "goad" effect is Dulcet Sirens.
« Última modificación: Agosto 21, 2023, 10:41:35 pm por EMaxxi »

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Respuesta #7 en: Agosto 24, 2023, 06:40:37 pm »
The biggest problem with goad as pillow fort is that you have to be able to close out or completely dominate before you get to 1 v 1.  If you're able to goad the board every turn, you are in a pretty great place to just focus on setting up and letting everyone else slug it out, but one board wipe away from getting in some serious deep waterPropaganda doesn't actively hurt your opponents, but goad often does, so they'll be keen to find the opportunity to tear you down.  It's a bigger draw for removal and, once removed, you become the prime target a lot of the time.

So, in summary, it technically can prevent attacks better than Propaganda, but it also can loose you the game if you aren't able to support it with quite a bit of protection or other pillow fort effects.