deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: [Modern] Angel Warfare from the new chick.... any great ideas? Advice welcomed.  (Letto 339 volte)

nycpeach1

• Decks
Angel Warfare

Kicking ass and taking names.  Hopefully.  Would y'all help a girl out?

Hiya My Passionate Nerdsters!  New to the site/forum, 1st shot at a Modern deck.  Please take a look, share your wisdom, say "howdy-do" etc.....  Thx in advance.   

-nycpeach
-nycpeach, just your friendly, neighborhood, nerd-star.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Hi! Welcome to the forum :)

For your first shot at a modern deck this is pretty sweet! the Angel / Human synergy is a sweet one that gives you a lot of defensive power early, and finishing power late.

If you wanted to push the human theme further, you could try Thalia's Lieutenant and Gather the Townsfolk. For that matter, either Thalia (Thalia, Heretic Cathar or Thalia, Guardian of Thraben) would probably be great in this deck!

On the angel side, Archangel Avacyn is pretty amazing (especially with Flash) and Baneslayer Angel fits the theme here beautifully.

Well I hope you find this helpful, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Jabilac

• Decks
You've got some nice synergies already worked in and KouriNick, as usual, is has made some great suggestions.

Something else to consider is your mana base.  You might have some success with Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx or Emeria, the Sky Ruin.  Both reward you for playing Mono-White and Emeria, the Sky Ruin offers late game advantage that is hard to overcome.

Mirran Crusader is something I would add in.  WW for devotion, protection from Path to Exile and a lot of relevant Modern threats (Tarmogoyf, Scavenging Ooze, Siege Rhino, Kitchen Finks, Grim Flayer, ect.) and Double strike to finish games fast.  Mirran Crusader equipped with either Sword is a 2-3 turn clock for almost any opponent. 

Journey to Nowhere or Temporal Isolation are good 2cmc creature "removal" options but Path to Exile is the best Modern white removal available.  You could also use Condemn, Immolating Glare, Blessed Alliance, or Celestial Flare.

Lyonsbane

• Decks
Angel Warfare

Kicking ass and taking names.  Hopefully.  Would y'all help a girl out?

Hiya My Passionate Nerdsters!  New to the site/forum, 1st shot at a Modern deck.  Please take a look, share your wisdom, say "howdy-do" etc.....  Thx in advance.   

-nycpeach

I remember when I started MTG and tried to make a working pure white angel deck.
It did not turned out too well ahah.

First of all, the mana curve.
You got 4 turn 1 drop, 4 turn 2 drop, and the rest is all on 3+ CMC.
In modern, this means that you're basically a sitting duck in a format where the first three turns are the most important ones.

Also, remember that human is usually a green/white/blue tribe, so don't limit yourself to white only.
Mix up the things.

I'll dismember the deck (wall of text incoming):

Cavern of souls is good, keep it.

Angelic Destiny is an aura.
All auras suffer the same problem: the 2x1; luckily you can recover it if the creature dies.
But you still "lost" the turn in the grand scheme of things.
If you really like it, I would keep in a single copy, as  a finisher for late game or when you're in control (sort of).

Avacyn, Angel of Hope is a powerhouse, but it's... mana expensive.
Like, really really expensive.
You need to cheat her in game somehow.
Green can help you do that.

Captain of the Watch is a so-so addition (and extremely costly).
Yeah, you use a lot of warrior humans on the deck, but you need to focus on a game strategy: do I use the humans as a temporary meat shield while I ramp mana up to put angels on the field to finish off my opponent?
Or do I use the humans as both a starter AND finisher, with angels being a sort of "supportative" figure in the deck?

Cathars' Crusade is an enchantment (so it has a sort of "protection" in his own way), costly, but still effective.
Not bad not good.

Champion of the Parish is a good turn1 drop... for a pure human deck.
If you want to play angels, you need mana, and if you want mana, you need accelerations.
And all good mana dorks sit at 1 mana.
A 2 copy of the card would suffice.

Day of Judgment, a wrath I guess you wanna use when Avacyn is on the field.
Costly, makes the job done.
It's ok I guess.

Gideon Jura is... expensive.
Again.
Too expensive for too little advantage, there are better version of him.

Gideon's Avenger, expensive, body under average for his CMC, with the premise that he can grow.
Realistically, he won't, since he'll probably die at the first block.
Even if he grows, a spot removal can works wonders since he has not protection on his own.

Grand Abolisher, a good hatebear/control (sort of) card.
Good body, nice effect, good CMC.
Keep it, maybe in x2, since the effect is redundant.

Linvala, Keeper of Silence, my favourite card ever.
Solid body, good CMC, good effect, keep it but in x1.

Oblivion ring, you got no flickering effect so it loses a lot of value.
It's a spot removal with sorcery speed, too slow and expensive.
I would cut it altogether.

Odric, Master Tactician, loves the "swarm" tactics, and you ain't swarming that much (unless the games goes for 20+ turns and you start to have 20 mana).
I would cut it altogether.

Sword of Feast and Famine/Sword of War and Peace, nice equipment pieces, works wonder in a lot of situation.
I would diversify them with other swords, tho.

Proposed changes:

-1 Angelic Destiny
-1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
-2 Captain of the Watch
-1/-2 Cathars' Crusade
-2/-4 Champion of the Parish
-1 Day of Judgment
-2 Gideon Jura
-4 Gideon's Avenger
-2 Grand Abolisher
-1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
-4 Oblivion Ring
-4 Odrin, Master Tactician
-1 Sword of Feast and Famine
-1 Sword of War and Peace

Now for the replacement, I would go for a Green/White deck.

