deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: A question about Superfriends EDH  (Letto 584 volte)

Leonixious

• Decks
A question about Superfriends EDH
« il: Luglio 11, 2019, 03:17:03 pm »
Ok, so I have a few people in my playgroup and LGS regulars that like and have built Superfriends. But almost none of them play Honor-Worn Shaku.

Now I think it's a wonderful card in decks that run a lot of Legendary permanents. Am I wrong in assuming this?

I want to hear your opinions on this...is it a Mana rock in those types of decks? Or am I just crazy?
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: A question about Superfriends EDH
« Risposta #1 il: Luglio 11, 2019, 03:28:07 pm »
Since there was a rule change about Planeswalkers that give all the "legendary" supertype (it was with Ixalan I think), its a good mana rock for Superfriends, since it doesn't matter if a planeswalker is tapped or not (except maybe some rare corner cases).
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Risposta #2 il: Luglio 11, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »
I think it would depend on the meta a little.

If you're looking for a 3 drop mana rock, there are a lot of better options. Would you ever choose this over a Chromatic Lantern? Probably not. But if you have the decent ones covered and want more, superfriends is about the only place this could shine.

On the plus side for this, it does have the potential to generate a decent amount of mana. As Judaspriester rightly says, Planeswalkers being tapped is rarely significant.

The downsides as I see them are:

1) Superfriends tends to span at least 3 colours, usually all 5. Dedicating a slot to a rock that doesn't fix some or all colours doesn't seem good. 100 cards feels like a lot, but a deck soon fills up. Is this actually worth a slot? Especially as activating planeswalkers doesn't cost mana. Obviously more mana is good, but is a decent amount of colourless mana worth enough to give up the potential to fix?

2) It only generates a lot of mana if you have a lot of Planeswalkers (or more specifically, legendaries, but seeing as we're talking superfriends I'm making that assumption). This is why I think it is meta dependant. If they find that their walkers are sticking around then it seems good (as in, consistently having 3 or more on the battlefield). If they are consistently getting removed/destroyed, then it doesn't seem worth it.

TL;DR

There are better rocks out there at 3cmc, but if there was ever a place for Honor-Worn Shaku to shine, it's in Superfriends, especially if they find that their PWs aren't getting removed all that much.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Risposta #3 il: Luglio 11, 2019, 04:02:10 pm »
You have to be able to tap at least 2 planeswalkers for it to be as good as Thran Dynamo, which for one cmc more doesn't have the requirement of having a planeswalker to tap in order to produce the mana.
This space for rent.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Risposta #4 il: Luglio 11, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Honor-Worn Shaku is ridiculous in Norin the Wary.

I think it's a fine addition to a superfriends deck, but not necessary as there are tons of cheaper mana rocks, especially considering each colour combination now has its own Talisman thanks to Modern Horizons. And there's Fellwar Stone for 3 or more colours.