deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Is this deck build too strong? (Xyris, the writhing storm)  (Read 598 times)

Cardinal_T_R_K

• Building fun and interesting deck lists alike
  • Decks
Is this deck build too strong? (Xyris, the writhing storm)
« on: November 13, 2023, 10:21:03 pm »
Some of the players in my playgroup have been wanting to play with lower powered decks and cards since they haven't been having as much fun playing on the stronger end of what is considered "casual commander". As someone who generally likes to play optimized or stronger decks it's a bit of a challenge for me to properly power balance my decks with the rest of the group. Synergies or cards I think aren't really that strong they think are too powerful. So I just wanted to get some input or suggestions on this build for xyris snakes. ( https://deckstats.net/decks/136764/3283887-snekusar/en )Is it too strong? Is three wheels in deck too much? Is the ramp too aggressive? Is kozilek too powerful in the context of this deck? I only included it as a shuffle contingency for if I cast endless swarms. There are (shouldn't be) no combos in the deck with it

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Is this deck build too strong? (Xyris, the writhing storm)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 10:37:56 pm »
"Too strong" is a relative term. I do not think this is too strong, but you're not playing against me. It's your playgroup that will decide if it's too strong. Without any info about them, it's impossible to make that assessment.

Rose the Budget Queen

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 04:10:02 am »
Lower budget decks tend to do much better in a casual setting to avoid resentment.  As a rule I try to keep my truly casual decks under $150. If I want to play something that costs more I ask the table if they are OK with something more competitive. While expensive doesn't always mean good, it is a fairly accurate judge of the "strength" of a card. No Cyclonic Rift, Mana Crypt, or other things that really jack up the value.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:14:04 am by Rose the Budget Queen »

Draco Nekorus

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 03:16:16 pm »
The other two already mentioned valid points, to add on to that... Cards like Burgeoning and Deflecting Swat are not cards I would put in a deck that shouldn't get too strong.

Somewhitedude001

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 09:18:12 pm »
"Strong" is definitely playgroup to playgroup. When in doubt, you can ask your friends what they think makes a deck "Good", and run fewer/none of those things.

To Rose's point, good cards make bad decks good, and generally good cards are expensive. In my fun decks I intentionally play worse versions of staples, either to keep the theme or to keep the deck slow enough so that I don't overstep the table's intended power level.

If I had to just take a few blind shots-

Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
Perfect Mana makes any deck strong, and getting to completely ignore one of your 3 colors is very, very good.

Burgeoning: 70% of games it does nothing, 30% of games it'll spike you completely out of control to the win. Consider running Exploration instead if you absolutely feel the need to play extra lands, Kodama of The East Tree if you want the same effect but at a fairer amount of mana, or Court of Bounty if you want the slowest, most situational version

Deflecting Swat
Free spells will always feel oppressive. Try Wild Ricochet / Ricochet Trap if you really like the retarget effect, or just a regular counterspell if you really only want the interaction. Artistic Refusal is funny because you make tokens, Archmage's Charm has a lot of utility in its' options, and Cryptic Command is always a good standby

Heroic Intervention
It isn't specifically overpowered, but name-dropping it will get you some looks. Tamiyo's Safekeeping and Tyvar's Stand are the fairer single target versions, Eldrazi Monument is a funny replacement for indestructible that also buffs your Snarmy (Snake Army)

Prowling Serpopard
Being told "You can't do XYZ" is the easiest way, imo to make a deck seem oppressive. I'd consider replacing it altogether

Purphoros
He's just difficult to remove after he lands on the board. You can run stuff like Impact Tremors or Witty Roastmaster since it can actually be destroyed

Kozilek
It's mostly that you can shuffle without expending any resources, imo. I'd consider Commit//Memory or Elixir of Immortality so there's an actual opportunity cost

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 01:06:23 am »
I "only" added Kozilek so I can shuffle  ;D

The 12/12, draw 4, Annihilator 4 are just bonuses to ANYTHING else that lets me just shuffle :) :)

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 08:15:25 pm »
I took a quick stab at making a "powered down" casual, under $100 version of the deck

https://deckstats.net/decks/161626/3288895-snakes-on-a-plane