deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to Demonology: 101 - Comments  (Read 1498 times)

Comment Bot

How to Demonology: 101 - Comments
« on: October 09, 2015, 01:24:44 am »
This is the comment topic for How to Demonology: 101.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für How to Demonology: 101.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Manticore

• Decks
Re: How to Demonology: 101 - Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:24:44 am »
Bloodgift Demon seems to be a better option than Indulgent Tormentor.

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:30:17 am »
Bloodgift is very good too, but I choosed Indulgent Tormentor instead because it forces your opponent to sacrifice a creature or take 3 damage to him/herself. It kinda works well with Desecration Demon and I personally prefer my opponents to lose a creature or 3 lifes in order to prevent my hand advantage instead of just drawing one more card.

Andaron

• Decks
Re: How to Demonology 101 - Comments
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:43 am »
I love your deck, but it`s too expensive for me. Is there a good alternative for Cavern of Souls and Vexing Devil? So far I went with Ancient Ziggurat  and Skirsdag High Priest as replacement.

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:56:22 am »
It is too expensive for me aswell haha #PrayForCavernOfSoulsReprint. But yeah, Ancient Ziggurat seems a good budget version of Cavern of Souls. It is very hard to replace Vexing Devil  while keeping the devil/demon sinergy. The only option would be using Forge Devil but I think that card is bad and too situational, but your can use things like Bloodcrazed Goblin if your wanna keep it aggressive. Maybe Manaforge Cinder to ramp a little?

Andaron

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 04:51:12 pm »
Yeah I know Vexing Devil is quite blast here. I'm also not so happy with my current replacement (Skirsdag High Priest) here. I'm not so sure about Bloodcrazed Goblin. It can be hard here to deal damage in the first rounds and it's too weak for late game. What is your opinion on Squealing Devil or Gibbering Fiend though? Sure it's 2 Mana but maybe it works. Is there a specific reason you picked Shadowborn Demon over Archfiend of Depravity? How do you manage the creature sacrificing of Shadowborn Demon?

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:35:43 am »
Well I think the two devils are not quite bad, but I kinda like Gibbering Fiend over Squealing Devil since this one requires you to pay its cost, pay X to increase a creature's power in X just during this very turn and then another black mana to keep it alive. Seems too much mana invested on a single creature just to gain a few attack points. And it doesn't even have Flash to cast it mid-combat. 6 mana for a 2/1 and +3/+0 until the end of this turn to just one of the other creatures? Nah.

To be honest, I just picked Shadowborn Demon becuase I loved that it is a 5/6 flyer for 5 mana and that it destroyes a creature entering the battefield. Archfiend of Depravity sure it's good, I like it. But I'm not with that 4 toughness, seems kinda low and makes it vulnerable to things like Flame Slash or Thunderbolt. When I print proxies and test the deck I'll know if the Archfiend is better that the Demon or not.

Anyways, thanks for your comments and suggestions! :D

Andaron

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:13:15 pm »
Happy new year to you :)
Oh no. You don't need to pay 6 mana for the Squealing Devil. It just says you MAY pay additional mana. It also doesn't say that you have to spend an additional black mana also. Just one of the two mana has to be black in order to let it live. You spent BR and get a Devil with fear. If you get it later in the game you can pay more to get the additional bonus aswell. I recently stumpled upon Rain of Gore. You might take a look at it for your sideboard. It can be quite fun if you play against white. Also Pain Magnification might be an option.

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:55:01 pm »
Happy new year to you too :D

I know there's no need to pay 6 mana for the Squealing Devil, it was an example. But yeah, it seems a good budget option. Rain of Gore sure seems a good sideboard, I'm including it. Pain Magnificatoin its alright if the matchup allows you to attack a few times with most creatures of the deck.

AlexL225

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 07:14:26 am »
Instead of using slaughter games would extirpate work nearly as well for a fraction of the mana?

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:22:05 am »
I would highly recommend delving into Innstrad and the Shadows over Innistrad sets. Reaper from the abyss is a creature that will help you dispose of dangerous threats simply by offing your own creatures or the opponent's easily with kill spells. Sin prodder is great because if you do have strong demons in your deck then you can sneak in lots of damage against your opponent. Gibbering fiend is a good way to deal plenty of damage over time and the best part is that when you have multiple copies the effects will stack.

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:27:39 am »
@AlexL225 That's a good idea, I forgot about that card, thanks :D

@G. Moto I considered Reaper From the Abyss for this deck instead of Ob Nixilis Unshackled, but I'm testing it with proxies. Reaper is probably a better option thanks to that sweet Morbid ability, but we're testing yet. Sin Podder was in fact in the maindeck until a few days ago, but I realized that if you reveal a land your opponent can just make you throw it away receiving 0 damage and having you with masa issues. It was a fun and effectve card anyways, maybe the little Podder comes back in the future.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:28 am »
Have you considered playing sin prodder in a deck that has cards such as contingency plan and naga oracle? Sure they can throw away your stuff but if you stack the cards right you can always make them choose to throw away your big stuff till the point that it hurts. This way (as the card is intended to work), either you GET your big stuff or they take the hit for making you LOSE your big stuff. Also you'll already know what you're going to draw next turn anyway so it's of no consequence to you. Also here's a nice little thing about the sin prodder; it's ability happens before the draw phase. So if the opponent lets you keep your card then that means you just drew 2 cards using a RED CREATURE. Is that insane or what?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:20:06 pm by G. Moto »

Goofy Perverso

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:07:21 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I really like Sin Prodder, I considered him like a red and somewhat better Dark Confidant. I kicked him out of the deck because it provided my opponent the ability to make me discard land cards while they receive 0 damage by doing that. It's not such a huge deal at turn 4 and msybe having a few more lands in hand, but I judt disliked that possibility. Anyways, I'm still testing out the deck and probably the Sin Prodder comes back 'cause it's just too good and the chance of showing a land card with his ability turn 4 and forth iskinda unlikely.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »
  I see what you mean. But if you're worried about losing lands you could always throw in some drownyard temples. You can discard them yourself for card effects and if they get discarded you can bring them back later on your opponent's turn. Just some food for thought there. What else have you noticed about the deck so far, any honorable mentions?