deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Prepping for a casual budget tournament  (Read 1788 times)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Re: Prepping for a casual budget tournament
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2023, 06:40:00 am »
Your point about not wanting things to stay on the field during your opponents’ turns applies to anything with an aura attached, so you might consider cutting them.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2023, 10:53:31 am »
The thing with Odric, Master Tactician isn't so much isn't forcing blocks. It is that you can choose which creatures block which could be 0 creatures blocking so you could get damage in for scott free. The other 2 that work similar like odric are Frontline Medic and Loyal Unicorn. But understandable though because those 3 creatures aren't carrying an etb trigger for the commander
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2023, 06:46:30 pm »
While I'm loving all the suggestions on what to put in... I still have zero idea on what to take out  :-\

You do have a lot of subthemes in this deck. How important are the lifegain and recursion cards? You can start cuts there.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2023, 01:33:58 pm »
Your point about not wanting things to stay on the field during your opponents’ turns applies to anything with an aura attached, so you might consider cutting them.

All the auras in the deck have ETB effects. So while I can use them to enchant one of my own creatures or nullify one of my opponent's, I often bounce them to exile with Abdel. Having the option to make a potential "super soldier" with Nurturing Spirit has actually won me a couple of games. Angelic Gift could easily be replaced by something better, but giving a creature flying isn't terrible. It's primarily there for its ETB card draw and the fact it only costs 2 mana.

I don't know how to quote multiple people in one post without going back in and editing it, so I'll just reply to Morganator without the quotes...

I have zero attachment to the lifegain and recursion. They had proved useful in the past and the burst healing from Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant are nice once I start generating a few soldiers every turn, but they aren't absolutely necessary. The recursion is just because my friend group runs lots of removal and they know to take out Abdel's 'entourage' before he can get them to safety. The Order of Whiteclay worked nicely with all my vehicles and tap abilities, but he is definitely not a must have either.

As far as Campfire goes...  ;) I'm stubborn about that card. It is so helpful with running two commanders, and it's the poor woman's Command Beacon. Should I take it out? Probably... Am I going to? 😅😅 Probably not.

Edit: I took it out. 😭 I am replacing it with a Flawless Maneuver when I get one.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 02:22:12 pm by Rose the Budget Queen »

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2023, 02:44:58 pm »
Here's the changes so far:

Out:
Cathars' Crusade: CMC was too high Replaced with Odric, Master Tactician.
Restoration Angel: CMC was too high and the effect was usually only helpful once. Replaced with Cloudshift.
Seller of Songbirds: Flyers were nice but Knight-Captain of Eos needed a spot.
Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Order of Whiteclay, and Karmic Guide: removed lifegain/recursion subthemes.
Ichor Wellspring: I have lots of effects that synergize with creature ETBs so I replaced it with Circuit Mender.
Pilgrim of the Ages: Replaced with Liquimetal Torque to combo with Loran.
Lae'zel's Acrobatics: I love the possible double blink, but not for 4 CMC. Replaced with Ephemerate.
Angelic Gift: Replaced with Lembas.
Campfire 💔: I love this card, but all the indestructible makes it much less helpful.
1 Plains: Replaced with Holdout Settlement.

In:
Cloudshift*
Ephemerate*
Holdout Settlement*
Circuit Mender*
Loran of the Third Path*
Liquimetal Torque
Odric, Master Tactician
Knight-Captain of Eos*
Roving Harper
Panharmonicon*
Selfless Spirit
Flawless Maneuver*
Lembas*

* = I don't own yet but I plan to get soon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 02:53:31 pm by Rose the Budget Queen »

DDaniDMrt

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2023, 10:20:50 pm »
Gonna try to contribute at your list a bit!

But I'm probably the least experienced aroud as far as deckbulding is concerned, I'm only proposing some interactions with single cards you might have missed, hoping I'm in the right

I've some personal questions, first of all, given the fact you have tried the deck some times:  At what point of your plans do your games end? At which turn? 6th turn? 12th? And how many permanents were you usually able to amass under Abdel? Where you at that point far from a winning position or relatively close?

