deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Question about land  (Read 1178 times)

Jeck79

• Decks
Question about land
« on: January 21, 2024, 12:23:41 pm »
Hi i have a question about the Lands that say: tap this Land and put a island or a swamp (mistvault bridge)
The question Is: can i use this type of Land for casting a spell or a creature? Or only for casting another Land?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:31:19 pm by Jeck79 »

Kale87

• Decks
Re: Question about land
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 02:52:53 pm »
It doesnt say "put a island or a swamp" it says "Add blue Mana or Black Mana to your Mana-Pool" similar to basic Lands. You can use this mana to cast spells.

Btw Lands are played and not cast.

Jeck79

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 05:42:26 pm »
Thank you but does this mana also apply to subsequent rounds?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 05:56:41 pm »
Thank you but does this mana also apply to subsequent rounds?

I'm not sure what you mean by subsequent rounds, but the land stays on the battlefield while mana empties as each step and phase of the turn ends.

Jeck79

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 07:53:54 am »
Ah thank you, so if i cast a spell with this mana, in the next turns does this mana can be used for other spells or creature?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 07:55:59 am by Jeck79 »

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 08:38:36 am »
Ah thank you, so if i cast a spell with this mana, in the next turns does this mana can be used for other spells or creature?
No, if you cast a spell you've used up that mana and don't have it anymore.
Even if you don't use it, mana won't even make it to the next turn, outside of a few special abilities from certain other cards, as it is normally lost after each phase. For example tapping a Forest for green mana during your main phase and not using it then going to combat you've lost it and can't use it to cast Blossoming Defense.

You will, however, get to untap your land on your next turn under most normal circumstances in order to generate mana once again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 08:42:06 am by Landale »

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 06:34:34 pm »
It looks like you're making a typical beginner mistake of confusing mana and lands.  This is extremely common, and is one of the problems I deal with several times a year teaching new players, so don't feel bad.  I found thinking about the story being told really helps most beginners understand:

• Mana is a temporary form of power/energy/magic, however you want to think about it.
  • You can use mana to pay for magic spells, like summoning creatures or throwing a fireball at your opponent, but if you don't use it, it just goes away.
  • Mana typically comes from the land you connect with as a sorcerer.
  • Each turn, you can connect with a piece of land enough that you can then draw power from that land.  The more lands you connect with, the more powerful magic you can perform.
  • Once you've drawn on the power of a specific land and gained a mana from it, we tap it to show that it has been used for the turn, but you'll still be able to use it again next turn.
  • There are five types of lands that are most common and produce just the five basic forms of mana, White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green.
  • Some land, however, can provide you with more than one color of mana.  Mistvault Bridge connects a place with abundant water to a place of death and decay, so you can draw upon it once each turn to get blue mana or to get black mana.

Another thing that would be helpful would be to look at what a basic land actually does.  When I started learning Magic, an Island actually said "Tap: Add one blue mana to your mana pool." (It had the symbol for "tap" and "one blue mana", not the words, but you get the idea.)  That's what all basic lands actually mean, even now, but the game designers have tried to simplify it, which, unfortunately, can lead to confusion for beginners.