deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How can you play the Gitrog monster?  (Read 967 times)

MagicSwordsman

• Decks
How can you play the Gitrog monster?
« on: December 06, 2023, 05:30:40 pm »
Hi!
Recently I found a new commander I really like, the Gitrog monster. I love his mechanic to sac your lands etc. BUT I'm not a big fan of combo decks, so my question is if you can also play the Gitrog monster like a value deck and how strong it would be.

My playgroup is playing edh (not cedh!) and my budget is pretty low (maybe under 100, so no eldrazi that shuffle your Gy into your library).

Landale

• Decks
Re: How can you play the Gitrog monster?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 07:27:15 pm »
Given the large number of of play lands from the graveyard options, Zask, Skittering Swarmlord, Perennial Behemoth, Ramunap Excavator, etc., it shouldn't be too hard to play for value rather than combo.
Titania, Protector of Argoth and Tormod, the Desecrator would help you flood the board for constantly putting lands into your grave and taking them out. Sorcerer's Broom, Bloodbriar, and Gixian Infiltrator will help out as well.
Aside from that, some normal self mill, sacrifice, and/or landfall strategies will help round out the deck.

Gaea's Blessing and Blessed Respite are pretty nice budget alternatives to packing Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre or the like for graveyard resetting.

I threw together an example of what kind of thing you could do. Budget's at about $90, so you could possibly swap out some of the basics for more utility nonbasics or dual lands.
https://deckstats.net/decks/168446/3316070-gitrog-budget-100
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 10:01:04 pm by Landale »

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 01:37:40 am »
Absolutely.  You can definitely play him as a value piece.  All you really need is a way to play lands from the graveyard or a bunch of draw and or mill paired with play an additional land effects (or both, both is always good), then just have a handful of great landfall/sacrifice/graveyard payoffs and go crazy.  There are really endless directions you can take this deck, many of which are still pretty powerful, even without the combos that Gitrog is best known for.  You could even probably play Gitrog voltron and have a decent time.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 03:21:51 pm »
Elixir of Immortality and Campfire are also budget ways to shuffle your graveyard back.