Aside from this, back to your list:

Random wincon thoughts:
I really liked cathars crusade, but I get the budget problem... (and really like the cloudshift replace)
Moreover, I'm not sure how much mass removal is played in your pod, and so how much is viable the idea of closing out the game with some very huge soldiers. Maybe it is less powerfull than I thought, if you put it out. Wasn't it enough for the crusade to hit the battlefield to immediatly puts you in a favorable spot to win? (after a couple blinks more)

I think restoration angel was a combo piece with Abdel... I'm in the wrong? Like felidar guardian! With a third piece of the like of cloudshift / Ephemerate. Or far traveler too. I'd suggest to swap it back, putting the flickerwisp out.
The combo should work like this:
1)Preparation: you cast the felidar guardian (or the angel), his etb targeting abdel, blinks abdel. Abdel exiles the felidar guardian under him and everything else he was already exiling.
2) Starting point: Abdel exiling felidar guardian targeted by a blink effect (far traveler, cloudshift...)
3) resolve the blink, abdel exits and enters back, all permanents (most importantly felidar guardian ("fg")) he was exiling enter the battlefield.
4) Arrange triggers on the stack as you wish: fg's trigger targeting abdel first, abdel's trigger after.
5) Resolve abdel's trigger exiling fg (and creating one soldier)
6) Resolve fg's trigger exiling abdel
7) so returning abdel and fg on the battlefield
8) repeat 348579834759 times creating 348579834759 soldiers.
9) Hope none has a response.

Removal
I'm gonna stress again on the likes of oblivion ring, fiend hunter, journey to nowhere, leonin relic-warder
They are not at all temporary removal with abdel, with a bit of work included...!!! Look at that: 8)
1) you cast oblivion ring (obr), his etb tirggers targeting and exiling what you want
2) later you cast Abdel; his etb triggers and exiles obr. Obr's leave the battlefield trigger (ltbt) triggers and unfortunately returns what was exiled.
3) This is a new starting point though.
4) You blink Abdel while he is exiling the obr. (with far traveler or cloudshift)
5) Resolution: Abdel exits and returns back
6) "Sort of state base action": Obr enters back
7) You have at this point their two etbs to put on the stack as you desire: obr's first (stating his target) and abdel's second
8) Resolve Abdel's trigger, exiling obr.
9) Obr's ltbt triggers and returns nothing on resolution.
10) Finally you resolve the obr's etb and exile his targets. Forever.

At this point every time you blink Abdel (blink and not flicker, like flickerwisp) you have a free removal under it. With a bit of preps you have so gained a far better Loran of the third path. But I don't know if this is so reliable as I make it seems.
I'd slot in an oblivion ring and a journey to nowhere, slotting out a prison sentence and a lay down arms.

Michellanea
I'd slot out a brute suit for a Honor-Worn Shaku (Mana!!!!)
I'd slot out a thundering chariot for a Flywheel Racer (mana!!!)
In the protection section I'd consider Your temple is under attack and Blacksmith's Skill
Ashnod's altar would probably be a good mana card, with a bit of preparation...: helping you cast the most expensive spells exploiting some soldiers...
Hero of goma fada Morganator 2.0 suggested seems better to me than selfless spirt, but maybe I'm overstimating your capability to blink at instant speed when you need it.
Maybe a justiciar's portal?

Ok I'm out sorry for the wall of text XD

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 09:13:38 am »
Gonna try to contribute at your list a bit!

But I'm probably the least experienced aroud as far as deckbulding is concerned, I'm only proposing some interactions with single cards you might have missed, hoping I'm in the right

I've some personal questions, first of all, given the fact you have tried the deck some times:  At what point of your plans do your games end? At which turn? 6th turn? 12th? And how many permanents were you usually able to amass under Abdel? Where you at that point far from a winning position or relatively close?