Noble Hierarch/Avacyn's Pilgrim: pretty self explanatory: pimp the mana up.
Noble is a staple for every bant or selenya deck, but she costs money.
Pilgrim is the cheaper version of her.

Path to Exile, the strongest spot removal in modern for white.

Dragon's Eye Sentry: she will buy you time.
She can't attack, but has a wonderful body for her cost and first strike.
FIRST STRIKE ON A 1CMC DROP!

Kytheon, Hero of Akros or Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to replace Gideon Jura.
The first is a creature that goes well tematically with the "attack en masse", the second is just a better version of Gideon.

Mikaeus, the Lunarch: a modulable drop that can be a powerhouse or a buffer for your creatures.

Thraben Inspector, solid body for a turn1 drop, and can give you a clue to draw cards in dead turns.
Remember that white's weakness is the lack of way to draw cards.

Warden of the First Tree, a modulable creature that can become a massive powerhouse if left unchecked.

Weathered Wayfarer, one of my favourite monowhite ramp, can help you thin the deck.
Not so easy to use tho, unlike Noble Hierarch.

Hamlet Captain, a buffer for the humans.

Knight of the Holy Nimbus, one of my favourite card.
Attacks damn well, and he never dies, unless the opponent decides to keep the mana open.

Knight of the White Orchid, the toughter cousing of Weathered Wayfarer.
Can fetch you a land, even a shock land.

Mayor of Avabruck, another buffer for the humans.
This one is passive.

Relic Seeker, wanna get those swords?
Go get those swords!

Thalia's Lieutenant, get a counter on everybody and pumps herself up.

Dauntless Cathar, recycle herself by putting a flying spirit on the battlefield.

Fiend Hunter, a spot removal with both legs, arms, and a warhammer.

Somberwald Sage, because I heard you like to ramp.

Thalia, Heretic Cathar, holy shit this card is broken.

Tireless Tracker, good body, nice landfall effect, can grow.

Angelic Page, it's, well, an angel.
A little one.

Emancipation Angel, sort of "flicker" your average human so that all the buffers can be activated again.

Angel of Jubilation, a solid buffer.

Archangel of Tithes, holy shit she's annoying for the opponent, yet extremely valuable.

Gisela, the Broken Blade and extremely powerful body.
Too bad she dies to Bolt.

Archangel Avacyn, a powerful, but risky card.
Be prepared to lose your board if played unproperly.

Baneslayer Angel one of the best angels out there for his CMC.

Herald of War, tricky to get in play properly, but once she's setted, you can play the deck for (almost) free.

Sigarda, Heron's Grace this angel was made for the human tribe.

Exalted Angel, can be sort of tricked into play via morphing.

Angel of Glory's Rise, wanna swarm the field?

Iona, Shield of Emeria, even more costly than Avacyn, yet when she enters the battlefield, it's game over.

Entreat the Angels, if draw and casted as miracle, can win you the game.

Now, if you want to cheat creatures in play for free...
Why don't you add a nice 4x of Descendants' Path ?
It allows you to play a permanent from your topdeck during the upkeep for no cost.
So, you got a lil' innocent Angelic Page on the field and an Avacyn awaiting for you on the top of your library?
Surprise, you got an Avacyn on the field for free.
This works well with Mutavault (since you can activate it at the beginning of your upkeep), and it will retain BOTH the angel and human subtype.
Alas, another way you have to cheat things into play is Windbrisk Heights.
It enters the battefield tapped (slowing you down), but hidewaying an Emeria and casting it the next turn for free is sweet.
That's all I can think off right now.

nycpeach1

• Decks
How can I thank you all enough?  Okay, no.  I will not give you my cards.

Sorry for the late reply.... for some reason it doesn't let me know when there has been a response to my post. 

ALL very solid suggestions.  Took out Jura, added Ally of Zendikar x2.  Added Thalia, Guardian of Thraben x3 and Thalia, Heretic Cathar x1 but only b/c obviously she needs some friends just like her.  Like, three more of her and four of Thalia's Lieutenant?!  That's a pajama party I want to be at.

Didn't even KNOW about relic seeker, so thanks for that (new chick, remember?).

Question.... what about putting back 1 Jura, adding 1 Goldmane, the 2 Ally of Zendikars are there already and one Deploy the Gatewatch?  Yes?  No?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Again, thank you and I promise to be more diligent about checking back.

-nycpeach

-nycpeach, just your friendly, neighborhood, nerd-star.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Welcome back and I'm glad you were happy with the suggestions!

As for the plainswalker plan, I think it's a neat idea, but might make a better sideboard plan than Plan A. That way game one you can beat your opponent down with Thalia's Angels (in case you wanted to change the deck name :P ), then when your opponent brings in all their board wipes and removal in game 2, you shock them with all your plainswalkers.

If you wanted to go the Deploy the Gatewatch route, you'll want to diversify your plainswalker types a bit (since you can't have 2 different Gideon's out at once :/ ). Thankfully, there's another awesome mono-white plainswalker you can bring in Elspeth! Elspeth Tirel, Elspeth, knight-Errant, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion are her 3 iterations, and all 3 kick some serious ass! Few cards can close out a game as well as a resolved Elspeth, Sun's Champion, and with your army of humans to defend her, she should be able to stick around pretty well. I know 6 mana is a lot, but as a top end / card to be found off Deploy the Gatewatch, she's perfect.

So maybe when the dust clears, your sideboard looks something like this;

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
2 Sword of War and Peace
1 Day of Judgement
3 Deploy the Gatewatch
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Elspeth Tirel
2 Gideon jura
2 Ajani Goldmane
1 Oath of Gideon (because fun cards are fun)

Might be something fun to at least try out! Let me know what you think, and no worries if it takes a while ;P
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.