deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: Budget Merfolk  (Letto 349 volte)

DarkLotus

• Decks
Budget Merfolk
« il: Marzo 19, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »

DarkLotus

• Decks
Re: Budget Merfolk - Comments
« Risposta #1 il: Marzo 20, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »
If anyone sees any changes that should be made, please notify me.

Inphyy77

• Decks
« Risposta #2 il: Marzo 20, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »
Also, you have 62 cards listed - cut some Islands. As for changes, I think if you're trying to race on a budget, Vapor Snag snag is better than Bident of Thassa, Mana Leak is weaker than Spell Pierce (which is very cheap with the MM17 reprint, and hits most relevant spells like removal). Merfolk Sovereign is cute, but I don't know about the four copies.. Maybe Coralhelm Commander or Spreading Seas?

Ultimately, if we knew your budget, I think we could have some better input. =)

DarkLotus

• Decks
« Risposta #3 il: Marzo 21, 2017, 02:55:56 am »
I agree with you on putting in the spreading seas, but anyone who wants to make a competitive deck should know that it's not going to be the most budget. This is the most competitive I could make a merfolk deck for $70. No, spell pierce is not better than mana leak because mana leak targets any spell and with spell pierce, you can sadly only target noncreature spells. What about that one green deck you always play against that gets out Worldspine Wurm on turn four, you can't spell pierce that. Bident of Thassa is extraordinarily important for keeping your opponent open for attack in late game, especially when you don't get spreading seas or sea's claim during a game, this is also where merfolk sovereign steps in with the unblockable. I appreciate your input, I do think I will be taking out two Islands. I made this deck for anyone on a budget, I am not, although I am buying cards right now to put together a merfolk deck, and I will comment on how it plays in real time.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: Budget Merfolk
« Risposta #4 il: Marzo 21, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »
Hi!
For a budget list, this is still really solid! I like the additions of Bident of Thassa and Cold-Eyed Selkie to make up for the card draw since the deck doesn't have Silvergil Adept.

Aquitect's Will is a card I've always thought could be interesting in a Merfolk deck, and it definitely fits the budget theme. It doesn't have the same "destroy-esque" effect as Seas's claim or Spreading seas, but it draws you a card for 1 mana, turns on islandwalk, and is a merfolk spell for Meerow Reejery. Just something to think about :)

As for the whole Mana leak vs. Spell Pierce thing... I think what Inphy77 was getting at is that Spell Pierce is better for countering the cards that a Merfolk deck needs to be most worried about, namely removal and sweepers like Wrath of God / Anger of the Gods. I know mana leak makes them pay more, but it harder for a Merfolk deck to hold up 2 mana than it is to hold up 1 for Spell Pierce. In the end though, a lot of it comes down to your local meta. If the Worldspire Wurm deck is popular where you play and you have a hard time beating it, then Mana leak is going to be better for you there than Spell Pierce (or maybe even consider Vapor Snag).

Anyway, I hope you found this helpful, and good luck! :)   
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.