Aside from this, back to your list:

Random wincon thoughts:
I really liked cathars crusade, but I get the budget problem... (and really like the cloudshift replace)
Moreover, I'm not sure how much mass removal is played in your pod, and so how much is viable the idea of closing out the game with some very huge soldiers. Maybe it is less powerfull than I thought, if you put it out. Wasn't it enough for the crusade to hit the battlefield to immediatly puts you in a favorable spot to win? (after a couple blinks more)

I think restoration angel was a combo piece with Abdel... I'm in the wrong? Like felidar guardian! With a third piece of the like of cloudshift / Ephemerate. Or far traveler too. I'd suggest to swap it back, putting the flickerwisp out.
The combo should work like this:
1)Preparation: you cast the felidar guardian (or the angel), his etb targeting abdel, blinks abdel. Abdel exiles the felidar guardian under him and everything else he was already exiling.
2) Starting point: Abdel exiling felidar guardian targeted by a blink effect (far traveler, cloudshift...)
3) resolve the blink, abdel exits and enters back, all permanents (most importantly felidar guardian ("fg")) he was exiling enter the battlefield.
4) Arrange triggers on the stack as you wish: fg's trigger targeting abdel first, abdel's trigger after.
5) Resolve abdel's trigger exiling fg (and creating one soldier)
6) Resolve fg's trigger exiling abdel
7) so returning abdel and fg on the battlefield
8) repeat 348579834759 times creating 348579834759 soldiers.
9) Hope none has a response.

Removal
I'm gonna stress again on the likes of oblivion ring, fiend hunter, journey to nowhere, leonin relic-warder
They are not at all temporary removal with abdel, with a bit of work included...!!! Look at that: 8)
1) you cast oblivion ring (obr), his etb tirggers targeting and exiling what you want
2) later you cast Abdel; his etb triggers and exiles obr. Obr's leave the battlefield trigger (ltbt) triggers and unfortunately returns what was exiled.
3) This is a new starting point though.
4) You blink Abdel while he is exiling the obr. (with far traveler or cloudshift)
5) Resolution: Abdel exits and returns back
6) "Sort of state base action": Obr enters back
7) You have at this point their two etbs to put on the stack as you desire: obr's first (stating his target) and abdel's second
8) Resolve Abdel's trigger, exiling obr.
9) Obr's ltbt triggers and returns nothing on resolution.
10) Finally you resolve the obr's etb and exile his targets. Forever.

At this point every time you blink Abdel (blink and not flicker, like flickerwisp) you have a free removal under it. With a bit of preps you have so gained a far better Loran of the third path. But I don't know if this is so reliable as I make it seems.
I'd slot in an oblivion ring and a journey to nowhere, slotting out a prison sentence and a lay down arms.

Michellanea
I'd slot out a brute suit for a Honor-Worn Shaku (Mana!!!!)
I'd slot out a thundering chariot for a Flywheel Racer (mana!!!)
In the protection section I'd consider Your temple is under attack and Blacksmith's Skill
Ashnod's altar would probably be a good mana card, with a bit of preparation...: helping you cast the most expensive spells exploiting some soldiers...
Hero of goma fada Morganator 2.0 suggested seems better to me than selfless spirt, but maybe I'm overstimating your capability to blink at instant speed when you need it.
Maybe a justiciar's portal?

Ok I'm out sorry for the wall of text XD

I haven't actually kept track of what turn the deck "takes off." I just know that the wins it has are a complete victory with masses of unavoidable token damage. I'll do some test playing and see where the turns start to make or break the game.

I... need a rules check on the interaction between Abdel and cards that blink him. At first I thought if Oblivion Ring or something else returned to play after having been exiled by him that it couldn't exist on the field at the same time as him because it requires him to leave play, but like you stated the full blink effect is exile and immediately return him to play. This drastically changes things... But I feel like there's targeting issues somewhere that aren't immediately obvious. (The stack makes things so damn complicated).

If it does work like you say and both can target the other than there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be included.

Cathars' Crusade: I still have it in my Maybeboard cause I'm not sure if I fully want to take it out or not. I have til the end of the month to get this set up, so it's still going to have to do a lot of testing.

