deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Taking Sol Ring out of my commander decks - a reasoning.  (Read 2126 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Taking Sol Ring out of my commander decks - a reasoning.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 07:54:18 pm »
But then again you didn't answer my question which is ok. It'll be a yes or no because aren't you ahead in mana in either scenario? Now as the game progresses does it not occur to you that a player or the other players are also ramping? Or is ramping mad progressively only for sol-ring and not the other multitudes of cards that supplant ramp?
Both scenarios - Sol Ring and Farseek - had ramp but Sol Ring was 50% better by mid game and even more so later on, not to mention early game. Yes, if everyone ramps then everyone is ahead. But if three players are on Farseek and one is on Sol Ring you've still got the same 50% difference...
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

anjinsan

• Decks
Re: Taking Sol Ring out of my commander decks - a reasoning.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2024, 12:39:14 am »
Remember there is a chance to see the turn 1 sol ring and you need lands for this to happen. I don't know about you but I've known players who play with the incorrect amount of lands and mostly not enough.
Right so you're saying that Sol Ring isn't so powerful because some people play decks with so few lands that they can't cast it, meaning that it has no impact? Uh... you could apply that logic to any nonland card. It doesn't stop Sol Ring being powerful; in fact, it's pretty irrelevant to the discussion. When considering an individual card's impact on the game one has to assume optimal play (as much as it's possible to determine what that is). It's like saying a Ferrari isn't faster than roller skates because sometimes people forget to put tyres on it.

<stuff about shuffling>
I don't really understand what you're saying here but, again, how is this relevant? Firstly, we can't really consider incorrect shuffling since that's outside the rules of the game. Secondly, even if we did, how does it change the probabilities?

Yes it can be impactful ss it consistently impactful? No because most everyone can remember a game where it was but not a single one of use will remember the games where it wasn't. So much easier to constantly point at the impactfulness then to look at it as a whole.
Not so; I can definitely remember games where a turn one Sol Ring wasn't impactful. That doesn't mean it isn't still a bonkers card.

You seem to be saying that you don't think it's impactful because you don't think it's impactful, and everyone is overstating it because they've fallen prey to some delusion. Whilst the latter may actually be plausible, the former is a non-argument; I don't think you've actually put forward any real reason why having a card that costs half as much as the next-best ramp spell but ramps you by twice the amount isn't significantly more powerful than said ramp spell.

I am so confused. Do you not understand how much more 15 mana is over 10 mana? The discrepancy grows the further the game progresses! How is that not super lopsided? Let me take a wild guess.. 25.. nope that isn't it... 67.. nope that isn't correct either.... 2 nope that isn't correct either.. Screw it and I will guess 5 for final answer.[/qupte]Yeah, the answer to "do you not understand?" isn't "5", I think it's "no".

Now on that you guys can respond, the lurkers can lurk(got to love the negative drops from them) :) After this post I am done and moving on away from the boogy man. So go ahead and fire away :)
I don't really know why anyone votes or cares about voting but I suspect the reason you are getting downvoted is that (a) your posts are semi-coherent at best and it's not entirely clear what you're actually saying and (b) they make no sense, you're not presenting anything even resembling a rational argument, mostly just talking about irrelevant stuff like shuffling. If you want anyone to take you seriously, you'll have to try and put together something a bit clearer (and more logical!) I'm afraid.