deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: [Modern] My second deck, I could use some help :)  (Letto 478 volte)

flavourin

• Decks
[Modern] My second deck, I could use some help :)
« il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:04:26 pm »
so this is my second deck. I'm new at magic but I've worked a lot on this one... I suppose it can't be a competitive deck, but i would like to make it at least interesting. I feel that i can't make it any better, so now it's time to ask the community for some help :).

https://deckstats.net/decks/93137/866842-expansion-crusade
« Ultima modifica: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:08:16 pm da flavourin »

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [Modern] My second deck, I could use some help :)
« Risposta #1 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »
If you would post the deck, that would be very helpful in us helping you
Nils is the God I worship

flavourin

• Decks
« Risposta #2 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:08:46 pm »
ups! xD. sorry, now it's done

Soren841

• Decks
« Risposta #3 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:10:07 pm »
First impressions: it actually looks pretty sweet for ur second deck! Nice job ;D I'll look through it more in depth

Soren841

• Decks
« Risposta #4 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:14:40 pm »
Drop 1 Revenant for a 4th Crypt Ghast and drop Sheoldred for  a Momentous fall. Then remove both Harmonize and add 3 Read the Bones

flavourin

• Decks
« Risposta #5 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:16:40 pm »
Thank you! I've worked on it for like a month... it started as a monoblack and ended like this. But I can only play against my girlfriend (who is also new), so I lack a lot of experience. I played on a tournament right after I had start playing magic (of course I lost everything), and I keep thinking how would my deck defeat the decks and diferent strategies I encountered then, but I didn't have the chance to try it becouse of laking time.

I will wait for your impressions and suggestions :)

flavourin

• Decks
« Risposta #6 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:19:38 pm »
Oh, thanks! I will try it.

I get the harmonize and sheoldred part, but could you explain why do you think that it would be better to have more crypt ghast instead of one revenant?

Soren841

• Decks
« Risposta #7 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »
It's 2 extra mana for what is essentially a Crypt Ghast. Trust me, you won't use the second ability as much as you think. I would actually also replace the two remaining Revenants with 2 Liliana of the Dark Realms

flavourin

• Decks
« Risposta #8 il: Dicembre 04, 2017, 11:29:15 pm »
It's 2 extra mana for what is essentially a Crypt Ghast. Trust me, you won't use the second ability as much as you think. I would actually also replace the two remaining Revenants with 2 Liliana of the Dark Realms
Yeah that actually sounds logic. I think I'll try both versions, with 2 and with none nirkana's, and see how does it works. thank you very much!

Merseybeat

• Decks
« Risposta #9 il: Dicembre 05, 2017, 11:26:37 pm »
I love it! I'll probably try this deck soon :)

THEpuy

• Decks
« Risposta #10 il: Dicembre 07, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »
I know this is kinda rude to say but I'm not sure how this deck warrants 9 likes. It's kinda garbage. Not doing anything at all until turn 4-5 will get you killed in modern every time. The turn 2 play I did see has an objectively better counterpart.

THEpuy

• Decks
« Risposta #11 il: Dicembre 07, 2017, 05:56:04 pm »
EDIT: didn't notice you were also playing sakura tribe elder. I think this deck really just needs some elvish mystics.

Borg

• Decks
« Risposta #12 il: Dicembre 07, 2017, 08:57:16 pm »
Beginning magic players seem to have a tendency to play too many high cost cards.
This deck is no exception. There are 14 4cc cards and not a single 1cc card.

As a basic rule of thumb for beginning magic players I would suggest this deckbuilding method
Choose eight 1cc cards ( 2x4 identical cards )
Choose eight 2cc cards ( 2x4 identical cards )
Choose eight to twelve 3cc cards
Round out with 4+cc cards.
You will soon notice that your deck plays smoother this way than when filled with fifteen or more 4+1cc cards.

Hope this helps.

Btw, you really should add a 1cc mana elf
Dawntreader elk is far inferior to sakura-tribe elder. Having to pay to sacrifice the elk is killer.
Suggestion : find something better ☺
Success.

flavourin

• Decks
« Risposta #13 il: Dicembre 08, 2017, 10:49:40 am »
I know this is kinda rude to say but I'm not sure how this deck warrants 9 likes. It's kinda garbage. Not doing anything at all until turn 4-5 will get you killed in modern every time. The turn 2 play I did see has an objectively better counterpart.

Thank you for the feedback thecrazymagicman :). As you have noticed I also think that sakura tribe-elder rushes things a bit. However, as Borg have said, Dawntreader Elk is not working really smooth, so it's true that this deck has a slow start.

I've been thinking about using Caravan Vigil. I think that it could be really greate with sakura tribe-elder because of morbid, but since caravan vigil is a sorcery, I would need to choose between using sakura for bloking before sacrificing it or sacrifice it on the same turn I play it in order to also play caravan vigil (as long as I already have 3 mana for playing both).

Maybe it would even work with dawntreader elk, since I could play it on turn 2, and on turn 3 sacrifice it (2 mana left), play caravan vigil (steel 2 mana left because of morbid) and then play a sacura-tribe elder or another elk. What do you guys think? I think that this is better than the Elvish Mystic that you both are suggesting since lands will be giving me 2 mana on the late game (after crypt ghast or nirkana), while the elf won't be of much use... In fact I already tried the elf on this deck some time ago and ended up removing it, but If you think it can really be worth it I'll try again along with all your other suggestions.

Also I have to say that even when this deck has a bit tough beginning, tendrils of correuption can give you a lot of life at turn 6 or 7 if you have had a bad start, and even more if you can wait a bit to play it, while at the same time it controls the population on your opponent's battlefield. And momentous fall can give you even much more life while letting you chose a hand between 12 or 13 cards, or even more if used with nirkana.

I don't know, as I said on my first comment I'm neew and I'm looking for feedback, so thank a lot to all of you. I will try every suggestion you are making. Thank you Borg for this deck guide, I will keep that in mind. It is SO true that I'm constantly looking for mana expensive cards T_T...

Borg

• Decks
« Risposta #14 il: Dicembre 08, 2017, 11:18:06 am »
Your deck would really gain some speed and effectiveness by using the Veteran Explorer / Cabal Therapy engine ( that's 2 four-off's I'm suggesting 😉 )