deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rule question regarding Gandalf of secret fire  (Read 1017 times)

Gorebattechef

• Decks
Rule question regarding Gandalf of secret fire
« on: December 08, 2023, 02:32:29 pm »
Hello, first time using the forum. Tried to find an appropriated place for this but didnt find any so ill try my luck here.

I have lots of questions concerning Gandalf of the secret fire. I have forgotten all but one but hopefully the answer will help me for the others when they come back to my stupide brain again.

If i cast an instant (spell A) and then splice onto arcane/instant a spell (spell B) cast during my opponent turn, what happens ?

Spell A resolves with B right now and in 3 turns aswell ? Or in 3 turns is it just spell A ?

Thanks for your time 😋
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:17:04 pm by Gorebattechef »

UrizenII

• Decks
Re: Rule question regarding Gandalf of secret fire
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 05:38:12 pm »
Splice is a mechanic that simply adds one card's effect onto another: "As you cast an [Arcane/instant or sorcery] spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell."  The card you are splicing doesn't actually get cast, so the Gandalf trigger only happens for the spell that you cast.  For example, if you cast Consuming Vortex and splice on Glacial Ray, only Vortex itself will get cast and then exiled with the three time counters.  Ray stays in your hand.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:40:41 pm by UrizenII »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 11:26:02 pm »
To further clarify the point,

The new spliced on text ceases to exist when the original card moves to exile.  Much the same way that a creature that has been modified loses all of its changes when it gets flickered.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Gorebattechef

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 11:31:56 pm »
Ok thank you very much for your answers. If my other questions come back to my tiny  brain i'll ask of your generosity again . have a nice evening

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 12:06:40 am »
The important distinction here is between cards and spells.  Splice adds an effect to a SPELL.  Suspend exiles a CARD.  A spell is what we call cards when they are on the stack, and no other time.  If they're on the board, we call them permanents, and everywhere else, they're cards.  So, you added the effect to the spell, but Gandalf exiles the card, not the spell.  The spliced effect doesn't exist on the card.  The card still says the exact same thing it always has.

So, you cast spell A, reveal card B to splice on the effects of spell B.  Then you get both effects and suspend card A.  Over a few turns you remove some time counters, and cast spell A.  You could, at that point, splice the effects of spell B onto the newly cast spell A, but you'd still have to pay the appropriate costs, otherwise you just get spell A's effects.