Edit: I looked it up on Commander Spellbook. It's a known infinite combo loop... So it looks like I'm doing some revamping again. :P

Edit 2: I double checked the ruling and.. holy shit!! I had no idea Oblivion Ring, Journey to Nowhere, and Fiend Hunter worked like that!!! Slotting them in immediately!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:48:55 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2023, 10:03:04 am »
Ok, updated list now that I know all the rulings (hopefully).

https://deckstats.net/decks/208937/3106465-white-blink-token-swarm-budget

Changes:
Flicker Wisp replaced with Restoration Angel
Roving Harper replaced with Felidar Guardian (Hate losing the draw, but needed to cut from somewhere)
Lay Down Arms replaced with Journey to Nowhere
Prison Sentence replaced with Oblivion Ring
1 Plains replaced with Fiend Hunter (Hoping that Flywheel and Shaku make up for the loss of mana)
Brute Suit replaced with Flywheel Racer
Thundering Chariot replaced with Honor-worn Shaku

Edit: With the addition of Infinite Combos and the potential for infinite mana along with that, I realized I needed a sort of "win-con" to actually be able to use the infinite tokens. Therefore I added in Akroma's Memorial. Due to it's high cost and the fact I have to stay under $100, I had to do a few other adjustments to drop the total price.

Replaced Flawless Maneuver with 1 Plains. (I don't really like dropping below 33 mana... so I added it back in)
Replaced Panharmonicon with Akroma's Memorial (Really good card, but I needed to drop the total value... In the non $100 budget version it will definitely stay in)
Kabira Takedown // Kabira Plateau for 1 Plains (I was literally $0.13 over $100, so I dropped this to get below that.)

Total cost: $99.92
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:36:15 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 06:36:42 pm »
Hey Budget Queen! 

This looks like a fun deck, nice job. 

I admit I haven't taken the time to read through all the posts, I see you got a lot of good tips.  I did pick up on a couple things for your tournament specifically though. 

1. (I think) You mentioned that when you have played, board wipes are a problem.  Is this specific to your meta?  Maybe it is in my playgroup, I don't play with the "public" much at all anymore, but we have mostly taken board wipes out of our decks, favoring more aggressive play and not slowing down the sessions.  We would rather have someone win in 40 minutes and play again, than drag out a 3-4 hour game full of wipes.  I kind of felt like that was where EDH was heading in general, so I felt like dedicating a lot of card slots to protection from wipes seemed unnecessary to me, but I realize every meta/group is different. 

2.  You are very focused on lowering your curve / lowest CMC cards you can for the slot of what you want the card to do.  In general, I know this is a good idea.  However, I feel like if there are a specific couple of cards that you like/will help your deck win and they are on the higher side of CMC, it's ok to have a few in.  What you really don't want is a hand full of 6 CMC cards on turn 6, because if that's the case you're probably toast.  But if you have 1 CMC 6 card in your hand on turn 6+ and it's a potential finisher for you, It's perfect.  I guess my point is, I wouldn't be too committed to getting the lowest CMC thing in the deck.  Sometimes there are very important reasons you would want the higher MV card for what it does for the deck.  To me it's "Spend the mana you need to spend to do the thing you need to do", not "spend less mana to hope to do the thing you do". 

As for a card I LOVE in EDH that I don't think gets enough credit, is Wedding Ring!  I think it may be a bit pricey $ these days, but I would look into it.  In current EDH world, I feel there is usually at least 1 player at the table drawing a ton of cards, and often you have multiple good choices which player you want to "align" with.  In my experience, it is very useful to make the player who is dominating early game sort of not look at you as a threat until you start popping off, buying you valuable time as your opponents beat each other up.  Especially in mono white where you may be a little slower to get your board set up and maybe not quite drawing a ton or ramping a ton, IMO the value is very hard to see by reading the card but the way it plays in-game is huge. 

Just my thoughts, enjoy!

