deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Doubt on "cards milled this way" effects  (Read 507 times)

EMaxxi

• Decks
Doubt on "cards milled this way" effects
« on: February 24, 2024, 02:58:38 pm »
I have a doubt on how cards that mill and then let you play/return to hand one or more cards "that were milled this way" interact with replacement effects.

Example 1:
If I cast Summons of Saruman for X>=7 and hit a Nexus of Fate, can I cast it or will it not count as "milled" bcs of its replacement ability?

Example 2:
I play Fallaji Archaelogist with Rest in Peace in play. Can I return a nonland, noncreature card I mill, since it doesn't specific that I have to return it from the graveyard.

Thanks

crimsonking

• Decks
Re: Doubt on "cards milled this way" effects
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 12:58:07 pm »
Example 1:
I believe you cannot cast Nexus of Fate, because you shuffle it back into your library and the library is a hidden zone.

Example 2:
I'd say yes, although I'm not 100% sure.
I know for sure that Grenzo, Dungeon Warden bypasses Rest in Peace, though. So I'd say this is the same.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 01:15:04 pm »
I confirm Example 1.
Jace's Mindseeker has the same exact wording of Summons of Saruman ("You may cast an instant or sorcery spell from among them without paying its mana cost.") and has the following ruling:
If the five cards are put into a public zone such as exile instead of a graveyard (perhaps due to the ability of Rest in Peace), you can cast one of those instant or sorcery cards from that zone. (2013-07-01)
The library is not a public zone (I've used hidden, which may not be the correct terminology, but the point still stands), so you can't cast Nexus of Fate.
Conversely, if the Example 2 involved Summons of Saruman, I'd say you can 100%. Since the wording of Fallaji Archaeologist is slightly different, I don't know for sure.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 03:32:38 pm »
Thanks.  ;D