deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Kess Token Storm  (Read 457 times)

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
[EDH / Commander] Kess Token Storm
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:53 pm »
Kess Token Storm

I am building a Kess token storm deck, and I currently need to make some final cuts. I am really stuck on what to remove since this isn't a very fleshed out archetype and I really like a lot of the cards in this deck. If you could suggest some cards to cut in order to make it down to about 65 cards that would be really helpful. Since it is a strange archetype for grixis, if you have any cards you really think I should add (Skirk Prospector ?) (Dark Prophecy ?) I would be open to any suggestions as well. If you want an overview of the deck the is one below ;D.

This deck is in an archetype I haven't really seen in grixis. It seems to play out more like a Wort, the Raidmother deck than anythings else. The general plan of the deck is to make a bunch of tokens either from Young Pyromancer effects and playing a bunch of instant and sorcery spells, or from one shot effects like Hordeling Outburst. Kess is a great commander for this deck because she allows those one shot token effects which only generate a few tokens on their own to become two shot effects and therefore much more valuable. Once you have created a bunch of tokens, there are two main plans for winning. The first is the obvious plan of playing something like an Eldrazi Monument and just beating down. The other more fun method of winning involves what I would call the token storm plan. You generally want a couple of Young Pyromancer effects out to amass a small army (get it) of tokens. You then use those tokens for mana by either sacrificing them to cards like Phyrexian Altar, or by casting Battle Hymn. You can then use that maa to cast more spells, which makes more tokens and it just kind of snowballs. Some cards that help the snowball are Zada, Hedron Grinder effects and targeted cantrips (Expedite) which let you draw a card for each creature you control. The endgame involves either generating enough mana to Comet Storm people to death, Making enough tokens with an Impact Tremors in play, or creating an infinite combo. The combos in this deck are The Locust God + Skullclamp + Ashnod's Altar to draw your whole deck then win with Reiterate + Battle Hymn/Mana Geyser to generate infinite mana which wins with the Comet Storm among other things. There are also some wonky Ral, Storm Conduit + copy effects combos. The copy effects are to help the storm kill as well.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

Jace27

• Decks

Jace27

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Kess Token Storm
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:32 am »

HotPotato

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:17 am »
I am not really sure of myself, but it seems like you are trying many different things with this one. It seems so fun to play though ! Really ambitious, I like it.

Okay so maybe, for the spellslinger side of things, I think you might want to consider putting a Ruby or Sapphire Medallion instead of another ramp card (Maybe the Fellwar Stone ? I am not sure.). It might help you a lot when casting all those spells in one turn and might even be of a greater help than the Talismans. Also, Jori En is a wonderful card engine. (Let's you draw cards during your opponents turn if it's your second spell ;)

Then, I a am not really sure about the Zada effects. Sure, it's really great when it works and it combines well with your cantrips, but they have to be played and stick for an entire turn to be really helpful, and because your deck won't have much creature, the opponents might save their removal just for them so ... I don't think they are that much of an help, but it really depends on your meta. If it brings you fun (and I am sure Zada and Mirrorwing Dragon delivers in that category), let them in ! Same goes for Thousand-Year Storm. It's an enchantement that costs 6 and does nothing the turn you play it, most of the time, so it's hard to get value from it (and that's sad because I want that card to stick a turn so baaaad !!).

It's just my opinion, but I feel like cards like Subterrean Tremors (love the art, but RIP your tokens) and Soulblade Djinn are not that good in that deck. The first one seems like a nonbo, and the second looks a bit too much win more.

So, if I were you, I would take away :
- Zada, Hedron Grinder
- Thousand-Year Storm
- Mirrorwing Dragon
- Crimson Wisps
- Expedite
- Fellwar Stone
- Subterrean Tremors
- Rakdos Signet
- Soulblade Djinn
- Chromatic Lantern (a good card indeed, but with three color and a solid manabase it's not that necessary I think)

And add :
- Jori En, Ruin Diver
- Opt (Filter, that's always good. Or Serum Vision if you like but the sorcery speed is more prohibitive )
- Thought Scour ( Lets you put two cards in your graveyard, almost like drawing 3, at instant speed )
- Ruby Medallion and / or Sapphire Medallion

And that's it ! Hope that helped, and have a nice day ;)
" The worst part isn’t the pain, or the smell, or even the fear of death. It’s hearing the clatter of bone on stone and knowing the bones are yours. "

Jace27

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:45 am »

Revision 4

Thanks for all of your help. I agree completely with all of your suggestions especially the addition of Ruby Medallion because that card is nuts for enabling Reiterate combos. I haven't added any lands yet, but this is the final shell for the non-lands of the deck. If you have any specific land suggestions (I'm definitely playing Kher Keep) that would also be very helpful
Added/removed cards:
-1 Crimson Wisps
-1 Expedite
-1 Fabricate
-1 Fellwar Stone
-1 Mirrorwing Dragon
-1 Reality Scramble
-1 Shadow Rift
-1 Slip Through Space
-1 Soulblade Djinn
-1 Subterranean Tremors
-1 Thousand-Year Storm
-1 Zada, Hedron Grinder
+1 Jori En, Ruin Diver
+1 Ponder
+1 Preordain
+1 Ruby Medallion