deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: powerful/fun cards with drawbacks?  (Leído 2114 veces)

angorashi

• Decks
powerful/fun cards with drawbacks?
« en: Junio 08, 2016, 09:59:56 am »
cmon, lets hear it for avaricious dragon, hunted horror, abyssal persecutor, master of the feast, goldnight castigator, dread slag, sire of insanity.. These are fun cards and I wanna know what else is out there :)

NathanJ

• Decks
Re: powerful/fun cards with drawbacks?
« Respuesta #1 en: Junio 08, 2016, 10:26:42 am »
The ones that come to mind right off the bat are Declaration in Stone and Anguished Unmaking, because I've been running them. The first gets rid of a lot but gives the other guy card advantage. Nothing quite as lame as helping them draw another copy of what you just exiled. The second can feel like punching yourself in the gut to get rid of just about anything you want. Also, almost every board wipe. Those can hurt everyone. The Gitrog Monster can be another. If you start missing land draws, he can quickly ruin your day.

Link666

• Decks

entropize

• Decks
« Respuesta #3 en: Junio 08, 2016, 11:30:33 am »
My favorites are desecration demon, bitterblossom, and goblin assault. I know goblin assault does not have much of a drawback, but having to attack with all goblins is a pain at times when you need to defend, and desecration demon hurts in multiplayer. I even once killed myself with too many bitterblossoms on the field and not enough life gain. There is also eldrazi monument.
« Última modificación: Junio 08, 2016, 11:35:29 am por entropize »

DelverMage

• Decks
« Respuesta #4 en: Junio 08, 2016, 01:05:34 pm »

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Respuesta #5 en: Junio 09, 2016, 06:42:05 am »
In competitive modern, a few come to mind.

Red: Goblin Guide
Blue: Mistbind Clique (if your only other faerie is killed it just dies upon resolving, and unplayable without another faerie)
Black: Dark Confidant, Bitterblossom
Green: Beast Within
White: Path to Exile

« Última modificación: Junio 09, 2016, 06:58:10 pm por kourinick »
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Respuesta #6 en: Junio 09, 2016, 07:53:05 am »
   Here are just a few that I found just looking at the SOI block- engulf the shore (cause it wipes out your creatures as well), behold the beyond (since you're giving up your entire hand to get only 3 cards), creeping dread (because it's a mandatory effect and not a may effect), morkrut necropod (big creature that requires a lot of upkeep), goldnight castigator (dealing that extra damage can hurt),and fevered visions (since letting your opponent draw more cards in the hopes they'll take damage can be bad depending on how you play this card). 

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Respuesta #7 en: Junio 09, 2016, 09:10:54 am »
"Fun card with a drawback" means we get to talk about my all time favorite card: Confusion in the Ranks.

Upside: pure chaos.

Down side: indiscriminate chaos
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

angorashi

• Decks
« Respuesta #8 en: Junio 09, 2016, 09:17:56 am »
I dig em :)

hahaha confusion in the ranks looks like a total blast to play

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
« Respuesta #9 en: Junio 09, 2016, 05:22:57 pm »
Mindwrack Demon can be a really cool card but if you don't have the delirium trigger active then it becomes tricky to play. I've had situations where my graveyard wasn't diverse enough for delirium but he was the only powerful creature in my hand.

I don't think Goldnight Castigator and I will ever be friends. I played her in a limited deck at the SOI sealed release event and sometimes that was a good thing and sometimes I was sitting at the loser's table talking to her like "I thought you were on my team?"
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #10 en: Junio 09, 2016, 06:03:48 pm »
  @skeri, the trick is to either give her to your opponent or Run her in a (R/W)/(R/W/B) life gain style of deck. This way you gain so much life that losing 8-10 life per spell won't be able to hinder you too much. That or just negate her effects and make her a big flying 4/9 beatstick.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Respuesta #11 en: Junio 09, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
Mindwrack Demon can be a really cool card but if you don't have the delirium trigger active then it becomes tricky to play. I've had situations where my graveyard wasn't diverse enough for delirium but he was the only powerful creature in my hand.

I don't think Goldnight Castigator and I will ever be friends. I played her in a limited deck at the SOI sealed release event and sometimes that was a good thing and sometimes I was sitting at the loser's table talking to her like "I thought you were on my team?"

I want to make a standard aggro deck with Goldnight Castigator ! If I were to do it, like G.Moto said, you would have to use a card that compensates for the disadvantage. Like Orbs of Warding.  It is very playable in Modern! It's a bit like a self-harm version of Furnace of Rath. If you want to use it, I will think of a few combinations to use. I was thinking about a mono-red deck, risky, but then so is mono-red in standard.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #12 en: Junio 09, 2016, 07:14:06 pm »
  So if you give goldnight castigator the furnace of rath, would you receive 4x the damage? That's crazy.....but if you can make it work then roll with it. Heck I'll help you out if you're interested, I love building decks that people would not expect.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Respuesta #13 en: Junio 09, 2016, 07:22:54 pm »
@G.Moto Maybe make a Boros version of the deck and run stuff like Deflecting Palm. Then if they try to Lightning Bolt or Fiery Temper you for 12, you can redirect it back to them.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Respuesta #14 en: Junio 09, 2016, 09:00:27 pm »
  @kourinick, and that's exactly how'd you use that card. See you're already on the way to making the deck.