deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Strawmanning the Opponent  (Read 739 times)

WAYF4

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Strawmanning the Opponent
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:14 pm »
Strawmanning the Opponent

This deck flips at random between being a really fun-to-play artifact shenanigans deck, and a really "fun" to play against destroy-all-your-things deck. I wouldn't dream of stopping it from being either of those things.
I put this deck up for two reasons. One, I need advice on win conditions, which this deck doesn't do easily (Door to Nothingness is very powerful in some ways, and very clunky in others). Two, I think Reaper King is a highly underrated commander, and he deserves a day in the spotlight.

Note: I would prefer not to introduce any more flicker effects beyond the Ghostway that's already there. The engine of this deck is largely graveyard-based, while the Ghostway is just there for the rare occasions I have loads of scarecrows out somehow.

crimsonking

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Strawmanning the Opponent
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:08:50 pm »
Hi, I have myself a Scarecrow deck, here's the link:
https://deckstats.net/decks/54477/512434-scary-deck
Note that Reaper King allows for a penta-color deck but doesn't actually require all 5 colors to be cast, so I reduced them to three to make my mana base more stable.
Initially, I've removed white because the deck was tending too much towards an Esper build and I wanted something different. Then I realized I was using less and less green, Birthing Pod (that doesn't actually require green mana) being the only card that I really needed, so I dropped that too.
The deck is obviously quite different from yours but you could find some interesting hints anyway. I play many combos, you can find them listed in the description; feel free to pick whatever you want as your win condition.
As for me, looking at your list I think I need some mana reducer and I will find a slot for Etherium Sculptor.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:11:30 pm by crimsonking »

WAYF4

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 01:55:00 pm »
Your options for mana (Composite Golem, Metalworker and so on) seem pretty tasty. I should definitely think about them.
But on the subject of infinite mana combos, I've heard that Grand Architect goes infinite with Pili-Pala. Only problem for me is, short of having a Legacy Weapon already on the field, there aren't many ways I can abuse infinite mana to win the game. Maybe I should consider Saheeli's Directive...

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:17:20 pm »
Grand Architect is double blue and is not that impressive by itself. Pili-Pala is pretty weak too, so I prefer not to play that combo.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:46:34 am »
Your options for mana (Composite Golem, Metalworker and so on) seem pretty tasty. I should definitely think about them.
But on the subject of infinite mana combos, I've heard that Grand Architect goes infinite with Pili-Pala. Only problem for me is, short of having a Legacy Weapon already on the field, there aren't many ways I can abuse infinite mana to win the game. Maybe I should consider Saheeli's Directive...

Pili Pala + Grand Architect works great, but i'm not sure I would use it outside an artifact deck. since you've got 35 artifacts in total, it may work. Same goes for Saheeli's Directive. But for both cards, the color requirement might be a problem.

If you want to add some tutors, or switch some, here are some ideas: Enlightened Tutor, Worldly Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, Diabolic Intent, Arcum Dagsson, Muzzio, Visionary Architect, the mages (Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage, Treasure Mage)

You said you need some more flicker effects: Conjurer's Closet and Deadeye Navigator would be the obvious choices here. If you're also fine with bouncing Equilibrium and Sunken Hope could also be interesting.

How does the manabase work? any issues here? If yes, Fellwar Stone and Exotic Orchard could already help without investing much money.
And a word to Temple of the False God: For me this card is a famous noob trap. {2} out of one very cheap land seems very nice. But the problem is the condition. Even if you manage to play 1 land every turn, its a dead land drop until turn 5, and every missed land drop makes things worse. Because of this, I wouldn't play that card outside a deck with heavy land ramp like landfall.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:49:19 am by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 09:10:08 am »
Universal Automaton is a great addition, I'll add to my deck too. Thanks for the idea!

WAYF4

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 07:08:20 am »

WAYF4

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 06:26:45 am »
(Gonna test out Yarok to make sure he does okay as a second Panharmonicon. I've wanted a Scourglass in here for ages, but didn't actually consider it until I saw Soulscour used as a win con in other Reaper King decks)

Revision 9

Added/removed cards:
-1 Kuldotha Forgemaster
+1 Scourglass

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:54:27 am »
Cards I'd cut:
Endless Sands - too slow and mana intensive, and not even repeatable
Rattleblaze Scarecrow - mana cost is too high
Tezzeret, Artifice Master - weak