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2023, 03:54:34 am »
Hey Budget Queen! 

This looks like a fun deck, nice job. 

I admit I haven't taken the time to read through all the posts, I see you got a lot of good tips.  I did pick up on a couple things for your tournament specifically though. 

1. (I think) You mentioned that when you have played, board wipes are a problem.  Is this specific to your meta?  Maybe it is in my playgroup, I don't play with the "public" much at all anymore, but we have mostly taken board wipes out of our decks, favoring more aggressive play and not slowing down the sessions.  We would rather have someone win in 40 minutes and play again, than drag out a 3-4 hour game full of wipes.  I kind of felt like that was where EDH was heading in general, so I felt like dedicating a lot of card slots to protection from wipes seemed unnecessary to me, but I realize every meta/group is different. 

2.  You are very focused on lowering your curve / lowest CMC cards you can for the slot of what you want the card to do.  In general, I know this is a good idea.  However, I feel like if there are a specific couple of cards that you like/will help your deck win and they are on the higher side of CMC, it's ok to have a few in.  What you really don't want is a hand full of 6 CMC cards on turn 6, because if that's the case you're probably toast.  But if you have 1 CMC 6 card in your hand on turn 6+ and it's a potential finisher for you, It's perfect.  I guess my point is, I wouldn't be too committed to getting the lowest CMC thing in the deck.  Sometimes there are very important reasons you would want the higher MV card for what it does for the deck.  To me it's "Spend the mana you need to spend to do the thing you need to do", not "spend less mana to hope to do the thing you do". 

As for a card I LOVE in EDH that I don't think gets enough credit, is Wedding Ring!  I think it may be a bit pricey $ these days, but I would look into it.  In current EDH world, I feel there is usually at least 1 player at the table drawing a ton of cards, and often you have multiple good choices which player you want to "align" with.  In my experience, it is very useful to make the player who is dominating early game sort of not look at you as a threat until you start popping off, buying you valuable time as your opponents beat each other up.  Especially in mono white where you may be a little slower to get your board set up and maybe not quite drawing a ton or ramping a ton, IMO the value is very hard to see by reading the card but the way it plays in-game is huge. 

Just my thoughts, enjoy!

Unfortunately board wipes do seem to be rather prevalent in the LGS where I play most often. But the indestructible in the deck also allows ME to cast board wipes much more freely. Nothing more satisfying than giving everything indestructible and then playing Wrath of God. Dick move? Yes. But still effective. I feel that the general rule in my playgroup and a good portion of the meta at the LGS says to have at least one board wipe in the deck. Even with the $100 budget I'm still expecting quite a few.

I'm not against more expensive CMC cards as long as they are worth the mana they cost. Because this deck really is quantity over quality keeping the overall curve down is really important. I'd much rather have a hand full of cheap 2 or 3 cost and maybe the occasional one that costs more than that. Abdel needs lots of cards on the field for his effect to work, so in this case being able to play more for less is ideal. That all being said, I'm not afraid of including high CMC cards if they work exceptionally well in the deck. I.E. Defiler of Faith, The Eternal Wanderer, Pegasus Guardian // Rescue the Foal, Rabble Rousing, Knight-Captain of Eos, and the new addition of Akroma's Memorial. I feel like if Abdel himself wasn't 5 CMC I would be able to use other cards with higher CMC, but playing him gets costly quick, especially if I had to add any commander tax onto that.

I didn't even know the Wedding Ring card existed! That's a cool concept. It would be especially potent against my wife's Black/Green Lifegain/Witherbloom deck... and fitting that her and I both get a copy of a wedding ring. If it wasn't such a high $$$ card I would likely pick one up to use. I may still grab one for this deck eventually, but for now it's far out of my budget both for what I can fit in the deck and what I myself can afford to buy.

Edit: Now I really wanna get a wedding ring card for both me and my wife. (I really like the Doctor Who version)... maybe that'll be my anniversary present for her this year. :) Thank you for introducing me to this card!!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:02:12 am by Rose the Budget Queen »