deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Tips & recommendations for balancing my deck  (Read 466 times)

nathan.sessions

• Decks
Tips & recommendations for balancing my deck
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Would like this deck to be mostly casual, perhaps with a little kitchen table, friendly competitiveness. Basically, I don't want my play group to hate be me because its too powerful, but I also still want to win.

Not sure if I have right amount of lands, ramps, removal, wipes, card draw, synergies, etc.

EDITS - Added groups

Full Decklist
https://deckstats.net/decks/176338/1982746-silas-rebbec-artifacts

Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:12:51 pm by nathan.sessions »

credion

Re: Tips & recommendations for balancing my deck
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:16 am »
Hi, seems cool to my eyes.
If I would play it, i would add some maybe one or two boardwipes and card draw spells or mechanism with artifacts and couldnt resist to add some artifacts that can copy activated and trigger abilities.

Coercive Portal would do card draw and boardwipe and if some player gets out of hand or you feel you are behind it resets the board very well leaving you usually with most cards in hand after the carnage.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:09:46 am by credion »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:05:57 am »
Not sure if I have right amount of lands, ramps, removal, wipes, synergies, etc.

Especially for this, there is an easy trick: Add custom groups to your deck and then group the cards you have by function. Ramp, removal, lands, etc. This has proven for me 3 advantages:
1. you sometimes already notice weakspots this way (oh, why I only have 4 removal cards added and none of them works against artifacts?)
2. If someone else takes a look at your deck, its most likely easier for them, to understand why you have added a specific card
3. if you notice cards that doesn't really fit into any category, or you end up with categories that have just 2-3 cards inside, you have most likely spotted cards that doesn't really fit into your deck and could therefore be replaced.

Besides that, I have just taken a short look at the deck, but by doing that I haven't noticed any obvious flaws. Especially the land base looks very good compared to the budget. Of course we could always optimize here, but I'm already very pleased to see that the deck doesn't contain the common low-budget tap lands.  :)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

nathan.sessions

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:50:00 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I took your suggestions and updated the post with grouping for the different types of cards in the deck.

I needed another board wipe so took out Cranial Plating and added Austere Command. Looking into other switches I can make.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:48:52 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I took your suggestions and updated the post with grouping for the different types of cards in the deck.

I needed another board wipe so took out Cranial Plating and added Austere Command. Looking into other switches I can make.

Okay, I think you got me wrong with the grouping. you can do that directly within the deckbuilder. The result should afterwards looking like this:
https://deckstats.net/decks/112190/1862054-yurlok-group-slug/

nathan.sessions

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 07:15:55 pm »
Lol. I wasn't aware of the customizable categories. This definitely helps see where I can pare down some cards and add new ones.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:35:04 pm »
Lol. I wasn't aware of the customizable categories. This definitely helps see where I can pare down some cards and add new ones.

That looks much better.  ;)

What about replacing Pentavus with Thopter Assembly? Its a little more conditional, but offers the tokens much cheaper.
Obelisk of Esper could be replaced with Skyclave Relic or Coalition Relic. Both have an interesting upside.

I would really love to see Krark-Clan Ironworks within the deck, but it will most likely bust the budget. Combined with the Thopter Foundry (which is already in) and Sword of the Meek you could build some interesting combos.

For removal, I really love Tragic Slip when playing black. But it has the "downside" that you can't reuse it with silas.